Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool Check out my new cheap build for wow players

This is my old build i was going to make but actually found cheaper parts now on the internet that will makeit around S1200.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case $139.99 Found a possible cheaper case for 100 bucks mid size

Asus P7P55 Deluxe Motherboard - LGA1156, Intel P55, ATX, Dual-Channel DDR3, Intel DMI, SLI, CrossFireX $179.99 Found a cheaper motherboard for 130 bucks, still asus ujust p7p55d e deluxe

Intel Core i7 870 Processor BX80605I7870 - 2.93GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail $289.99

Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM - - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB (2x 2048MB), 240 Pin, Dual-Channel $99.99

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card $89.99

Sparkle SXX4701280D5-NM GeForce GTX 470 Video Card - 1280MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11 $349.99 Hell no, I will be using Radeon 5770 for 160 bucks OC, cuts that down in half and wont heat up like that crazy ass card

Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", SATA 3G, 64MB Cache, GreenPower $64.99 I might take this but will also be using a SSD instead, i want to load up my pc within less than 20sec and have wow up in 1min of boot, just waiting for prices to lower

Only pain in the Arse is finding a good monitor, LED or LCD and whatnot, need to shop wisely on this otherwise my computer will suck

15+ Year Old Account
    • "Cheap builds" typically don't include a PCI sound card. In fact, it's mostly a waste of cash.
    • Overclocking a 5770 won't really give you much in the way of a performance increase. I saw slightly higher synthetic benchmark numbers, but other than that warm and tingly feeling, I saw no improvement. The GTX 460 is the way to go right now... 1GB version.
    • A system with an SSD doesn't really qualify as a "cheap build" and, on top of that, gives very little performance increase for WoW players (aside from faster loading screens and models loading in areas like Dalaran). Once everything's loaded, your SSD's performance increase goes out the window
    • For WoW performance, save some cash on the CPU and get an i5 750/760. Overclock it. WoW simply won't eat through the extra threads from the i7 870.
    • In addition to the CPU change, get RAM that will perform at 1600MHz or better. You'll need it, since you're raising the base clock from overclocking the i5

In addition to Cilraaz' list you forgot PSU.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

no matter how epic that system is, i dont think the majority of ppl think it is cheap... wow it is just so epic
    sup

Cilraaz you might be overreading a little of what i normally meant.

1. First off i said this is my old build, i forgot to take off the sound card my bad.

2. I wont overclock my graphics card, it just comes OC ready. It is by far way cheaper and more reliable than GTX 460 and will not melt down my computer with overheating and will save me on my energy usage.

3.As i said the SSD is when prices go down, current price is not worth it nor is the space. Re-read what i typed originally. Maybe prices will go way down during a seasonal promotion or something, if not western digitial is fine by me.

4. i7 processor is a common sense must over the i5, why be cheap and pay 80 bucks less when you can have the fun of hyperthreading. So i can be playign wow, have itunes opened, check my ebay status, possibly watch a movie, all at the same time, believe me i'm a super hardcore multitasker. I believe the i7 is a must for anyone building a new computer. If not you waste the p7p55d e deluxe mother boards advantages in my case.

5. I'm not overclocking anythng on my build. the i7 basically overclocks itself already and 4gigs of 1333 ram is just fine for 200 bucks. Don't know where i can get 4gigs of ram for a cheapr price than that?

Thanks for trying to help me out, appreciate it, hopefully this clarifies things a bit more.

---------- Post added 2010-08-08 at 01:22 PM ----------

vesseblah shoot my bad, yeah i might be usinga 750watt PSU for 60 bucks at the comp USA store near me. Forgot to mention that.Thanks for clarifying. Also a cheapy 18 dollar optical drive will do fine. Windows 7 OEM is only 100 dollars, all this figures into the 1200 price range, i am guessing maybe 3 months of substituting to just build this, so definately next year in 2011 i'll build it

Quote Originally Posted by shaddrak View Post
    4. i7 processor is a common sense must over the i5, why be cheap and pay 80 bucks less when you can have the fun of hyperthreading. So i can be playign wow, have itunes opened, check my ebay status, possibly watch a movie, all at the same time, believe me i'm a super hardcore multitasker. I believe the i7 is a must for anyone building a new computer. If not you waste the p7p55d e deluxe mother boards advantages in my case.
    Still overkill. I can easily run uTorrent, Ventrilo/TeamSpeak, Spotify, MSN, FireFox with 5+ tabs along with WoW and nothing slows down notably on 3-core AMD and 4GB RAM.

edit:

Or watch 1080p video from youtube on 2nd monitor while playing WoW on first.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-08-08 at 06:41 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I don't disagree with you wesseblah but i just don't want to be cheap and not spend 80 bucks when the future of processing is in the i7s, intel so far has better cpus than amd. I know wow is a super low end game but still, why not prepare myself for the future of gaming for games like crysis and stuff like that. This is my first computer build and don't have to worry about tesselation which is the reason i'm leaving out the GPU GTX series. Radeon is just fine for wow and the i7 according to all the comp USA members agree is worth paying the extra 80 bucks for. I've read tons of reviews and not many people disagree on paying a little more for an i7 over an i5 and i read from some clown that that i7 has 32% more activity on NPCs than the i5 but i have no idea where that person got that from. Anyway i think my build is fine for anyone who wants a good computer than can be used for gaming and the new 6.0 sata and 3.0 usb plugins that come with the mother board i'm using. The future is tomorrow.

Just saying that for today's software higher clockspeed trumps multiple cores almost exclusively. Buying more cores than you need is generally speaking bad idea and wasted money. The progress of multithreaded software has been surprisingly slow, dragging some 5 years behind hardware. That's why investing on it is dubious to say the least.

But if you know you need the extra cores for heavy math, go for it.
    Trolling should be.

$100 for a case?
    gag I got mine for $50 and it's great.

Though I do consider lights and windows of any kind useless fluff (ya know because they are) and of no use to me (cause they really aren't).

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cilraaz you might be overreading a little of what i normally meant.

1. First off i said this is my old build, i forgot to take off the sound card my bad.

2. I wont overclock my graphics card, it just comes OC ready. It is by far way cheaper and more reliable than GTX 460 and will not melt down my computer with overheating and will save me on my energy usage.

3.As i said the SSD is when prices go down, current price is not worth it nor is the space. Re-read what i typed originally. Maybe prices will go way down during a seasonal promotion or something, if not western digitial is fine by me.

5. I'm not overclocking anythng on my build. the i7 basically overclocks itself already and 4gigs of 1333 ram is just fine for 200 bucks. Don't know where i can get 4gigs of ram for a cheapr price than that?

Thanks for trying to help me out, appreciate it, hopefully this clarifies things a bit more.

---------- Post added 2010-08-08 at 01:22 PM ----------

vesseblah shoot my bad, yeah i might be usinga 750watt PSU for 60 bucks at the comp USA store near me. Forgot to mention that.Thanks for clarifying. Also a cheapy 18 dollar optical drive will do fine. Windows 7 OEM is only 100 dollars, all this figures into the 1200 price range, i am guessing maybe 3 months of substituting to just build this, so definately next year in 2011 i'll build it
    2. Using incorrect information doesn't make you right. A GTX 460 will hardly "melt down [your] computer". The first generation GTX 470/480's were heat generators. The GTX 460 is a second gen card with an updated cooler. It is also hardly less reliable than any other card on the market.

3. SSD prices aren't going to bottom out any time soon. They're still an enthusiast item.

4. "The fun of hyperthreading"? I have played WoW with Pandora, 12 tabs of Firefox, Ventrilo, VNCServer, Avira AV, Malwarebytes, Steam, etc, etc running... on my i5. The i7 is overkill for a "cheap build".

5. Getting any Core i CPU and not overclocking it is a waste. It "basically overclocks itself" when there are cores not in use. You've described yourself as a power multitasker, which takes Turbo Boost out of the equation a majority of the time. Oh, and G.Skill Ripjaw CL8, 4GB kit, 1600MHz - $99.99.

Well vesseblah the i7 and i5 both go up to 3.8mghz i think with turbo boost. Buying more cores than I need generally is a good idea especially with a full tower case that has lots of expansions for future upgrades, who knows what will come out. Either way i'll be prepared. Who knows, i might even get it cheaper than 290 bucks and it might be on sale for 220 when the new year comes out.

Moobious it's a fulltower case at compUSA, it has 5 fans in it, it's a beast. They had it on sale but think it might of changed They have full tower and midtower cases, they keep getting close to the same price. Having a window in your computer isn't important as having a good circulation of air, but why not have both LOL, coolermaster cases rock especially HAF ones.

Moobious it's a fulltower case at compUSA, it has 5 fans in it, it's a beast. They had it on sale but think it might of changed They have full tower and midtower cases, they keep getting close to the same price. Having a window in your computer isn't important as having a good circulation of air, but why not have both LOL, coolermaster cases rock especially HAF ones.
    The case I have has 5 fans (4 120mm and 1 140mm), 3 5.25" external bays, 6 internal 3.5" bays and an internal 2.5" bay for an SSD. It has a builtin dust filter and airflow is excellent.

So basically everything your case has for half the price. I'm not saying that the case you picked out is bad only that it isn't "Cheap".

For whom ever cares http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ= is the case I have.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

also i saw that exact motherboard on tigerdirect's site for $150, but idk if it was like after rebate or something
    sup

Hey Cilraaz. I'm not using incorrect information. Hands down everyone knows RAdeon cards are less heat producing and more power efficient and cheaper than any Nvidia GTX card out there. I'm talking about a cheap 5770 card, not some 2gb supreme card or anything like that. It's not the RAdeon 5870 or the GTX 480. I don't care if GTX 460 is a second gen card, it's still will produce more heat than the 5770 and use more power up. I don't need tesselation for WoW either so GTX is out of the picture for now.

Neither of us know when SSD prices will be lowered. Even if they are an enthusiast item neither of us know when they might go down in price, whether it be 4months or 2 years. I'm just clinging to my hope of it happening soon.

I don't think i7 is an overkill for my build. It's not really a cheap build as much as I might make it out to be. I can still afford the extra 80 dollars if it still remains at 290 within the new year when I build my computer.

4. "The fun of hyperthreading"? I have played WoW with Pandora, 12 tabs of Firefox, Ventrilo, VNCServer, Avira AV, Malwarebytes, Steam, etc, etc running... on my i5. The i7 is overkill for a "cheap build".
    you said. Well bud then that means I can do even more now.

I don't own a computer at the moment so i'm hoping the i7 performs greater than the i5. I think the turbo boost might be the same for both? Never used it myself.

As for the RAm you linked, thank you very much for that site. I will definitely add that to my build. Hopefully in 4 months i'll be able to put this thing together by going to compUSA and seeing what is on sale at that time.

---------- Post added 2010-08-08 at 04:41 PM ----------

Stea the compUSA store i go to here in TX has it for $130 shelf price. I picked it up and looked at it and smiled. I was like holy shite.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hey Cilraaz. I'm not using incorrect information. Hands down everyone knows RAdeon cards are less heat producing and more power efficient and cheaper than any Nvidia GTX card out there. I'm talking about a cheap 5770 card, not some 2gb supreme card or anything like that. It's not the RAdeon 5870 or the GTX 480. I don't care if GTX 460 is a second gen card, it's still will produce more heat than the 5770 and use more power up. I don't need tesselation for WoW either so GTX is out of the picture for now.
    Spoken like someone who doesn't know more than the general (outdated) perception of "current" hardware. I'm talking about a 5770 vs a GTX 460. You're looking at maybe $50 more for a card in a completely different ballpark of performance. The difference in power consumption and temperature will be negligible at best. This benchmark puts power consumption of a 5770 at 221W at load and 84*C at load. This same benchmark puts power consumption of a GTX 460 at 268W at load and temperature at 77*C at load. According to that, the GTX 460 will use a bit more power, but run cooler... while giving higher performance.

[edit: Noticed that the 5770 is on the second benchmark I linked, so I decided to use that for both (it was more favorable to the 5770's power consumption anyway.]

Neither of us know when SSD prices will be lowered. Even if they are an enthusiast item neither of us know when they might go down in price, whether it be 4months or 2 years. I'm just clinging to my hope of it happening soon.
    Fruitless hope. Like I said, SSD prices might come down, but they will most certainly not bottom out and become affordable for "cheap builds" anytime soon (ie. years).

I don't think i7 is an overkill for my build. It's not really a cheap build as much as I might make it out to be. I can still afford the extra 80 dollars if it still remains at 290 within the new year when I build my computer.

you said. Well bud then that means I can do even more now.

I don't own a computer at the moment so i'm hoping the i7 performs greater than the i5. I think the turbo boost might be the same for both? Never used it myself.
    Hope vs benchmarks and past experience with the hardware. If you want the i7, by all means go for it. We're just trying to tell you what hard numbers says about the comparison, as far as your usage is concerned. If you were doing video encoding, I'm sure we'd all be behind you getting an i7 (in fact, we'd probably suggest a step up to the 900 series). And again, you've described yourself as a massive multitasker. That takes Turbo Boost out of the picture for the majority of the time.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2010-08-08 at 11:57 PM.

4. i7 processor is a common sense must over the i5, why be cheap and pay 80 bucks less when you can have the fun of hyperthreading.
    So, you mention "Cheap build" and then state "Why be cheap?" ...i dont get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

hmm interesting, i wonder why the 5870 runs 180wats max then and this lower model does more wats. Maybe i should get a better graphics card so it can run cooler and last longer. I guess on these lower end models they are almost identical, i was probably reading on the top of the charts then that makes a huge difference between Nvidia and RAdeon. LOL i'm still getting an i7 not matter what anyone says. Whether i multitask or not. It's better than the 256mb of ram this 20 dollar computer cost me that i'm using. The cheap build is already bellow the 1500 dollar bracket which i consider cheap, so 80 dollars wont make that big of a difference. But who knows what Black Friday will offer.

Why get a high-end processor if you're going with a low-end budget 5770? This does not make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentrytotem View Post
    Why get a high-end processor if you're going with a low-end budget 5770? This does not make sense.
    Because WoW is CPU Dependant. getting a faster CPU will give alot more fps than a faster GPU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    So, you mention "Cheap build" and then state "Why be cheap?" ...i dont get it.
    Thank you! Finally, someone gets my point. I couldn't care less what parts the OP wants to put in their system, but calling it a "cheap build" and then putting in things like an i7 over an i5 just doesn't make sense.

hmm interesting, i wonder why the 5870 runs 180wats max then and this lower model does more wats.
    I'm not sure where you've seen that. This benchmark shows the 5870 at 354W at load.