Poll: What class to PvP with?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    GOGO Enhancement shaman

You will cry to get back to a 3-button ez-mode class.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Doing damage as an envenom rogue is easy as shit, about the same as elemental shaman. But the huge difference is the effect. If a rogue wants to do more than just hold somethnig still for mage/priest or lock/sham then you need to gear for a LOT of pve. If you do so, you lose a lot of resilience and are extremely fragile (actually, rogues are fucking fragile with 1300 resilience, but nvm)
    The main difference is that defensive play (both cooldown usage and positioning) is HUGE as a rogue and an absolute must have, whereas I've seen 2600+ rated elemental shamans that just plant their totems in the middle of nagrand arena and turret damage into, well, everything
    Player: Vanish___________Server: No!
    Player: Preparation_______Server: Okay...
    Player: Vanish___________Server: I SAID NO DAMMIT!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by K4ge View Post
    If you do so, you lose a lot of resilience and are extremely fragile (actually, rogues are fucking fragile with 1300 resilience, but nvm)
    Try a Kitty Druid these days, and we NEED to use PvE gear in order to put up any pressure at all. (Rogues still have MS if they can't put up any pressure through damage, for whatever reason). Rogues have all the tools to survive, untill you've blown all your CD's. There are quite a few classes/speccs who are as "squishy" as Rogues are, but with worse or none survivability CD's to blow at all.

In short, Rogue survivability isn't awesome, but it's far from bad. Get over it.

warrior, (frost)mage, druid, paladin, all very faceroll-buttonmash-OP.. (ele)shaman, (shadow is stronger then affli)priest, rogue, DK, requiers something in the middle, (fire)mage, (destro)lock, requiers the most.. havent been playin hunter in pvp really so cant say that much.. atleast thats what I think, got most of em char's at 80 so.. no "QQ my class sucks QQQ" =)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Widget View Post
    shadow is stronger then affli
    Actually, Shadow is insanely OP and Affliction is beyond godlike at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian View Post
    Try a Kitty Druid these days, and we NEED to use PvE gear in order to put up any pressure at all. (Rogues still have MS if they can't put up any pressure through damage, for whatever reason). Rogues have all the tools to survive, untill you've blown all your CD's. There are quite a few classes/speccs who are as "squishy" as Rogues are, but with worse or none survivability CD's to blow at all.

In short, Rogue survivability isn't awesome, but it's far from bad. Get over it.
    Did you watch the european invitationals? The moment cloak is used (and trust me, a good spellcleave can force cloak in a blanket silence on the healer) a rogue has to play defensively until it's back up.
    Trust me, a rogue doesn't put out any solo pressure against a good pally/druid healer. Yes, we have ms, but feral damage is noticeably higher. Probably not enough to offset ms gives us, but still.
    Of all the common (!) arena specs, rogues are not only bad, but also extremely squishy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you watch the european invitationals? The moment cloak is used (and trust me, a good spellcleave can force cloak in a blanket silence on the healer) a rogue has to play defensively until it's back up.
    Trust me, a rogue doesn't put out any solo pressure against a good pally/druid healer. Yes, we have ms, but feral damage is noticeably higher. Probably not enough to offset ms gives us, but still.
    Of all the common (!) arena specs, rogues are not only bad, but also extremely squishy.
    A spellcleave team can force basically everything and everyone to play defensively atm, you're not special.
    Also, Feral damage might be higher but with all the tools you've got (and which Ferals miss at the moment, atleast we finally get a viable interrupt at Cataclysm) PLUS the MS effect you've got you have to be one hell of a fuck-up to put up less pressure with a Rogue then with a Feral Druid, most of the times.

Also, lol at your last statement. Rogues are definitely bad, yes.
    Last edited by Balduvian; 2010-08-07 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FERAL DROOD is win in pvp if your good

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon794 View Post
    FERAL DROOD is win in pvp if your good
    Never said it wasn't, though a survivability buff aswell as a reliable interrupt is needed atm.
    Also, I'm pretty sure there aren't any Ferals past 2.7k at the moment, and there is quite a low ammount of them even past 2.2k.

But yea, a wellplayed Feral Druid is awesome, though not viable for high ratings unless you got mad skills.

Rogues have never been weak in PvP, since Vanilla, in every arena season...they're always a safe choice. They're not always the number one OP class, but they're never underpowered either. They have the added bonus of being the overall best 1v1 class in the game and usually a top PvE DPS.

Rogue/Mage, Rogue/Priest, RMP, RLS, are all amazing comps right now, and the first 3 have been amazing for the past 7 seasons as well. They're neither ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard to play. They have a lot of abilities and cooldowns, and a potentially high skill cap, but also can go pretty far with just their basic stuns and mutilate. If you truly have no preference except you want a PvP class, I'd go with Rogue.

If you want a caster, go Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian View Post
    A spellcleave team can force basically everything and everyone to play defensively atm, you're not special.
    Also, Feral damage might be higher but with all the tools you've got (and which Ferals miss at the moment, atleast we finally get a viable interrupt at Cataclysm) PLUS the MS effect you've got you have to be one hell of a fuck-up to put up less pressure with a Rogue then with a Feral Druid, most of the times.

Also, lol at your last statement. Rogues are definitely bad, yes.
    Yes, rogues DO put out more solo pressure, that's what I wrote my (Actually on my disc I find rogues an easier duel than ferals, but that's purely because of the selfheal in an instant clone)

Rogue representation (Sk100)
    Overall: 6% (10% avg)
    2v2: 18% (20% avg)
    3v3: 19% (30% avg)
    5v5: 26% (50% avg)
    Pretty much all of LK looked like this.

Also: in s5 rogues were terrible
    And we are a terrible dueling class right now. Seriously. Every healer and almost every caster can easily destroy a rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    You're better off picking a class you like than asking here.
    All you'll get here is "my class is the hardest, my counter is faceroll"

Really, most people who look at PvP and think "Ooo I should start doing that and getting those cool weapons" are generally satisfied with getting to 1800 which you can do with any class in any spec. The only people who need to be in a FoTM comp are the people who are aiming high and want an easy ride.

protip: play with friends and you won't care if your record looks like crap; you'll be having fun.

Not true, even when I was still in blue gear when I started arenaing with an rl friend I was super pissed when we lost. Maybe it's because I have a ridiculously overinflated opinion of myself and an ego which warrants its own mattress, but I play to win. Always

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually on my disc I find rogues an easier duel than ferals, but that's purely because of the selfheal in an instant clone
    Duhuh, that's 1v1. Feral is godmode in 1v1, and DiscPriests are a piece of cake in 1v1 aswell. In fact, a Feral Druid should never lose against a DiscPriest in 1v1, if he does, he's either badgeared or just bad. Good thing all of our gear comes from dueling and 1v1..ohh wait.

Rogue representation (Sk100)
    Overall: 6% (10% avg)
    2v2: 18% (20% avg)
    3v3: 19% (30% avg)
    5v5: 26% (50% avg)
    Pretty much all of LK looked like this.
    Average representation: 10%.

Hmm, 10 classes x10% = 100%. Wait, wait.. does that mean...OH SHIT, Rogues are actually doing fine every single season.

Also, the other representation numbers you gave us are saying that Rogues are pretty well represented.

This guy right here, gave the perfect conclusion about Rogues:

Quote Originally Posted by wake-up View Post
    Rogues have never been weak in PvP, since Vanilla, in every arena season...they're always a safe choice. They're not always the number one OP class, but they're never underpowered either. They have the added bonus of being the overall best 1v1 class in the game and usually a top PvE DPS.

Rogue/Mage, Rogue/Priest, RMP, RLS, are all amazing comps right now, and the first 3 have been amazing for the past 7 seasons as well. They're neither ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard to play. They have a lot of abilities and cooldowns, and a potentially high skill cap, but also can go pretty far with just their basic stuns and mutilate. If you truly have no preference except you want a PvP class, I'd go with Rogue.

If you want a caster, go Mage.

Why do you choose to pick on things that I have already conceded on?
    And no he is not right. Ok, rogues are OK in arena. They're playable. But they're not fine and sure as hell not GOOD. Good implies above average which is quite far from the truth.
    Most of what he says is in fact correct, rogues have only ever been abysmal in one season (which was season 5), but I don't actually count s5. It was so fucked up, I don't have the words to discribe it.
    The point that disturbes me the most is that he describes rogues as not only a good, but possibly the best 1v1 class. This is utter bullshit, nothing could be further from the truth. Rogues are a fucking terrible dueling class right now.

In conclusion: rogue atm is ok in arena, but horribly frustrating to play.

It really depends on your playstyle, but you should keep updated with the classes you're most interested in to see what's happening to them in Cataclysm if you're picking it for then.
    Paladin:
    Ret: I've seen a Blue post about how Ret Paladins were becoming a little too complex on the current Beta, so if you decided not to pick them because of the "Faceroll" stereotype, then that's not a bad option. (I've been looking into them for Cataclysm myself)
    Holy: It's still looking pretty bland and unchanged in the current build since Blizz has only been focusing on Ret and Prot so far it seems. (Look at the blue posts on the front page everyday..)
    Prot: Don't count on much.
    Death Knight: Not much has changed as far as I've noticed from the talent calculators
    Druid:
    Feral: Feral is getting a nice interrupt and a bit more control; definitely looking a lot nicer in Cataclysm.
    Boomkin: Wild mushroom and a desecration type effect; certainly nice. You mentioned not wanting OP spells like starfall/bladestorm; AoEs are being nerfed a TON, this will enclude starfall, so it will go back to being a little dps increase and CC destroyer. Solar Beam for stopping healers (Combine this with rooting them under the beam; silenced and being unable to dispel, nom nom. Also a nice knockdown spell with chaos bolt like damage.
    Restoration : With the tree of life form change, being able to time it well could make a big difference; haven't seen too many other changes with them.
    Hunter: If you're able to memorize a lot of keybinds/spells, hunters can be pretty fun (Not too great atm though)
    Beast Mastery: It's looking a little nicer, having a strong cobra strike which ignores armor will definitely be very helpful.
    Marksman: Not too many changes
    Survival: Seems to be going back to the "Lots of CC" route.
    Mage: Always a fun class to play in PvE and PvP. All 3 specs seem to be getting some nice tools for PvP and I'm expecting to see more than just frost mages getting to higher rating.
    Arcane: Not too many changes atm, some talents that let slow reactivate should be nice for keeping snares up. Free knockback every minute as well with Mage Armor on melee classes, could be nice for when rogues open on you with garrote.
    Fire: I've always loved fire the most, even for PvP. Definitely getting some PvP buffs. Mobile scorch casting is amazing for trying to get some Hot Streak procs. With fireball's casting speed being reduced a ton, I'm not sure how scorch will be in PvP in Cata. Seems that they're trying to make fire the more mobile spec, so if you like being able to control the battle, fire looks amazing. Still pretty RNG-based
    Frost: Frost, sad to say, seems to be losing a lot of it's old uniqueness, ice lance seems to be getting buffed so it seems that it'll be becoming more mobile as well.
    Priest:
    Discipline: Just lost improved mana burn. :[ It'll be neat to see how evangelism works; speccing partially into holy will be nice for damage.
    Holy: Still lacks some of the much needed utility that Discipline has.
    Shadow: You said you wanted a spec that's hard right? /pass
    Rogue: Not too hard to start off learning with, but it takes a lot of time to completely master it.
    Assassination: Seems to be becoming a bit bursty in Cataclysm, with Vendetta.
    Combat: Seems to be taking the "Not so squishy anymore" route. If you didn't like rogues because of their squishiness, this may be a good option.
    Sublety: Not much has changed, at all, so far.
    Shaman: If you don't like totem-management, don't role a Shaman, simple.
    Elemental: I played Elemental as my PvP character back in 3.1 before it got all of it's amazing buffs; it was easily the most difficult spec to play at that time. But yes, as many have said, it's rather dull and unexciting now, especially in arenas. The common misconception is that Ele's just stand there and cast Lava Burst, but pretty much the reason why it seems like that is that they rarely have the opportunity to cast, so by the time they do, after kiting for a while, lava burst is off cooldown again. Again, I don't play my shammy anymore so try to avoid reading this comment as biased.
    Enhancement: I never really got into Enhancement in Wotlk, but in Cataclysm it seems like they're atleast trying to reduce the enormous amount of RNG on this spec. It's always been an annoyance for mages and I'm assuming it'll continue to be so.
    Restoration: Not too much has changed so far.. but getting a defensive magic dispel is an amazing buff for Resto.
    Warlock: Not the most mobile of casters, but certainly very devastating if left alone. I don't have too much PvP experience with them though.
    Affliction: Being able to use Soul Burn on Seed of Corruption to put corruption on all targets within the detonation range? Very nice. Being able to switch all of your DoTs from 1 target to another is going to be great for switching pressure very fast.
    Demonology: Never really the PvP spec, and it doesn't seem to be any different in Cataclysm in that matter.
    Destruction: I'm not in Beta so I can't really test this out for you, looking at the spec isn't helpful at all because all of it's spells seem to be getting buffs and it's hard to predict the outcome of what it will be like in the end.
    Warriors:
    Arms: Finally, arms has a stun, a 5 second stun too. It seems to be getting a few more passive defense talents since atm it isn't the greatest for 1v1s without a healer.
    Fury: Getting some nice AoE damage buffs with the talent Meat Cleaver, could be fun in rated BGs.
    Prot: I've tried it before, it's a bit easier to learn than Arms and you don't need to use as many macros.
    Blah, that took a while to write. Sorry about the wall of text, but I tried to organize it as much as I could.
    I'm a bit of an alt-o-holic so I'd like to pretend that I've mastered each class to some degree, but alas, my inability to pick a main has left me with a bunch of half-geared characters. I'm thinking about going Ret pally in Cata since it's becoming more difficult and my pally is one of my few characters who already has epic flying and some reps grinded. Also combat rogues and fire mages are looking attractive to me. (I like to choose the oddball specs. :P )
    To answer the topic, I can't really suggest a class to you without knowing your play style (Melee/ranged, offensive/defensive). Good luck in picking your class/spec. Hope I was of some help. :]

---------- Post added 2010-08-07 at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderoni View Post
    You're better off picking a class you like than asking here.
    All you'll get here is "my class is the hardest, my counter is faceroll"

Really, most people who look at PvP and think "Ooo I should start doing that and getting those cool weapons" are generally satisfied with getting to 1800 which you can do with any class in any spec. The only people who need to be in a FoTM comp are the people who are aiming high and want an easy ride.

protip: play with friends and you won't care if your record looks like crap; you'll be having fun.
    I totally agree with your response. FoTM specs aren't necessary to have fun. Playing with people you know can be a lot more fun, but if your friends don't have classes that really match up with your class, it can be a little more difficult.
    Try not to mind the posts of people trying to push their classes off as the most difficult, as this is always changing, even if there truly is one that is the most difficult.
    As Kayne West would say: "Now Elemental Shaman, I'm gonna let you finish... but Rogue was the most difficult spec of all time!"

assassination with vendetta is fucking god. the damage is extremely good. is one dimensional is all hell, but with combat readiness, recuperate, redirect and vendetta you have good lasting power and insane damage with great switching power. But will probably only work with a healer/dispeller
    combat sucks balls
    sub... not played much, but seems to be ok'ish at best.

I would consider a hunter, not just becouse i play one myself, but becouse it can be REALY hard to master one in arena and semi hard in bgs, you can also go all pve spec/gear and just burn down everything you see within a few gcds (killing a holy pala b4 he can divine) is also realy fun.
    And b4 you say serp sting chim aimed killshot = win, you also need all pet skills, and all traps, aspects marks stings cds .. theres realy alot tools you need to have in oder to do it probberly

You can also check out kripparrian on youtube, watch how he play and lern it. (did help me alot)

Quote Originally Posted by DemonTaoist View Post
    Yeah they have to bind flame shock, lava burst and lightning bolts ALL OVER their keyboard in order for their face to effectively activate them.

Oh yeah, they have all these totems too. Sooo many choi

FLAMESHOCKLAVABURSTLIGHTNINGZZZZZZZZHARDCLASS2PLAY
    Yeah, we have it easy, not having any defensive cooldowns to bind gives us a really simple key setup and rotation.

Unlike a rogue that is so complex that the class is designed so you can go google how to play while you have your target stunlocked & blinded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrik View Post
    Yeah, we have it easy, not having any defensive cooldowns to bind gives us a really simple key setup and rotation.

Unlike a rogue that is so complex that the class is designed so you can go google how to play while you have your target stunlocked & blinded.
    Epic quote is epic