Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why I should/shouldn't RDF to 85?

I hate questing with other people, if there is one other person killing the same type of mob I am I throw my cat out the window out of sheer rage.

So because I don't want to go to all out war with the RSPCA again like I did when Wrath launched I've decided to level by tanking the random dungeon finder. But looking at Totalbiscuit's marvelous videos I've become slightly reluctant to do this.

Now I ask you to provide me with reasons why I should or shouldn't quest to 85 so I and help me those in a similar predicament make up our minds.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

I play a hunter, I always get the first hit on targets.

/evil laugh

Deleted
    For: No fighting for mobs/quests, a few nice blues, potentially fast exp (Depending on your groupluck).

Against: New dungeons are gonna be hard, once you get your couple nice blues you're not going to get any other upgrades until the next dungeon, potentially horrible wipefest (Depending on group) and you'll probably get sick of running the same thing over and over again.

15+ Year Old Account
    1) skip leveling in the first 2 weeks and you won't have tons of competitors for mobs
    2) take chill pills
    3) grab 4 friends and level in the RDF

And yeah, Dingolicious is right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post

/evil laugh
    I don't know, Hand of Reckoning and Avengers Shield are pretty good at tagging multiple mobs too.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post

/evil laugh
    Moonfire, and shadowword pain look at your travel time bullets and go "sup, enjoy killing my tagged mob for me."

10+ Year Old Account
    you Should because well whats the point in the expantion if u want experience the majority of new content also the instances u r spamming will eventualy out gear you as the stat increaces on wrath > cata gear are so big
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

15+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't because that you'll get worn down on those dungeons, and that's going to make Heroic gear grinding in them a hell for you!
    In addition, those brand new quests and new technologies are there for a reason

I think you'd be better off with just getting all the quests for an instance, and then running it a few times, to get all the gear you need/want from it.

Levelling with quests is by far the quickest way and the new quests have a pretty good lore.

I levelled my mage from 80 to 82 in a couple hours by just questing and I entered the beta at a pretty early stage where all areas were pretty contested... not to mention the hunt for those fire elementals in Hyjal /shrug

I love levelling through the LFD system but it really works when you have rested XP. The new instances are mighty hard, I have never been past teh 2nd boss in the blackrock instance when I am not tanking and likewise for the throne one.

I'd say find a middle ground. Level a bit with quests and if the shit hits the fan, just do a couple of instances... that's what I do with new expansions.

Another idea as mentioned already is to wait a couple of weeks until the largest part of the population has passed through the starting zones but if you're in a raiding guild that wants to start raiding ASAP... then that's not really an option

I've leveled 4 tanks to 80 using the RDF.

Tanks and healers can't do quests as fast as DPS.

As a tank you will have instant ques, you will get less reward money but will save time not having to run from one location to another.

Time is money.

There will be plenty of gear upgrades as regular dungeons are designed to be done in greens.

If you're scared of getting bored then why are you playing wow.

You will get bored but you will have out leveled many other bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Moonfire, and shadowword pain look at your travel time bullets and go "sup, enjoy killing my tagged mob for me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I don't know, Hand of Reckoning and Avengers Shield are pretty good at tagging multiple mobs too.
    Except that hunters have:

* tons of different shots. never limited by a cooldown.
    * a pet. set to aggressive they go on and tag mobs on their own.
    * multishot for multi-tagging
    * 30% run speed increase

Some things I'm not so sure about:

* extra range for all shots (I don't see it in new talent trees)
    * Hunter's mark. 100yd range. Should tag the mob.

Hunters are imo best at stealing kills.

As for me when cata hits, I'm planning to do a 100% RDF grind on my tank. Gets me geared for raiding and my feet wet in cataclysm pve content.
    After a few weeks I will quest with my other characters, when there aren't 10 people after the same quest mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post

* 30% run speed increase

As for me when cata hits, I'm planning to do a 100% RDF grind on my tank. Gets me geared for raiding and my feet wet in cataclysm pve content.
    After a few weeks I will quest with my other characters, when there aren't 10 people after the same quest mob.
    Hunter's Mark doesn't even put the target in combat, so it's impossible to tag with it. I'm unaware if that's somehow magically changed in Cata, but I very much doubt it would. :P
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

10+ Year Old Account

* 30% run speed increase

Hunter's Mark doesn't tag; Moonfire and SW: Pain don't have cooldowns either; pets don't tag for you, only themselves (you have to hit the mob yourself to tag it); and focus is a pretty big limiter when you aren't standing still to cast Steady or Auto Shot. :I

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    Hunter's Mark doesn't tag; Moonfire and SW: Pain don't have cooldowns either; pets don't tag for you, only themselves (you have to hit the mob yourself to tag it); and focus is a pretty big limiter when you aren't standing still to cast Steady or Auto Shot. :I
    Thanks for clearing up the hunter's mark doubts. Pets don't tag for me but they will "lock" the mobs for future use. One bite and you can send the pet to another target. /petattack has no cooldown and it's off the GCD. If BM you can shoot the mob once and move on to another target, the pet will take care of the rest. When I was leveling in Wrath, I had the pet running around and collecting the next 2-3 targets when I was killing one. Needless to say the other players in the area weren't very happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, you hate questing with other people and yet you're playing an MMO? Are you one of those people who I'd come across, having waited at the spawn of a mob for about 10 minutes, only to have you tag it, then throw you a group invite and find you're not in a group, but you decline?

No seriously, hunters are easy to ninja off. Especially someone that doesn't pay attention to what they're hitting coz they're too busy hitting everything in sight. I'd just take my warlock in and hit CoA from afar. lol hunters. lol.

Oh, and speaking of a situation where's heavy competition in one area, don't forget hunters have tracking for almost any mob type.

Deleted
    Thanks for clearing up the hunter's mark doubts. Pets don't tag for me but they will "lock" the mobs for future use. One bite and you can send the pet to another target. /petattack has no cooldown and it's off the GCD. If BM you can shoot the mob once and move on to another target, the pet will take care of the rest. When I was leveling in Wrath, I had the pet running around and collecting the next 2-3 targets when I was killing one. Needless to say the other players in the area weren't very happy.
    You can't beat mana-based instants for pulling or a tanks aoe threat cooldowns and "lock" is pointless if people realise they are not tagged (which they can easily see just by looking for the greyed out name). All you've done is aggroed a whole bunch of mobs into one place and effectively acting as a tank for others except nothing is tagged - great if there are aoe'ers around!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evoker View Post
    Levelling with quests is by far the quickest way and the new quests have a pretty good lore.

I levelled my mage from 80 to 82 in a couple hours by just questing and I entered the beta at a pretty early stage where all areas were pretty contested... not to mention the hunt for those fire elementals in Hyjal /shrug

I love levelling through the LFD system but it really works when you have rested XP. The new instances are mighty hard, I have never been past teh 2nd boss in the blackrock instance when I am not tanking and likewise for the throne one.

I'd say find a middle ground. Level a bit with quests and if the shit hits the fan, just do a couple of instances... that's what I do with new expansions.

Another idea as mentioned already is to wait a couple of weeks until the largest part of the population has passed through the starting zones but if you're in a raiding guild that wants to start raiding ASAP... then that's not really an option
    Got to 82 8/10th myself in like 2 or 3 days too BUT I think they'll adjust the experience points needed to level before it goes live. I got to 81 in like 1.5 days and I levelled a goblin and a worgen in that time and went exploring as well, seems far too easy right now for me.

They'll have to adjust the mob numbers/respawning times as well. Right now there are areas where mobs respawn CRAZY fast, if you're actually questing there alone you WILL get overwhelmed by them. In other areas you need to kill like a dozen of a certain type of mob but there's only barely that number running around at any given time and you have to compete with other players.
    Both things can be very, very frustrating. And that's right now in beta, when this goes live there'll be like 5-10 times the number of people playing on those areas.
    Last edited by mmoca812163483; 2010-08-09 at 09:14 AM.