Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    1.9 - 3rd Jan 2006: AQ20 & AQ40 Release

April 19, 2006: 12:10 AM (est):

* Lowered the hit points of both Giant Claw Tentacles and Giant Eye Tentacles.
    * Decreased the damage caused by Ground Rupture, and made the effect resistable.
    * Significantly decreased the melee damage done by Giant Eye Tentacles.

In the 1.10.1 patch, we also changed the way that C’thun identifies who is in his stomach. The faction changing debuff that was previously applied will no longer appear, but C’thun’s tentacles should not spawn in the stomach, nor should a player in the stomach be the target of C’thun’s Eye Beam.

The combination of these changes should give players more time to damage C'thun instead of dealing with tentacles, and see fewer “unavoidable, random” deaths occur due to Ground Rupture effects." -Drysc (Raids and Dungeons Forum) Source

April 25, 2006 11:13 AM (est):

* We fixed a bug which was causing the Giant Eye Tentacles to still spawn during C'Thun's weakened state in the second phase of the encounter. It's not intended for anything to be spawning during his weakened state. Please note, however, that if there are already spawns up during the weakened state, they will not despawn. This fix merely prevents *new* tentacles from spawning during that state.

* Also, the duration between alternating tentacle spawns has been slightly increased.

First kill after the 'hotfix'......25th April.

Phase 2 was as far as I saw but I can't remember if it was Pre or Post 'Fix', I just remember it being stupidly hard.

Harder than anything today?

That's apples and oranges I'm afraid. Vanilla was a different beast to how things roll today.

By the time the fix came out there were only a couple of months before Naxx....we never bothered.

EU - Haomarush, guild Buccaneers - Ahhh the memories
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2010-08-04 at 04:29 PM. Reason: I can't spell :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ðuracell View Post
    HLK25 0% Buff wants to talk to you.
    ARe you serious? Skill is one thing but encounter mechanics and numbers behind it is another. LK 25HC is now proved to be possible. With original C'Thun, Blizzard admitted that the fight was broken and they were directly monitoring the first kill post-fix in order to enure that things work as intended. You can't use shitty argument like "guilds are learning way faster now" because you can't say that DnT or Nihilum didn't have skilled players.

It comes down to what someone said earlier - imagining LK fight with 10 Valkyrs and Defile being targetted on the people that are grabbed by them.

credits: Supernerd

Quote Originally Posted by Neelix View Post
    If the stars aligned twice over, in other words, you had all possible buffs and replenishment, zero tentacles spawned inside (it's possible), zero big tentacles spawned in unreachable areas (it's possible), beams did not gib half the raid (bug/byproduct of having no 'walled' tentacles - it's possible).
    Why are so many people acting as though Replenishment existed before WotLK?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    Why are so many people acting as though Replenishment existed before WotLK?
    because they didnt play before replenishment hit the servers

Haha I still hardly even think about replenishment being a buff and these people take it for given?

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    I find it very, very interesting how many of you are such experts on CTHUN fight prenerf... Would be really funny to find out how many of you actually are some "wotlk made raiders" who havent been in any raid at all even in TBC, let alone in vanilla.
    Welcome to the internet where everybody can lie i bet 80% of ppl in this thread never been in AQ back in vanilla.

just to clarify the whole nihilum c'thun exploit:

The rumour came up when a screenshot of kungen during/after the kill (not sure) surfaced. He had an icon in his bar that looked just the same as the disgusting oozling pet icon.
    If you actually summoned the Disgustin Oozling, he put a debuff on you that decreased all your resistance by like 10 or something. If you had a spam-macro for summoning the Oozling, the debuff was applied for every summon and if you were quick enough (before the debuff from the "old" oozling got dropped), you could delete all your other debuffs by reaching the debufflimit.
    Kungen allegedly used this to stay inside C'thuns stomach, not having to care about the stacking debuff down there.

none of this was ever proven, in fact a current member of Ensidia who was in Nihilum back then denied that they used this for the kill (there was a discussion about this somewhere on the ensidia forums/blogcomments).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalokagathos View Post
    If its true that Nihilum used an in-game pet which removes buffs, its still not exploiting.. It's clever use of game mechanics.. (Unless it was a bug).. The difference between the kill on LK is that there was a bug that they misused..
    There used to be a maximum number of debuffs you could have, 31, and he used the ooze 31 times and got 31 debuffs or something, and therefore could get no more debuffs.

---------- Post added 2010-08-04 at 06:32 PM ----------

Replenishment = Mana Spring Totem from a shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Wasn't yogg0 mathematically impossible aswell?
    Even tho it was mathematically impossible he still got killed.

Id say that the prenerf C'thun would be doable now simply because the top players now are on a completely different level compared to top players in vanilla. It would take some time and the bugs would eat up some tries but still i think it would be doable.
    no, the gear levels were just not there. i never raided AQ 40 in vanilla, but i do know people from a guild that did. you can only min / max so much before you hit a wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Anyone care to explain why a fight is being called "impossible"? That word isn't thrown around a lot on these forums, so I'm intrigued.
    it was a 40 man that had ICC status fights, and on top of that the boss at the end has attack that does 55-60k damage per second if you get hit by it. so when you are fighting a boss like that in Tier 2 when it can easily roll the face of a 80 geared in T10 you can imagine some issues might arise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played in vanilla, but I didn't hit 60 until a few months before BC went live, so I never had the chance to raid in the 60s. But from what I heard, one of the main things that made C'thun impossible was the fact that he could hit someone for over 5 million nature damage if people weren't completely decked out in nature resist gear from the Cenarion Circle. Other than that, I'm unsure what mechanics he had that made the fight literally impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsimeon
    Ahoy there, Captain Crybuckets, be that some QQ I see? Yarr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
    Yo Dawg I heard you like to QQ, so I put some QQ in your QQ so you can QQ while you QQ
    I enjoy creative ways to call people out on whining. If I see any, they're likely to end up here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalol2 View Post
    Welcome to the internet where everybody can lie i bet 80% of ppl in this thread never been in AQ back in vanilla.
    Your Avatar is Miley Cyrus. Which means you are twelve, which means you were 8 when AQ was out, so you never did it either...

Here's a video if anyone cares/or hasn't seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYkqw6BjPcw

---------- Post added 2010-08-04 at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by trolledornot View Post
    The rumour came up when a screenshot of kungen
    Screenshot was of nessaj:

http://ensidia.com/uploads_user/1000/5/358.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by trolledornot View Post
    none of this was ever proven
    That's because there's no fucking point, the hotfix was applied and nihilum killed him before everyone else did, c'thun was definitely killable by that stage, using an exploit on a killable boss would be pointless.
    Last edited by IKT; 2010-08-04 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Frosty View Post
    There used to be a maximum number of debuffs you could have, 31, and he used the ooze 31 times and got 31 debuffs or something, and therefore could get no more debuffs.
    It was actually a lower amount back then, I'm pretty sure the limit was 8 or 16 debuffs for a large part of classic. Not sure if they'd increased it already by the time AQ was released.

Replenishment = Mana Spring Totem from a shaman.
    Or Blessing of Wisdom, though of course we later had both of those and Vampiric Touch. Now we have BoW or Mana Spring and Replenishment. Either way, less mana regen in classic, though at least people could (and did) downrank their spells.

Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    Screenshot was of nessaj:
    Thanks for pointing that out, I just remembered the warriorstance icons, so I figured it had to be Kungen

And sure there's no point to it, but everytime C'thun or Ensidia+Exploits come up there's a lot of bullshit talk about the Oozling, so I wanted to clear things up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Neelix View Post
    Kill him. If all of the above conditions were met, that is ALL of the above, it was possible to kill C'thun pre hotfix. Every single bug you mentioned had a chance of occurring. If the stars aligned twice over, in other words, you had all possible buffs and replenishment, zero tentacles spawned inside (it's possible), zero big tentacles spawned in unreachable areas (it's possible), beams did not gib half the raid (bug/byproduct of having no 'walled' tentacles - it's possible).

Three very unlikely, but possible scenarios. It was possible to kill C'Thun pre hotfix.
    Possible but not probable. You had a bigger chance of being killed by an frozen exploding pineapple flying into your bedroom window because it was dropped out of a plane. So hey, only 1 guild would ever kill him after years and years of trying pre hotfix...

(exaggeration but still pretty close to never happening due to all the bugs needing to not happen, and all of them was very likely to happen)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Addamus View Post
    I played in vanilla, but I didn't hit 60 until a few months before BC went live, so I never had the chance to raid in the 60s. But from what I heard, one of the main things that made C'thun impossible was the fact that he could hit someone for over 5 million nature damage if people weren't completely decked out in nature resist gear from the Cenarion Circle. Other than that, I'm unsure what mechanics he had that made the fight literally impossible.

Nature res was used in AQ40 yes, but not on C'thun. The nature damage you are speaking of is the eye lazor beam that links from one player to another, and if enough people are in range of eachother the damage goes skyhigh on the last person in the link.

I remember alot of unneccessary wipes when a funny guy thought "I can pass the light fast enough without getting us in combat" or auto running pass the light while being in windows chatting on msn due to the looooooooooooooooong ressrun. (Before the comfortable teleport came)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    Bolded the part that I lost it at. Quoted the rest because it was a hilarious read.
    Thanks you for this, I think I wouldve cried if I had gotten to the end of the thread without anyone pointing out this giant lolfail.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

i remember spamming the water button for you got out of combat for 1 sec int eh phase shift on cthun and after that you /pray that no small eye tentacle or any of thos knocking small ones targeted you be4 the 30sec waterbuff was out

And i also remembered hearing about some us guild doing loatheb with likc 3spriest a lock and a tank when tbc 2.0 came out, (VE seems to ahve been a little overtuned when it first was introduced).

But be4 all that there were only spirit regen and mp5 from gear and Blessing of wisdom.
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2010-08-05 at 01:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    And i also remembered hearing about some us guild doing loatheb with likc 3spriest a lock and a tank when tbc 2.0 came out, (VE seems to ahve been a little overtuned when it first was introduced)
    Yeah, I think it was Death and Taxes who did that 5man. It was just after the 2.0 patch with brand new talents. Quite amazing 5man a 40man raid boss ^_^