Thread: Mage Utility

Deleted

Mage Utility

I have recently been considering rerolling to a class, be cause I am getting kind of tired of playing PvE as a warrior.
    How ever, I would like to experience the PvP part of the game, so I thought; "What should I roll"?
    Then, it hit me. I got this really great idea, but I need to confirm if this actually works.
    If I would reroll a mage, would I be able to do the following?
    Sheep for 10 secs.
    Sheep for 5 secs.
    Sheep for 2½ secs.
    Frostnova for 8 secs.
    Cone of coldslow for 8 secs, with a 80% movement speed reduction.

And now here comes the tricky part..

Sheep only has a 16 sec diminishing return, right?
    So.. Now I could practicly do this:
    Sheep for 10 secs.
    Sheep for 5 secs.
    Sheep for 2½ secs.
    Frostnova for 8 secs.

And again

Sheep for 10 secs.
    Sheep for 5 secs.
    Sheep for 2½ secs.
    Frostnova for 8 secs.

Am I right about this?

Regards.

theoretically yes, but the chances of this going off without a hitch are slim to none

Mages have a lot of CC at their disposal and are especially strong against melee without a dispel by their side. Sheep until it's fully DR is quite the tactic in arenas. It keeps players out of the game for a while. Follow a sheeped healer with an improved CS and the counterspell blanket silence alone will sometimes get a kill on the DPS assuming no trinket/immunity.

Mages are very strong in PVP at the moment, so if you want to do well, try mage. It isn't a ticket to gladiator or being good, but it's still one of the stronger classes this season.

In theory, yes, you can already do this. In practice, it is a lot harder than it sounds (the second part is, anyway). You have to take into account the class you are fighting, presence of a trinket to remove the Polymorph, having an allied healer (which all four will be able to dispel Polymorph, in addition to one of them being practically immune to it), interrupts, gap-closers, spell immunities, etc.

There was a time where you could kill a Warrior with Rank 1 Frostbolt and some patience. Now, that Warrior is healing himself through the damage and is jumping on your face for 4000 damage every 15 seconds.

AS a veteran gnome mage this is possible but pointless. You'd just end up healing the person and wasting your mana. Instead try a build that freezes and does hardcore crits on your opponent. Throw a sheep in there if ya want LOL

Deleted
    I was trolling guys...
    Kinda just wanted to point out that mage cc is retarded

No, actually, it's not retarded. But then again I'm a holy paladin.

don't troll with gnomes man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jitney-SS View Post
    I was trolling guys...
    Kinda just wanted to point out that mage cc is retarded
    uh...it might be retarded if it didn't heal them for ~10% max hp per second, or you know, have no dispel protection.....

edit: also, i play every caster except shaman at 80 - among other classes - and i feel that mage is the weakest of them all as far as damage goes.

i can blow shit up on my destro lock NP.
    spriests scale with haste like crazy.
    balance druids have starfall, crazy on-demand burst

and mages get to what? shatter combo with a pet cooldown or a deepfreeze which doesn't even total the same as a chaos bolt + conflag, and has a lot more setup than just applying immolate.

but in return, they make up for it in slows/utility

but seriously, sheep not having dispel protection just pisses me off. you've obviously never played a mage against a healer who can dispel in arena, because it's infuriating just watching everything you do be undone by a healer riding his dispel key like it's going out of style. (thank god it IS) -

destro lock has a similar problem, especially against priests because you can't do anything to stop him dispelling two debuffs at once, so covering your immolate or fear with corr doesn't do shit but waste a GCD.

edit 2: if mages are so OP, what are you doing not playing one?

maybe you're just bad.
    Last edited by fizikz; 2010-08-09 at 06:04 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Deleted
    Well.. Who cares if they reg while being CC'd.
    The point of cc'ing someone is to smash up the other guy.
    If Im not mistaken 50% of the top40 teams on cyclone, in 2v2 are mage/priest.
    And if Im not mistaken, RMP has been slightly well-represented in every season since arena started.

Correct me if Im wrong, but mages are not bad at the moment.

---------- Post added 2010-08-09 at 07:01 AM ----------

No, I just do not enjoy playing that class anymore. Played it all the way through s2-3-4.
    And as well; Who cares if they reg while being CC'd.
    The point of cc'ing someone is to smash up the other guy.
    If Im not mistaken 50% of the top40 teams on cyclone, in 2v2 are mage/priest.
    And if Im not mistaken, RMP has been slightly well-represented in every season since arena started.

Correct me if Im wrong, but mages are not bad at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you could do that if you were trying to CC a bot.

Otherwise, no.
    "Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. The more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."
    -Thomas Hildern

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    but seriously, sheep not having dispel protection just pisses me off. you've obviously never played a mage against a healer who can dispel in arena, because it's infuriating just watching everything you do be undone by a healer riding his dispel key like it's going out of style. (thank god it IS) -
    Sheep healer instead ?

PMR isn't the comp it used to be, altho mages are still a op'd class for the most part. but i'd swear its mostly based on the gear bloat and haste figures these days. when Frostbolt becomes scorch cast times by default, things get silly, especially with all of the procs mages have these days off of FB. haste is too good, and some mages hitting over 1k without sacrificing much is dumb.

the thing that doesn't make sense to me about sheep complaints is it probably has one of the biggest drawbacks of most CC's, in that it heals. so you're punished for sheeping the wrong targets, or rather its limited who you can/should sheep. where as a CC like fear has no drawback like that with more or less the same CC durations, and doesn't have a cooldown for a lock either(where as a lot of other cc's have CD's). i mean when you do a comparison, sheep seems to have more drawbacks in theory than many of the other CC's.

Durr hurr i said something stupid

jokes on you i was only pretending lol trolled

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    PMR isn't the comp it used to be, altho mages are still a op'd class for the most part. but i'd swear its mostly based on the gear bloat and haste figures these days. when Frostbolt becomes scorch cast times by default, things get silly, especially with all of the procs mages have these days off of FB. haste is too good, and some mages hitting over 1k without sacrificing much is dumb.

the thing that doesn't make sense to me about sheep complaints is it probably has one of the biggest drawbacks of most CC's, in that it heals. so you're punished for sheeping the wrong targets, or rather its limited who you can/should sheep. where as a CC like fear has no drawback like that with more or less the same CC durations, and doesn't have a cooldown for a lock either(where as a lot of other cc's have CD's). i mean when you do a comparison, sheep seems to have more drawbacks in theory than many of the other CC's.
    RMP is going to be ridiculous in Cata if things stay the way they are in the EARLY BETA. Smokebomb and Wall of Fog both cause LoS issues. Bloodlust being added to the mage arsenal. Combo point transfer for Rogues will now allow a hardswitch for the entire comp. However, to assume this will be the top comp would be a little ridiculous(at least this early in the Beta.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsee The Magical Prot View Post

Mages are very strong in PVP at the moment, so if you want to do well, try mage. It isn't a ticket to gladiator or being good, but it's still one of the stronger classes this season.
    In 3vs3 They are currently the second worst class - only surpassed in the bottom by DK`s. Its only on the US dd forum ppl think Mages are OP for some reason.