Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

/ignore, /leave trade, useless?

So I'm having a conversation in trade chat and someone gets offended. This is nothing new to me as someone always always gets offended and throws a fit. As always, I apologize for offending them and remind them that if they do not like the conversation topic you can leave trade chat. At this point, this person gets unbelievably offended telling me I've broken the ToS, this game is designed so everyone can enjoy it, why should they have to leave and not me, etc.

At which point I had lost patience and said, if you're that offended, ignore me. Problem solved. No. That was too hard. Instead, this person opens a ticket complains to a GM and gets me suspended for 2 days (pending a permanent ban based on my lovely response to the GM).

My question is why has this game turned into a care bear circle jerk in which people will simply complain until they get what they want? They do it with everything in this game. Specifically in this situation is why can people simply just ignore someone? Or leave trade or anything else?

Is someone says something in trade chat that you don't like do you just ignore them or do you go balls out bonkers and report them to the point they get suspended?

*waits for trolls*

people are just fucking dumb, u cant do anything with it m8

Because people are tired of other people who abuse trade chat for stuff that doesn't have anything to do with trading.

Not having the context of what you said little judgment can be rendered but (I might be totally off base) it might be nice to see trade chat used ... for trade.

I get trade is used for everything, but people have made trolling the sole reason for playing the game and some (not necessarily you) people waste so much time on the ANAL [insert skill/talent/item], Real World Politics, blizz bitching, religion, raid building, or just plain being rude, and all I wanted was to find a gem cheaper than the Auction House.

I'm honestly not opposed to any GM action that gets idiots out of trade and it being used to actually do business in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    Because people are tired of other people who abuse trade chat for stuff that doesn't have anything to do with trading.
    This.

Deleted
    I have trade channel disabled, mostly because of all the spam and kids on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    It would all depend on what you said to offend this person without that i cant make a clear call on if you was right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lorrel View Post
    My question is why has this game turned into a care bear circle jerk in which people will simply complain until they get what they want? They do it with everything in this game.
    Ooooh you got this one right bro. So right! =)

Everyone knows trade isn't for trade! It's for poorly worded guild recruitment. ~_^

And regardless of the context of the conversation, I feel I handed the situation appropriately until the guy wouldn't drop the subject.

I also really don't see the need to go so far as to report someone in an attempt to ban them when you can simply ignore them in a matter of seconds and never see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by lorrel View Post
    So I'm having a conversation in trade chat[...]
    I stopped reading right there; People talking in trade chat are people who either: A) Is bored, B) Doesn't know the the whisper system actually works. Either way it only leads to chit-chat, which deserves stupid comments.

My server trade chat is constantly filled with wanna-be trolls and people talking about (usually) stupid and useless topics. Someone trying to sell something amongst the chat can maybe see 5 seconds of uptime on a good day. Ignoring doesn't help, because it only blocks messages for you. Your ad to sell will still fly off the page for others.

Saying that, without the context of your conversation no one can really say anything. Maybe tell us what you were talking about? Better not be [Ferocious Butt][Pounding][For the Children] or I will hunt you down.

Yea some people are dumb, I see those kind of ppl everyday. Just be greatful for your level of intellegence and ignore them

It really depends if you were being an idiot or not haha.

Could you give us some context? What did you say that offended him?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    This! all those damn anal jokes and bunch of BS on /2 is really, really annoying.
    So whenever i created a new toon, and get into a city its /leave 2.

Yeah, I can't comment on this, and neither can anyone else. Maybe you're a guy who got wronged by an overly sensitive primadonna; but you could also be a colossal douchebag who was being completely insufferable in trade chat for hours and hours on end. We really have no way to know either way.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    It would all depend on what you said to offend this person without that i cant make a clear call on if you was right or not.
    This. And for everyone else who replies with this. Forget the context. It's irrelevant.

For the sake of the topic just say someone hypothetically said something in trade chat that wasn't directed to you in anyway, but you were offended by the topic of the conversation. Upon making your opinion known, the person apologizes and says just leave trade or ignore me. Do you go on a self-righteous crusade to make your point known and ban them or just ignore them and be done with it?

---------- Post added 2010-08-02 at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lilsaint View Post
    Better not be [Ferocious Butt][Pounding][For the Children] or I will hunt you down.
    Every time the anal jokes start on my realm I link that and say "If anyone has something better than this link it, if not, stfu." - That usually works.

I have had serveral threats of reports since I have a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way.
    I am very forthcoming with telling people what they do not like to hear.
    Despite this I have yet to receive any sort of ban, or even any warning or communication.
    Without knowing the context we cannot really judge if what happened was appropriate or not.
    I have no doubt that the GM's looked into what was said at the time and made a judgement on that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaria View Post
    Yea some people are dumb, I see those kinds of people everyday. Just be grateful for your level of intelligence and ignore them.
    Fixed the basic errors for you.

;-)

While I don't care enough to report people for what happens in trade for the most part (aside from "failboat"s and other beat-to-death ASCII macros spammed over and over), some people view conversations in it being like two people shouting at each other in a crowded room when they could simply whisper to each other.

You're surely not the biggest problem with trade, but you're a small part of a larger problem.

I'm getting the vibe from you that you don't think anything said could be so offensive and unpleasant that it should warrant disciplinary action. At least, that's what you seem to imply when you say that context is irrelevant. So now I really grow rather suspicious of what you might have said, since you refuse to repeat it.

Personally, I have no sympathy for someone who loses some playing time because they said something horribly racist/sexist/homophobic and got taken to task for it.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.