Should I re-format?

I'm currently running a 64 bit windows 7 OS.
    8 gigs ram, 2.2Ghz quadcore with a 750 gig hardrive, ATI radeon 4890 HD series 1 gig ram video card.

My FPS in raids is dropping to about 2 during intense parts of the fight and it is a huge impairment, i've tried many things to hire my fps including defrag, cleaning up my hardrive, checking for new drivers, using macros in game and lowering visual settings.

Not quite sure if I should re-format, I may have a virus that AVG isn't picking up or something, thanks for the help.

Deleted
    Could try it. My comp which is dead ATM had a stable 20 fps in raids with worse specs than yours. (quad @ 2.4, 4gb ddr2, sli 8800gt's.)

Not a clue what is nomming on your performance.

It's the quick and easy way to solve problems you cant be bothered to fix :P

Clearly with that sort of system you shouldn't be getting that kinda of fps drops. May be worth checking drivers are up to date but probably not the issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a quad core 2.5ghz, 8 gigs ram and a 2 gig radeon 4850 hd at max settings with very few fps drops. So it's probably your computer, yeah. Couldn't hurt to reformat.

10+ Year Old Account
    yee, you should have way better performance with that... format and get a decent anti-virus, i recommend NOD32

I would recommend downloading Microsoft Security Essentials and removing AVG. It is actually very good and rates up there with the top paid AV's.

It is free, as long as you have a legit Windows. Just google MSE.

Also, if you haven't tried this macro, try lowering your spell effect level via this macro /console SpellEffectLevel 25

Note: play with the number Crank it up and it looks pretty cool, but will bog down any system.

Also, what is the temperature of your video card while raiding? You can check using the Catalyst Control Center that comes with the ATi driver package.

One more thing, do you have Indexing enabled on your HDDs? (open My Computer, right click on any HDD, Properties... it's the tick box at the bottom...make sure it's unchecked)

Good luck!
    Last edited by mobius; 2010-08-06 at 01:43 AM.

I'd try reinstalling my Graphics Card first of all to be honest. No need to reformat the whole computer if it happens due to a broken driver. (OR NO UPDATED DRIVERS AT ALL)

Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    I would recommend downloading Microsoft Security Essentials and removing AVG. It is actually very good and rates up there with the top paid AV's.

It is free, as long as you have a legit Windows. Just google MSE.

Also, if you haven't tried this macro, try lowering your spell effect level via this macro /console SpellEffectLevel 25

Note: play with the number Crank it up and it looks pretty cool, but will bog down any system.

Also, what is the temperature of your video card while raiding? You can check using the Catalyst Control Center that comes with the ATi driver package.

One more thing, do you have Indexing enabled on your HDDs? (open My Computer, right click on any HDD, Properties... it's the tick box at the bottom...make sure it's unchecked)

Good luck!
    My graphics card idles at 60 degrees C, the fan automatically adjusts to keep it at this temperature, and i've downloaded the new drivers I don't think their corrupt, I'm probably going to re-format after tomorrow nights raid, is it possible to keep your addon folder so I don't have to re-fucking configure everything?

Oh btw indexing was checked.. Could that be a major performance issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    My graphics card idles at 60 degrees C, the fan automatically adjusts to keep it at this temperature, and i've downloaded the new drivers I don't think their corrupt, I'm probably going to re-format after tomorrow nights raid, is it possible to keep your addon folder so I don't have to re-fucking configure everything?

Yes, it is. Just save your WTF and addon folders, however there's a good chance that some addon having a bunch of old data or something is a contributing factor to your issues. So it'd be better to start from scratch all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Yes, it is. Just save your WTF and addon folders, however there's a good chance that some addon having a bunch of old data or something is a contributing factor to your issues. So it'd be better to start from scratch all together.
    I've cleared my cache of all my addons and settings for character I don't play anymore, FPS didn't change whatsoever.

I've cleared my cache of all my addons and settings for character I don't play anymore, FPS didn't change whatsoever.
    Well, save 'em, go for the format. See if it helps. You can always try it with and without the saved addons anyway. Hope it works out for you. Do you only have the FPS issues in raid? Have you looked at what's eating memory/CPU on your computer? I think there are also addons that will tell you what's eating your memory in game too.

Yes, basically Windows will randomly search your HDD for every file in order to make searching a few seconds faster... utterly useless compared to the performance hit your system takes.

When you untick it, check the option that says "apply to all subfolders etc..." It may take a minute or two, but it's well worth it.

I know you can't tell the raid performance yet, but try playing with the macro "/console SpellEffectLevel 25" before reformatting (altering the numbers of course).

Did you try removing AVG and getting Microsoft Security Essentials? AV also uses resources and may cause some of the slowness you experience.

And as Oni mentioned, try playing with the shadow settings.
    Last edited by mobius; 2010-08-06 at 03:11 AM.

take it into the shop to fix it... my fps used to drop to like 5 in raids, then I took my computer into the shop and now its like constant 50 fps in raids

15+ Year Old Account
    The solutions here given here which involve software/driver/settings are definately good.

- background indexing of the hard drive can and will cause major lags and performance issues if it kicks in at the wrong time.

- graphics drivers should always come directly from the manufacturer (AMD/Ati or NVidia). Do not use so-called omega drivers or similar. The 1-2% performance boost they might bring, are not worth the risk to damage your card. (Yes, bad drivers can actually fry your GPU, because - among other things - fan control, voltage and chip clock are done via graphics drivers). You do not neccessarily need the newest one, but if you experience problems, you should update.

- Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the fastest anti virus software... at least the "passive" background guard. (Which is all you should need or be concerned of). And the detection rate is quite good.

- If you have Recount or a similar addon, try to disable it. It can cause a lot of lag and even performance issues during big fights (25 men raids, AV battle, WG battle) on a not so good internet connection (less than 128kbps either up or down). Same goes for GearScore and similar addons (but they should have a built-in safety to not cause traffic while in combat).

- WoW can be copied as a whole, without need to re-install it later on. Just copy your whole "World of Warcraft" folder on a secondary or external hard drive. WoW does not need a proper installation process.

Now concerning hardware:

- 60°C is good for a GPU. They can take up to 90°C without problems.

- WoW is CPU heavy game. If you have a quad core CPU, you could run as low as a GeForce 9800GT or even lower with having to turn down graphic settings. But Shadows and Anti-Aliasing are major performance eaters, so these might be part of the problem.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet