Deleted

DPS Masteries and Threat

Hola comrades,

when I read the masteries (the 3rd ones that are improved by m rating), it came to my mind that mastery rating in tanking trees mostly benefitted avoidance or hp (no problem with that per se), and dps trees get some kind of class specific damage buff (np either).

I, however, smell a gap between dps threat (scaling with damage, thus also with mastery rating) and tank threat (to put it simple, scales only with strength crit hit expertise etc, but not with mastery rating), especially in high level gear with tons of mastery.

An exception would be elemental shaman, with lightning overload producing no threat.

Any information I am missing?
    What do you think?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tanks' threat scales with stam now due to vengeance, which should be the tool blizz uses to solve threat scaling issues. Also, would you choose avoidance or threat as a tank? I would go for avoidance (especially in cata), so I like my mastery improving my avoidance.

Deleted
    aye the vengeance, right.
    most probably Tanks will choose avoidance, there's nothing not to like about that, i just wondered about the discrepance mentioned above.

Blizzard did say that threat would become an issue in cata again, and it looks like it will be. :|

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well we don't go for dps stats anyway, i.e. dodge and parry barely have any effect on our tps. We do cap hit/exp but that isn't changing in cata. The dps will scale with their stats (crit/haste/mastery) and we'll scale with our stam, as long as they can balance that we'll be fine. I also don't really consider it a discrepancy either as mastery improves the primary job of each role, ours helps us stay alive, dps's helps them pump out numbers. Frankly it's be weird seeing tanks get improved tps and survivability from one stat imo.