Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58

    ISO your knowledge

    Hi guys, im not a very smart guy when in comes to computers ( haha just in general actually )
    Iv got myself in abit of a dilema..
    I used to play BC, but then quit! Now the WoW spark has reignited..
    The computer i used to play it on had the following specs, as far as im aware anyways..
    1.3ghz processor
    1gb Ram
    256mb nvidia graphics card ( i think )
    tell me if you need something else..

    Anyways my mate tryed to play WoW the other day, and as soon as the loader came up where you input your account.. it just freezes.. like it really strugles to play the dragon flying in , and then just crashes the whole computer.. iv ran virus scans, and cleaned the c drive.. but stil not luck.. i would go get it re formatted but is it really worth it?

    I was thinking about getting a new computer ( would have to be 2nd hand as im a student )
    What would the average specs of a computer be that can easily play WoW without any problems, like processor speed and ram , etc etc?.. it would only be used for wow and general internet surfing..

    I Apologize for the essay
    Will be greatly appreciative of any help!
    Thanks Damo.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    I used to play BC, but then quit! Now the WoW spark has reignited..
    The computer i used to play it on had the following specs, as far as im aware anyways..
    1.3ghz processor
    1gb Ram
    256mb nvidia graphics card ( i think )
    tell me if you need something else..

    I was thinking about getting a new computer ( would have to be 2nd hand as im a student )
    What would the average specs of a computer be that can easily play WoW without any problems, like processor speed and ram , etc etc?.. it would only be used for wow and general internet surfing..
    WoW's hardware requirements went up significantly during and after TBC. Your current computer is good for mostly playing minesweeper and solitaire, or other games released before 2005.

    If you're scavenging, your best bet to get usable WoW PC is is Core 2 Duo (something that runs at about 3GHz) or AMD X2 5-6000+ and 512mb graphics card, preferably Nvidia 9600/9800/2xx or Radeon 48xx and 4GB of RAM. That kind of setup will still suck with medium/high graphics, but turning settings down you can raid 25-mans.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  3. #3
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    WoW's hardware requirements went up significantly during and after TBC. Your current computer is good for mostly playing minesweeper and solitaire, or other games released before 2005.

    If you're scavenging, your best bet to get usable WoW PC is is Core 2 Duo (something that runs at about 3GHz) or AMD X2 5-6000+ and 512mb graphics card, preferably Nvidia 9600/9800/2xx or Radeon 48xx and 4GB of RAM. That kind of setup will still suck with medium/high graphics, but turning settings down you can raid 25-mans.
    Hahaha minesweeper might even lag..
    I see, would it be cheaper for me to buy the components individually? and then get a mate to put an OS on?
    Would 2gb ram suffice or must it be 4gb?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    I see, would it be cheaper for me to buy the components individually? and then get a mate to put an OS on?
    Would 2gb ram suffice or must it be 4gb?
    If you're buying second-hand stuff, you can usually get whole computer cheaper than parts, or at least with less hassle. At least you can test it easier if the computer works at all, compared to bying pieces. 2GB of RAM is usable with Windows XP but not for Vista/Win7.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  5. #5
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    If you're buying second-hand stuff, you can usually get whole computer cheaper than parts, or at least with less hassle. At least you can test it easier if the computer works at all, compared to bying pieces. 2GB of RAM is usable with Windows XP but not for Vista/Win7.
    Sweet im not sure if i like windows 7 or vista, so i think il try get a xp system..
    Thanks for your help mate, really appreciate it!

  6. #6
    How much cash can you come up with?

    You just might be able to scavenge the drives and case from your old computer and get something that runs wow pretty well.

    And win 7 > anything Microsoft has released in the past.

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  7. #7
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    prob about $500-600 dollers, yea im not really bothered about hdd, il try get them from my old computer.. i know i need a new cd/dvd writer cause myns stuffed.
    by the way i live in New Zealand , so 500-600 nz dollers lol
    win 7 takes alot to run it though doesnt it? and iv got laptops that i can search the net and do that crap on, i really just want this for WoW and ventrillo, and this website of course..

  8. #8
    You could easily build a decent preforming AMD system for that price.

    What kind of case is your current computer in?

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  9. #9
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    You could easily build a decent preforming AMD system for that price.

    What kind of case is your current computer in?
    Im not sure i got it about 3-4 years ago from the computer market in england haha..
    its just a cheap thing, i have took the side of it so that it can get some air to the fan and things..

    Im interested in how you think i can build one for that type of money do you mean me personally buying the components and putting them on? or ?

    I have just taken some photos of the case, and inside the case.. if you need to see them , let me know
    Last edited by Damo; 2010-08-08 at 04:28 AM.

  10. #10
    The Patient Rottenbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cataclysm
    Posts
    256
    Generally, the specs to go for cataclysm IMO would be

    CPU: quad-core or better 2.8ghrz or better
    RAM: get 6 gigs or more
    Video CARD: best price / power combo is the nvidia 460, basicaly run cataclysm flawlessly when it comes out
    hard drive: go with SATA, but if u have the $$ go with SSD, but this really just boils down to loadscreen time.

    anything else?

    1,000,000,000 Gighrz Quad Core Duo, over 9000 gigs of ram, on board gfx card

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottenbeaver View Post
    Generally, the specs to go for cataclysm IMO would be

    CPU: quad-core or better 2.8ghrz or better
    RAM: get 6 gigs or more

    anything else?
    CPU: 3-core 2.8GHz or better PhenomII, i5 or i7. Athlon(I)/II, Phenom(I) or Core/Core2 would be tragic mistake.
    RAM: 4GB. 6-8GB only if you're 100% sure you need it, otherwise it's waste of money.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  12. #12
    If your computer is from an after market builder it should be a standard atx type case that would work fine for what your looking to get.

    Post up the photos if you want our opinion of it. Most likely it will work out though. And unless you are specifically having heat issues you should most likely leave the side panel on.

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  13. #13
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    If your computer is from an after market builder it should be a standard atx type case that would work fine for what your looking to get.

    Post up the photos if you want our opinion of it. Most likely it will work out though. And unless you are specifically having heat issues you should most likely leave the side panel on.
    I think i had heat issues in the past.. im not sure how to post the pictures, its telling me to type an email address in ? my pictures are just on my desktop. i went and spoke to a computer shop and they recon that i might not be able to salvage somethings.. they recon if im going to upgrade i will have to upgrade pretty much everything..

    Sorry for all the hassel im causing you guys..

  14. #14
    High Overlord shaddrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    162
    I'm not even done reading the posts but good Lord i can't stop laughing at vesseblah's comment.
    WoW's hardware requirements went up significantly during and after TBC. Your current computer is good for mostly playing minesweeper and solitaire, or other games released before 2005.
    It's like hey dude, your computer is good for minesweeper and solitaire, epic!

    ---------- Post added 2010-08-09 at 12:10 AM ----------

    Ok to be serious now, yeah i'd have to say some pictures if possible would be an awesome way of seeing what we have to work with here. Don't worry about the hassel Damo, if we didn't care then no one would respond. Well what parts are you able to salvage after all? Can you at least keep the case to start your new build?

  15. #15
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    [/COLOR]Ok to be serious now, yeah i'd have to say some pictures if possible would be an awesome way of seeing what we have to work with here. Don't worry about the hassel Damo, if we didn't care then no one would respond. Well what parts are you able to salvage after all? Can you at least keep the case to start your new build?[/QUOTE]

    I appreciate the re assurance !!!
    Iv read the FAQ and it says to upload an album, go to my profile and click a link to do with photos etc, iv looked everywhere but cant find it.. any ideas?

  16. #16
    photobucket

    Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottenbeaver View Post
    Generally, the specs to go for cataclysm IMO would be

    CPU: quad-core or better 2.8ghrz or better
    RAM: get 6 gigs or more
    What? 4GB is more than enough.

  18. #18
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    photobucket
    I see right here goes nothing, tell me if its works haha..





  19. #19
    Dreadlord B@nj0 P3do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West coast of Norway
    Posts
    871
    I'm sorry, but those pictures make my eyes bleed.

    you need a completely new computer and there is a slim chance of using that hdd that you already got. depends on the motherboard you buy, but I do think that it will be slow because its this old.

  20. #20
    Moderator Cilraaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    9,040
    I had those same IDE cables back in the day. They were really nice to work with compared to the flat ribbon cables.

    That motherboard is an old Socket A motherboard (it won an award in 2004). It won't work with anything available now. Your best bet with the old system would be to use it as a web browsing computer, give it to any young children you know, or donate it to a school. I think you need to go from the ground up on your new build. The motherboard, CPU, and RAM in your current system are unusable. The video card will definitely need upgraded. Your drives are IDE (anything current will be SATA). There's really nothing to salvage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •