A Little Resto Help

So I'm a relatively fresh 80, and I've been running a lot of heroics/TOC10/whatever, and gotten my gearscore up to ~5k. So my gear isn't terrible, I've done the right gems, ect., though I know I'm missing a socket in my belt, cus it's brand new. Anyway, I feel like I'm geared for the things I run, even though I'm only pullling about 2k-3k hps.
    My general stratagy is to rejuv whoever gets hurt and swiftmend them after. If Swift is down I nourish. Also I WG when there's raid dmg and sometimes pre-rejuv on people who I know are about to take damage.

And before you say anything about it, I lived and breathed the druid guide when gearing this guy, so I have gone over that.

Thanks for the help!

Armory: Rawrirkitty On Whipserwind. Won't let me post the link =/ Sorry.

I have no resto druid. But as heals, basing ur talent on ur hps isn't quite effective. I have a resto shaman, and on heroic dungeons/marrowgar2Saurfang, i deal about 3.5hps. Which I thought sucked, but with the same gear, on more heal intensive fights like fester and heroic BQ, my heals were about 8.5hps. That only means that ur HPS will highly be based on every fight and you won't be able to use it as a indication of ur heals quality until high end fights. If you keep tanks up, u dont wipe people, and u dont go out of mana after trash. You are fine lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    I have no resto druid. But as heals, basing ur talent on ur hps isn't quite effective. I have a resto shaman, and on heroic dungeons/marrowgar2Saurfang, i deal about 3.5hps. Which I thought sucked, but with the same gear, on more heal intensive fights like fester and heroic BQ, my heals were about 8.5hps. That only means that ur HPS will highly be based on every fight and you won't be able to use it as a indication of ur heals quality until high end fights. If you keep tanks up, u dont wipe people, and u dont go out of mana after trash. You are fine lol
    Well the problem is that there are people who are equally geared or less geared than me who are doing better than me. So I'm not just judging it by hps. For instance I was sixth of six in My Icc 25gdkp and in a toc25, with people who were at the same level of gear. So it's not only hps that makes me think I'm lagging behind.

Deleted
    Staff from saurfang10 (awesome haste)
    Frost badge trinket
    Frost badge chest
    2nd trinket from either marrowgar10, jaraxxus25 or gunship25.

Overall, obtain better gear. With enough mana regen you should be able to keep rejuv on 10 ppl in a 10man raid with using innervate once or twice in a fight. If you don't like the rejuv spam, you can only cast rejuv on those who need it, like tanks and ppl with som kind of dmg taken (spike, DnD or mark of blood).

Pre-hotting is a good idea when things like bonestorm, adds on L DW or rotface/fester happends.

Hope it helped

are you using a healing mod? if not then i suggest you get one. at the very minimum get a decent unit frame mod (grid, x-perl, ect..) and run mouse over macros. Reason being is that they greatly increase your reaction time. If you are getting beat by comparably geared people then that means they are getting more heals out to people who need it faster. Better reaction time = more GCDs = more healing

You have been using the druid guide? you sure about that? you might want to read it over a few more times...

dont ever gem SP/int in your yellow sockets. Those gems should be SP/haste. Upgrade to epic gems. Put a belt buckle in your belt. +10 to stats on your chest.

Get rid of your current shoulders and grab the T9 shoulders. Get rid of your boots and have Blessed cenarion Boots made. Grind honor and get the PvP haste cape, or run ony25 for the haste cape there. Or pray you get lucky in TOC25 or ICC. Get the emblem of heroism trinket and the emblem of frost trinket. In fact, pick up any trinkets at all, since yours are complete junk at the moment.

Move the point in natural perfection over to empowered touch. NP is the last place i would dump surplus talent points. That or switch to a 3/3 celestial focus spec for the added haste which you could use.

Alot of a druids effective heals come from prehotting someone that you know will take damage before it happens.. aka big aoe spell about to cast.. like bonestorm on marrowgar. And for fights where its constant aoe damage. It never hurts to have a few rejuv's rolling on the raid before the pull even starts.

Always keep hots on the tank, and if you know a switch is comming-never hurts to load the other tank up with hots early so they are already ticking.

Grid and mouse overmacros work wonders, not only is everyones unitframe grouped in a nice area you can have it display the hots that are on the target and debuffs if you like. (the macro I use is: /use [target=mouseover, help] [ ] Rejuvenation )

Gems, red-spellpower, blue-spellpower/spirit, yellow-sp/haste

If you are running low on mana early hit innervate when you hit 70% or so mana. It's up again faster than you think.

With t9 it's ok to have some crit but moving into t10 gear crit becomes less and less valuable, since your talents act as good enough crit modifiers. And you want haste to try and get that t10 bonus to proc more. Plus you heal faster which is awesome!

Trinkets: I don't think yours are that bad. I personally try to aim for anything thats a flat spellpower increase with a mana regen component or with some sort of proc heal/haste.

Spells: Rejuvenation is the best you could have rolling on people atm.
    I use Wildgrowth on cooldown. (I usually mostly cast it on melee since range is normally so spreadout + it will hit the tanks)
    Swiftmend is situational.
    Nourish is wonderful combined with the Living seed talent on tanks and on some aoe fights when the dps likes to get cozy in fire. It's also a great clutch heal.
    Regrowth.. This spell has mixed feelings from me now. The cast time is longer than Nourish but It applies a hot.. So the target is usually topped before the cast is off but they have a nice hot placed on them and if it crits you get a living seed. I really only use this spell on the tanks since the hot lasts for so long. It has its uses in other fights as well for raid healing, but its up to you to find that happy place to use it.
    I always use Healing Touch in conjunction to Natures Swiftness, the cast time is just too long to be used normally.
    Lifebloom.. -_- You just have to get used to timers on fights on when to time the bloom for it.. Or just use it on people that have a little health missing the Bloom is almost always going to be an over heal, so don't think you are doing something horribly wrong when its an over heal. Great on tanks. Let it bloom for an insane chance crit if they are not topped. and if they are full health refresh the spell. Personally I like this spell on sindragosa :3 for the raid combined with rejuv's. pewpew

My Armory If you want to poke around and check my gearing/gems for an idea. If you use my talent spec shift points into Nature's Grace (-2 from Tranquil spirit, and -1 from revitalize) till you get more haste.
    Last edited by Quippi; 2010-08-02 at 10:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't think those trinkets are that bad???

If you have been raiding ToC and pug ICC runs than you have enough gear to run ICC heroics. Get snowflake, get the frost badge trinket, even get the hero badge trinket. OS trinkets, Uld trinkets, and ToC trinkets are better than those.

As a resto druid never take MP5 trinkets. Though your other is ok, by now you should have better. That is probably the worse green trinket you can have a resto. If you can't get better and have to use a green, use a base SP one.

In 25s on the majority of fights at your gear level, and esp in pugs, just Rejuv blanket. Rejuv and WG any spike. Let your other raid healers take care of direct healing. On fights like Rotface pre-hot people that will take dmg and fully hot tanks.

Same thing for fights like Marrow. P1, fully hot tanks and rejuv/sm spikes. Start pre-hotting for bonestorm and just keep blanketing until it's over.
    LDW, hot tanks, WG DnD, and pre-hot. P2, blanket.
    Boneship, doubt anything needs explaining.
    Saur, fully hot tanks, rejuv BBs and WG if people are too close. Once marks go out, get full hots up on them and your tanks.

If you are rejuving once people are hurt like you said, your ticks wont heal enough before someone overrides them. Pre-hot as much as you can, learn how and when to blanket, and your healing should increase a lot.

If you upgrade your gems and fix your enchants you wont have as many mana problems. Don't use the crit enchants until you have far than enough mana to last any fight. Since your gear isn't really ICC yet you should have to CF spec like Cere said. Look in the druid guide again, or any druid guide, and you should find specs for not being haste caped.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerelli View Post
    are you using a healing mod? if not then i suggest you get one. at the very minimum get a decent unit frame mod (grid, x-perl, ect..) and run mouse over macros. Reason being is that they greatly increase your reaction time. If you are getting beat by comparably geared people then that means they are getting more heals out to people who need it faster. Better reaction time = more GCDs = more healing
    I'm currently using VuhDo, and before that I had healbot. I just click (IE left click people for rejuv or right click for regrowth ect) instead of mouseover and use my actionbar. Do mouse over macros work better?
    You have been using the druid guide? you sure about that? you might want to read it over a few more times...

dont ever gem SP/int in your yellow sockets. Those gems should be SP/haste. Upgrade to epic gems. Put a belt buckle in your belt. +10 to stats on your chest.
    "Yellow Socket = Luminous Ametrine (12SP/10Int)"
    Leveling enchanting, and don't have the +10 yet, but I'll get it when I'm high enough. And Currently, I'm not sure how long I'll have gear so I'm not doing epic gems yet. However, if it's a noticeable difference I'll upgrade. And Belt gem is coming, just need to cut it on my alt :P

Get rid of your current shoulders and grab the T9 shoulders. Get rid of your boots and have Blessed cenarion Boots made. Grind honor and get the PvP haste cape, or run ony25 for the haste cape there. Or pray you get lucky in TOC25 or ICC. Get the emblem of heroism trinket and the emblem of frost trinket. In fact, pick up any trinkets at all, since yours are complete junk at the moment.

Move the point in natural perfection over to empowered touch. NP is the last place i would dump surplus talent points. That or switch to a 3/3 celestial focus spec for the added haste which you could use.
    I know my trinkets are bad, I just have't been lucky with drops. Saw Solace drop once in a gdkp and went for 5k, which was more than I had. I'm gonna get a group for halls soon, just haven't even finished Pit of Saron yet. Trust me, I hate my trinkets too.

If you are running low on mana early hit innervate when you hit 70% or so mana. It's up again faster than you think.

With t9 it's ok to have some crit but moving into t10 gear crit becomes less and less valuable, since your talents act as good enough crit modifiers. And you want haste to try and get that t10 bonus to proc more. Plus you heal faster which is awesome!
    I don't actually find myself loosing mana very quickly. If I do, I innervate myself, but I also time it to where I use it once near the beginning of the fight, and so I can use it twice in one fight.

And Currently, I don't have a raiding guild, so t10 isn't exactly in reach right now. Out of two weeks of ICC raids I've done, I have 59 trinkets (this is weeklies and random heroics too). So One more 'til I get the next trinket XD. Haste does seems like an issue with me. I'm nowhere near capped. despite how much I want to be. When I do use my haste trinket, I feel like I'm much better with my 1 second GCD. So I'm going to try and take haste over crit from now on.
    Trinkets: I don't think yours are that bad. I personally try to aim for anything thats a flat spellpower increase with a mana regen component or with some sort of proc heal/haste.

Spells: Rejuvenation is the best you could have rolling on people atm.
    I use Wildgrowth on cooldown. (I usually mostly cast it on melee since range is normally so spreadout + it will hit the tanks)
    Swiftmend is situational.
    Nourish is wonderful combined with the Living seed talent on tanks and on some aoe fights when the dps likes to get cozy in fire. It's also a great clutch heal.
    Regrowth..
    I always use Healing Touch in conjunction to Natures Swiftness, the cast time is just too long to be used normally.
    Lifebloom.. -_- You just have to get used to timers on fights on when to time the bloom for it.. Or just use it on people that have a little health missing the Bloom is almost always going to be an over heal, so don't think you are doing something horribly wrong when its an over heal. Great on tanks. Let it bloom for an insane chance crit if they are not topped. and if they are full health refresh the spell. Personally I like this spell on sindragosa :3 for the raid combined with rejuv's. pewpew

My Armory If you want to poke around and check my gearing/gems for an idea. If you use my talent spec shift points into Nature's Grace (-2 from Tranquil spirit, and -1 from revitalize) till you get more haste.
    Rejuv is my go-to for pretty much anything, so if I prehot or someone takes a little damage, I throw a rejuvenation on them.

Personaly I find that Swiftmend does more healing than nourish. I don't remember what they do when they don't crit, because my scrolling text makes it really huge when they do, but it seems like Swiftmend hits for about 11k ad nourish around 8k. I think, but I'm not sure, that that was with one hot. PLus Swiftmend is slightly less mana. Speaking of nourish, if I have 2 hots and nourish, is that 52% more (with glyph) or still only 26% bonus healing? In other words, does the bonus healing from hots stack for Nourish? I thought it did, but someone else told me it did not, so I'm confused on that issue. Though Nourish isn't on a CD and in awesome with haste trinkets.

I use WG, HT, and Regrowth pretty much the same way you do. I only use Lifebloom on OoC procs for the mana. Again, I pug, and haven't gotten anywhere near Sindragosa. We got Realm first 25m LK Heroic yesterday so... our server is behind. Or so I'm told :P.

And I'm working on the trinket thing. As I said before, Almost have the lunar dust.

---------- Post added 2010-08-02 at 08:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    In 25s on the majority of fights at your gear level, and esp in pugs, just Rejuv blanket. Rejuv and WG any spike. Let your other raid healers take care of direct healing. On fights like Rotface pre-hot people that will take dmg and fully hot tanks.

Same thing for fights like Marrow. P1, fully hot tanks and rejuv/sm spikes. Start pre-hotting for bonestorm and just keep blanketing until it's over.
    LDW, hot tanks, WG DnD, and pre-hot. P2, blanket.
    Boneship, doubt anything needs explaining.
    Saur, fully hot tanks, rejuv BBs and WG if people are too close. Once marks go out, get full hots up on them and your tanks.
    So Pretty much hot anyone about to take damage for sure, tanks, and then put as many hots on other people as possible?

If you are rejuving once people are hurt like you said, your ticks wont heal enough before someone overrides them. Pre-hot as much as you can, learn how and when to blanket, and your healing should increase a lot.

If you upgrade your gems and fix your enchants you wont have as many mana problems. Don't use the crit enchants until you have far than enough mana to last any fight. Since your gear isn't really ICC yet you should have to CF spec like Cere said. Look in the druid guide again, or any druid guide, and you should find specs for not being haste caped.
    Crit on my head is because I'm still grinding Wyrmest Rep.
    Also, Rejuv blanket: Hot up ~15 people (less in my case prolly ~12 cus of tanks, gcd, ect.) and constantly keep Rejuv up? I feel like when I do that, I only heal those 10 or 12, and the others not at all.

(I just remembered I logged out in moonkingear after raging in pvp x.X Oops! )

I feel your pain on not having enough haste. Having too little makes you feel inadequate and then too much drives you nuts with GCD clipping *smallrage* (which is the reasoning behind me dropping Natures Grace)

As for the glyph of nourish I believe with all Hots (regrowth, rejuv, lifebloom, wildgrowth) it will heal for 44% more.
    Since you get 20% more for just having a hot on the target, then the glyph adds an additional 6% for each hot.

I personally hate rejuv blanketing.. but sadly you have to do that sometimes.. I really only blanket on fights where I know aoe is going to happen and even then you sometimes have an idea of who it will hit (melee or some wonky ranged aoe spell), but really if you only focus on 10 or 12 people thats not too bad since you won't be the only healer and thats 10 or so people having a trickle of health refreshed.

I've found to really focus on the squishy type people.. Like Mages, priests, or that dorky Moonkin/elemental shaman since they tend to be the last people to try and do anything about their hp dipping. Rogues are kinda bad about it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be boring but it will put out the most healing output. On any fight there is Aura dmg you should always blanket and WG. On non-aura fights it will be really based on mechanics.

Like said on LDW, in P2 since frostbolts go out raid wide you will do more healing output blanketing than anything else.
    The others are pretty easy to estimate once you get in them. Like princes, you probably won't blanket. But depending on how many healers they take, and pugs on my servers trade take a ton, blanket will still probably give you the most output in the end even then.

With such low haste the amount of people you will be able to rejuv will be a lot lower. But if you have another druid tell them your going from the back and they should go from the front that way everyone will at least have rejuv on them. On aura fights don't worry about hotting the tanks with your gear yet. Just focus on blanketing the raid.

If the guide does say int it just hasn't been updated or something. Use haste/sp. The only time you will switch to int is if you have BiS, and even then, I just gem straight SP instead.

Maxi, in your opening you seem to be implying that you are waiting for dmg before you cast heals. That's not how druids work, particularly in 25mans these days. You should be casting constantly, whether that be spreading Rejuves on the raid and WG on cooldown, or throwing HoTs on a couple of tanks at times when raid dmg is low and there is none expected very soon. If you're not casting 99.9% of the time, either you're doing it wrong or there are too many healers.

Swiftmend is your emergency heal. When the target is not in immediate danger of dying, it's a waste to put it on cd when Nourish would do the job. 2 seconds later you might need Swiftmend in a big hurry, and it's not there.

One more thing when you're comparing your numbers to the other healers - was this progression raiding or a stroll in the park? If the healing is easy, or there are too many healers, resto druid numbers look awful. Direct heals are quicker than HoTs, by definition, so when the healers are bored and fighting between themselves to hit the few targets, you get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    4. Stat Priorities

Being primarily HoT-based healers, druids rely heavily on stats that improve the effectiveness of their HoTs. In general, stat priorities for druids are very simple, but at higher levels of gear these priorities change and become a bit more complex.

Early levels of gear:
    • Spell Power > Spirit > Int > Mp5 > Haste > Crit > Stam

Once mana becomes less of an issue:
    • Spell Power > Spirit > Haste > Int > Mp5 > Crit > Stam

Once you have more than ~1500 Spell Power:
    • Spell Power > Haste (to soft cap) > Spirit > Crit > Haste (past soft cap) > Int > Mp5 > Stam
    For early levels of gear I suggest Int only because druids just starting to gear for raiding will likely have very little mana to start with. However, a druid doing ICC content is certainly not in "early levels of gear," in which case the second and, in this case, third options apply. In the guide, I'll update that to say "Pre-raiding gear."

Deleted
    Maxi,

As many people have pointed out, it seems that from what you are saying that you are waiting until people get damaged or about the get damaged and then you Rejuv them. This is not the druid game, we pre-hot people around and hit WG when it is off cooldown, while always keeping a ticking Rejuv on tanks, given your haste you should be casting 3-4 rejuv before you use WG.

Try to delve a bit more in the balance tree and get Celestial Focus as it will give the much needed haste - you can sacrifice the one point from Natural Perfection and then 3-points from either Living Seed or Revitalize. Now I do not know if you are doing 25-man raiding if you do primarily 25-man scrap glyph of Noursh and use Glyph of Rapid Rejuvenation. For 10-man its up to you, especially if you are asked to heal tanks, which sometimes happens.

I hope that helps. I bet you can get a better badge from your current one with Hero emblems.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    (I just remembered I logged out in moonkingear after raging in pvp x.X Oops! )

I feel your pain on not having enough haste. Having too little makes you feel inadequate and then too much drives you nuts with GCD clipping *smallrage* (which is the reasoning behind me dropping Natures Grace)

As for the glyph of nourish I believe with all Hots (regrowth, rejuv, lifebloom, wildgrowth) it will heal for 44% more.
    Since you get 20% more for just having a hot on the target, then the glyph adds an additional 6% for each hot.

I personally hate rejuv blanketing.. but sadly you have to do that sometimes.. I really only blanket on fights where I know aoe is going to happen and even then you sometimes have an idea of who it will hit (melee or some wonky ranged aoe spell), but really if you only focus on 10 or 12 people thats not too bad since you won't be the only healer and thats 10 or so people having a trickle of health refreshed.

I've found to really focus on the squishy type people.. Like Mages, priests, or that dorky Moonkin/elemental shaman since they tend to be the last people to try and do anything about their hp dipping. Rogues are kinda bad about it as well.
    GCD Clipping?
    Thanks for clearing that up about nourish.
    And if not Rejuv blanketing then what? Just hot the tanks and Hot anyone who will for sure get damage? I'll remember that about squishy people.

I'll reply to other people soon, about to go on vacation for 2 weeks, and I'm tired now, but I have read through it. Thanks for the input!

10+ Year Old Account
    It really just depends on the fight, you will have to learn to judge for yourself. Any fight where 10+ people are going to take dmg at a time, or 5+ people more often(LDW frostbolts), you will still Blanket.

For instance, you have done up to Rot and Fester in 25. On Rot the beginning blanketing will be kind of useless. Focus on fully hotting tanks, hotting people with the debuff, WGing people who are getting hit by spit, and just watch for other dmg. At the end of the fight, esp in pugs, the dmg will be so random, everyone will probably be taking dmg from one thing or another, and blaketing will be a lot more useful.

Most fights in ICC have mechanics where people get debuffs and will eventually take dmg. Watch for those. If you see the raid isn't taking dmg, make sure your tanks are fully hotted. Resto druid healing just comes with practice and knowing what the dmg is like on fights. In pugs, this is harder since you don't raid with the same 25 people every week and it will always be different. But if you know all the basic fights it's a good start. Try and find some ICC resto druid healing guide and you will probably find a per-fight guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisawesome538 View Post
    GCD Clipping?
    Thanks for clearing that up about nourish.
    And if not Rejuv blanketing then what? Just hot the tanks and Hot anyone who will for sure get damage? I'll remember that about squishy people.
    I just get annoyed with the Spell not ready yet mumbo jumbo that happens when the global cool down isn't ready yet and your spell cast is quicker than the 1 sec. Thats what I mean with GCD Clipping.
    And yea basically. As a druid its never worth it to wait for damage because the other healers will beat you to it.

Also, as other have pointed out if you are running raids alot, consider dropping the nourish glyph for the Glyph of Rapid Rejuvenation You really shouldn't be casting nourish all that often to warrant a glyph spot for it (unless you are stuck strickly tank healing which probably isn't going to happen). The glyph decreases the time your rejuvenation lasts but you can get more ticks in less time as your haste grows. Also really helps your healing output.

the rapid rejuv glyph is situational. If you are a lone druid healing a 25 man raid then it isn't a glyph you would want to roll with. you get more healing done on less people which means that half the raid isn't getting heals from you at any given point in time. Or you can not use RR and have hots going on 3/4 of the raid as more of a buffer.

If there is multiple resto druids in the raid then RR is fine since you can split the blanket coverage between more than one person.

I've not read through all the responses, but judging from the size of them it looks like people have given you a lot of info already.

I'd recommend going onto the official forums and finding a thread by lissana (don't remember the spelling). Do whatever she says.

Also, make sure you are using raidframes (i'd recommend Vuhdo, the HoT lines are great, but grid and healbot are probably just as good), and using every GCD.

"It turns out the only signature he needed was my fist! ... But with a pen in it ... that i was signing with."

10+ Year Old Account
    While his guide is fine and copy/pasting is hard, I actually find the guide on here and the person backing them a lot more accurate.

And like said, RR is very situational/ If you aren't at haste cap I wouldn't use it. In 25s, once your capped(either with out without CF) and the only druid, still don't use it.

If you are capped with another druid, it's a very good glyph.

Deleted
    I'd suggest one thing when you are learning to heal: try to eliminate distractions.

If you need to *think* about mana during encounters then get more mana (idol of awakening, solaces, int/spirit gems even).

While it can be true that rapid rejuvenation is not preferable to all situations (Personally I prefer it in pretty much every ICC fight for various reasons) I'd strongly suggest not swapping such a 'game changing' glyph every fight. You'll just end up confusing yourself if you have to mentally change between 12 second and 18 second rejuvenations when most of the time it's not the fight but the strategy that determines if you want it.