Deleted

Why is my Dps so poor?

Hi there i recently dinged 80 but have geared quite well in the week nd a bit,

eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&cn=Hoodini

But there is a problem :S doing icc 10 and 25 i realised my dps is so poor and i cant work out why im not playing combat wrong im doin the roation right with ss nd snd etc but the thing is my dps is poor and i dont get why :S i was hoping people here could shed some light into maybe why and how i could get it up,

My current dps is,
    Icc 10 = 6.7k stand still, 5.8k moving
    Icc 25 = 7.8k stand still, 7.1k moving

I dont get why this is like this im doing the roation right as i said but im still quite low i was getting outdpsed from a half epic half blue ret pally in icc 10 :S

I think it cud be my cooldowns useage as im using things to earlier or at the wrong time but i was just hoping some more experienced rogues could shed some light on my situation and how i can improve my dps and also why its so low :P

Ty for reading this My armoury page is posted at the top of the thread and the bottom hope to here from you guys and girls soon with some ideas as i really wish to improve my dps.

eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nordrassil&cn=Hoodini

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd need to see a WoL/WMO parse to really go into detail, so all I can do is give you gear/enchant pointers.
    Your nightmare tear is in a yellow socket. Put it in your best blue socket. Probably your chest or boots depending on what the spreadsheet says. Your helm has a resil enchant. Get the better one from ebon blade rep. Rocketboots would help a bit with the whole movement thing. Mining sucks, replace it with anything that's not tailoring or gathering professions.
    Most of all: Your mainhand is significantly behind the rest of your gear and it's probably holding you back. It has a terrible enchant and is fairly low DPS on it's own.

Past the gear analysis I can't really tell you what you're doing wrong without knowing what you do in the first place. Either explaining how you play or providing a WMO/WoL parse (or both) is the only way I could really diagnose what's wrong.
    What I'd need to know: What kind of raid buffs did you have? What poisons do you use? What general priority queue do you use? Are there any special strategies your guild uses that could put you at a DPS disadvantage? How do you use your cooldowns? Do you flask/eat food? Do you use speed pots or thistle tea?
    Etc...

Deleted
    A k i was thinking of going ARP sockets full but i dont think i got enough passive ARP to do it yet, also indeed my MH sucks but i cant find a better one atmo without getting lucky in icc 10/25, Speaking to people they think its the main reason my dps lacks but also i can see it wud be holding me bk.

Im working on the ebon rep near exalted, nd mining was on this char as a filler for gold but i will probs change it to JC.

Also i do eat food i use speed pot and my guild do run around alot on some fights nd stand in the flasks on put which is annoying lol.

The raids buffs today where,
    Kings,
    Flask
    Fish
    Gotw
    Horn
    battle shout
    and the warrior beserk buff thing :P

I use most of my cooldowns when i can but i hold a few for Hero, I use my haste gloves when there off cooldown, I use Engi bombs when there off cooldown, I use Ks as a filler for low energy, I use blade flurry when hero is used and there for after as my guild tend to use it early in a fight. Adrenaline rush i use on Heroism

Posions are MH = instant OH = deadly

My priority queue is like most combat rogues which is SS to 1 Snd , SS to 4 Evis but the queue its self is Evis over SnD then get SnD pack up after ive done the evis which im not sure if its right or not,

Like il SS the boss to 4 with SnD up but if it falls of il continue with the SS nd hit Evis then put SnD back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodini101 View Post
    A k i was thinking of going ARP sockets full but i dont think i got enough passive ARP to do it yet, also indeed my MH sucks but i cant find a better one atmo without getting lucky in icc 10/25, Speaking to people they think its the main reason my dps lacks but also i can see it wud be holding me bk.

Im working on the ebon rep near exalted, nd mining was on this char as a filler for gold but i will probs change it to JC.

Also i do eat food i use speed pot and my guild do run around alot on some fights nd stand in the flasks on put which is annoying lol.

The raids buffs today where,
    Kings,
    Flask
    Fish
    Gotw
    Horn
    battle shout
    and the warrior beserk buff thing :P

I use most of my cooldowns when i can but i hold a few for Hero, I use my haste gloves when there off cooldown, I use Engi bombs when there off cooldown, I use Ks as a filler for low energy, I use blade flurry when hero is used and there for after as my guild tend to use it early in a fight. Adrenaline rush i use on Heroism

Posions are MH = instant OH = deadly

My priority queue is like most combat rogues which is SS to 1 Snd , SS to 4 Evis but the queue its self is Evis over SnD then get SnD pack up after ive done the evis which im not sure if its right or not,

Like il SS the boss to 4 with SnD up but if it falls of il continue with the SS nd hit Evis then put SnD back up.
    This is where you have strayed from the path since I certain you should be keeping up SnD over an extra evis (especially as a combat rogue) because your white hits are a significant part of your dps. To quote the combat pve guide on here:

"Your goal is to maintain 100% SnD uptime. A general ratio of dps loss from a dropped SnD is about 6:1; meaning it is better to refresh 6 seconds early than let it expire for 1 second. There is no right or wrong combo point number to refresh with; do it as late as possible without capping energy or dropping it."

Also I'm not certain on this but I have been lead to believe that Combat Rupture spec + rotations (2SnD/5R/2e) are slightly better dps then Combat Evis only spec + rotations. (As of 3.3.3 I believe/was told Evis only rotations are no longer viable.)
    Last edited by skitzin; 2010-08-03 at 01:26 AM.

Dont ever, ever let Slice and dice drop. 40% attack speed is huge. Especially with hack and slash sword/axe.

You are way over hit and expertise cap. As mut i know i need 27 expertise from gear, as combat you need even less then that due to talents. All you need is 315 hit rating. With maybe a little more at higher crit% levels.

Try picking up the 264 frost badge cloak, has lots of ArP, much better for combat then what you have.

Try to grab banner of victory from ToC or needle encrusted scorpion from FoS.

Try to use your CD's when your procs from your trinkets are up, it will help a lot.

And finally, Get 2 piece T10 ASAP and get a rogue to trade tricks of the trade with. 10% inc dmg for 10 seconds rocks. And the 15 energy instant regen is awsome when you hit dead spots in your rotation.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2010-08-03 at 01:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Mining sucks, replace it with anything that's not tailoring or gathering professions.
    What's wrong with tailoring as a profession?
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    What's wrong with tailoring as a profession?
    Certainly not the cloak enchant. Its procs line up almost exactly with the ashen exalted ring proc, for 880AP (915 due to savage combat) AP for up to 10 seconds.

However, I notice that the tailoring enchant procs roughly every 55s (based on testing on a dummy with fast/fast weapons, hard hit-capped, and dodge expertise-capped) vs the ring's 60s ICD, so they get desynced as the fight progresses.

You know whats soooooooo bad about rogues today and there mechanics for PvE.........(might be for pvp I dunno don't pvp that much)

Its the HUGE and I mean STUPIDLY HUGE amount of PASSIVE/WHITE damage we do which in tern IS our DPS.

When you add it up as I do frequently after boss fights you may find that 70%+ of your damage is coming from some form of AUTOMATIC move or from JUST auto-attacking the boss/mob.

#1 by a nice chunk alone is Melee (aka auto attack white damage) followed by poisons (not inc envenom, my envenom's take up around 7-8% of total damage done....)

So when 70%+ of our damage comes from JUST auto attacking a mob.......................

HOW HARD CAN IT BE xD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoogles View Post
    You know whats soooooooo bad about rogues today and there mechanics for PvE.........(might be for pvp I dunno don't pvp that much)

Its the HUGE and I mean STUPIDLY HUGE amount of PASSIVE/WHITE damage we do which in tern IS our DPS.

When you add it up as I do frequently after boss fights you may find that 70%+ of your damage is coming from some form of AUTOMATIC move or from JUST auto-attacking the boss/mob.

#1 by a nice chunk alone is Melee (aka auto attack white damage) followed by poisons (not inc envenom, my envenom's take up around 7-8% of total damage done....)

So when 70%+ of our damage comes from JUST auto attacking a mob.......................

HOW HARD CAN IT BE xD!!!
    To be fair, that is a very poor representation of how dps works for rogues. Sure, large amounts of your damage output will be automatic in some form or another, but they would not be so high without the inclusion of one's rotation, i.e. envemon buff, SnD, etc.

As for the OP, it's really just a matter of working on your itemization by focusing on arp gear, and then maximising your rotation; don't drop SnD and try to time your cooldowns properly. Easy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoogles View Post

HOW HARD CAN IT BE xD!!!
    If 70% of your overall damage is coming from white swings, you're doing something wrong.

A typical Recount for me looks something like:
    #1 Melee 34%
    #2 Instant Poison 33%
    #3 Envenom 13%
    #4 Mutilate 10%
    #5 Deadly Poison 8%
    #6 Whatever else makes up the last 2%

On some fights my IP overtakes my Melee in terms of most damage done.

Assuming I would only get half the IP procs I do if I didn't keep Envenom up, that would leave 34% (Melee) + 16.5% (IP) + 8% (DP) = 58.5% passive damage from auto attacking. Still a large amount, but not nearly as drastic as you claim.
    Last edited by Sarcasm; 2010-08-03 at 09:18 AM.
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodini101 View Post
    Hi there i recently dinged 80
    There's your problem.

You need to give a class time before you can expect yourself to be decent at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are Attack Power gems really viable for combat? not criticising i am just wondering.

10+ Year Old Account
    At low gear levels yes.

EDIT: More at low arp levels I guess.
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

If 70% of your overall damage is coming from white swings, you're doing something wrong.
    You're both right.

A Combat rogue's white hits makes up for a huge amount of his/her total damage done.

For example, on the last HDBS kill, my damage breakdown was:
    Melee 45.6%
    Sinister Strike 17.7%
    Instant Poison 16.4%
    Rupture 5.2%
    Killing Spree 5.8%
    Deadly Poison 4.5%
    and the rest.

If you add up the "passive" damaging attacks - Melee + IP + DP - 45.6 + 16.4 + 4.5 - it comes out to 66.5%. Pretty close to 70%.

Yes, his post had a bit of hyperbole about it, and he neglects to remember that to maintain that amount of passive damage the rogue needs to keep S&D up at the very minimum, but you get the idea.

Edit: For the OP, your main hand is really letting you down. Just about everything a Combat Rogue does will scale up from the MH weapon. SS - the main CP generator - will hit significantly harder with a better MH. Melee white hits will do more, Sword Spec procs will hit harder, etc.

Work on gearing - other posters have already pointed out better enchant/gemming options - and work on your movement. Maintaining high time on target on movement fights will do wonders for your DPS. Don't forget to use Feint/CloS to help you survive pbaoe damage.
    Last edited by Janus; 2010-08-04 at 12:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    You're both right.

A Combat rogue's white hits makes up for a huge amount of his/her total damage done.
    He would be right if he was combat. But he is assassination since he's talking about how much of his overall damage Envenom makes up (that or he's just a really bad combat rogue).

But yes, combat has a lot more passive damage than assassination.
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

He would be right if he was combat. But he is assassination since he's talking about how much of his overall damage Envenom makes up (that or he's just a really bad combat rogue).

Right you are. Missed him rabbiting on about Envenom.

Carry on, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Work on gearing - other posters have already pointed out better enchant/gemming options - and work on your movement. Maintaining high time on target on movement fights will do wonders for your DPS. Don't forget to use Feint/CloS to help you survive pbaoe damage.
    Let's not forget about the #1 most important thing a *combat* rogue can do to maximize time-on-target: Cat's Swiftness. This enchant is hugely important on putricide, lady deathwhisper, lich king, dreamwalker, blood princes, sindragosa... etc, etc. (Assassination rogues can talent run speed, so this argument doesn't apply to them).

except he didn't just say auto attacks, he said auto attacking and 'passive' damage, including instant poison, and if you look at your little breakdown, melee + instant poison procs = 67% of your damage...

10+ Year Old Account
    My Instant Poison makes up such a large amount of my damage because of the Envenom buff, which I do not have while auto attacking. So without it, Instant Poison only does half the damage, which I accounted for in my calculation.
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down