Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazx View Post
    I mapped out a way this would work in a Super Heroic 5 man setting (so people could always have hard heroics), and the instance setting would cause the MOBs health/damage/etc. to scale based on the ilvl of the gear the players were wearing.

For example, place drops ilvl 200 gear. Group is in average 250 gear. All mobs gain X% damage/health/etc. for every 10 ilvls you are above the average loot dropped in the instance. So this group could see like a 50% increase in everything for the mobs (or 25%, or 10%, or w/e). This is really the only way I could see this working.
    That's really what I would like to see.
    I really don't look forward to plowing to a billion mobs with AoE once I've geared up again in Cataclysm. I want CC to stay important through the course of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    A simple way to do it.

When you tag a low level mob and you have this activated it gets a buff added to it increasing its stats.
    I could see this causing way, way too many unintended problems. Mobs don't even really have the same sort of stats as players do anyhow.

Frankly, this idea, while... interesting, seems either unworkable, without much point, or just confusing. Thumbs down from here.

10+ Year Old Account
    A simple way to do it.

When you tag a low level mob and you have this activated it gets a buff added to it increasing its stats.
    And then the 85 trains it into a level 45 city and it kills all the quest givers and such.

But- Unless reward is scaled, no significant portion of the population would want to do this. Why would you want to run an SM that gets auto-tuned to 85 elite and thus needing 3-5 85s in order to farm for some level 30ish bop blues.

Why, when you're leveling up mining or herbing or god help you leather working, would you want to have to kill things that will actually take some energy to get the same reward with not?

Any sort of scaling of difficulty without an accompanying change in reward would be rejected by the population at large. People want the most for the least.

I mean, heroics are still hard if you only wear blues. But no large part of the population is going to wear blue gear when they could be wearing purps for the same run or any other similar situation.

There's a name for the people that do:

Masochists.

A simple way to do it.

Player A, who is level 80, tags a mob with a Cleave. It gets buffed to level 80 difficulty.
    Player A runs to the questing level 17 Player B, places the mob so it's facing Player B.
    Player B dies from getting hit by a Cleave four times his own health.

It may sound nice on paper, but in practise it would be quite horrible.

EDIT: Your character is progression through the game, if you can suddenly just turn back and go bang on the door of the Scarlet Monastery for some phat loots after the place had been burned to the ground at the appropriate level, it would ruin the whole RPG feel of the game.

Second edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazx View Post
    I mapped out a way this would work in a Super Heroic 5 man setting (so people could always have hard heroics), and the instance setting would cause the MOBs health/damage/etc. to scale based on the ilvl of the gear the players were wearing.

For example, place drops ilvl 200 gear. Group is in average 250 gear. All mobs gain X% damage/health/etc.

So, Dungeon Group Tool. Freshly dinged James signs up to tank, all excited to gear up.

Then Bob and Rick comes along, both wearing full 277 ItemLevel gear. Bam! Suddenly the average ItemLevel of the group explodes, and James gets one-shotted by the first mob.
    Last edited by KandyCane; 2010-08-08 at 07:41 PM.

Another thing that comes to mind when thinking about this is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. While an extremely polished and excellent game, its major, glaring flaw was enemy scaling. It makes level progression and gear progression almost pointless. Yes, I understand that 'hey, it would still be easier to kill them with BiS gear!' but that's not really the point. The game should never be designed around BiS gear anyways.

I think this idea would be better suited for instances to be honest. The rest of the world should not change.

15+ Year Old Account
    While interesting, this falls in the same category as almost all of KnightHonor's threads.

Retarded.

Deleted
    Derp Derp!

While most of the people using this forum don't seem to understand your idea, OP, I do. I think it is a great idea and I have wanted something like this for a long time. I think i may be able to explain this a little better than some other people, via story-ish thing.
    -Player A is a newly level 85 warrior with quest greens.
    -Player B is a level 12 warrior, also with quest greens.
    -Player A decides to help Player B with his questing, as a good friend would. He decides, "Hey, I'ma turn on Persistent Mode."
    Player B has to kill level 13 things for his quest, so the two are off on their merry little way. They encounter one of the quest creatures, and Player B engages it. Player A jumps in to help, and does the same % of damage to it's health, as he would to a level 85 creature (Lets say a level 85 thing has 21600(?) HP, and he hits it for 8539. That's 39.53% of it's maximum HP. If a level 13 thing has 216(?) HP, he would hit it for about 85, which is also 39.53% of it's maximum HP, if he had activated Persistent Mode). Player B also hits said creature for about 85, assuming they have the previously stated gear levels. If the creature were to attack Player A, it would also deal a similar % of his health as damage, as a level 85 thing would. Ex. If a level 85 thing hits him for about 2189, so would this level 13 creature.

I hope this helps other people understand the idea a little better. And hopefully it will change their outlook on it as well.
    Last edited by schnel; 2010-08-08 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Math fail
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralisk View Post
    Magic makes everything radioactive so if you drink water that hasn't been purified by a vendor, you get a stacking DoT debuff called Cancer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    There =/= Their =/= They're; Where =/= Were =/= We're

The way that this woudl work would jsut be that once you turned it on the player got a debuff that said something like "damage dealt reduced by )player lvl +5 -Target lvl) * multiplier and damage received increased by (player lvl +5 -target lvl) * multiplier" or soemthing of that nature

You have to have an added level since not all mobs are lower than the players level

One thing that could come from this would be that if you turned this on lower level characters would not get an experience cut near as large as they currently do for example
    Last edited by Joodoc; 2010-08-09 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like the idea, dunno how it would work, but with the old world changing drastically being able to make it so all mobs are equal to twilight highlands and uldum mobs (those are the highest 2 new zones me thinks mob lv l wise) so going questing in the new darkshore would now have lvl 85 mobs making it as difficult to quest in as twilight highlands or uldum.

i like the idea instead of making going to old zones bla 1 shot bla bla boring like it currently is that u can make them all lvl 85 and quest as if it were twilight highlands or uldum

Cool idea, but it'd be way too hard to implement most likely. Also, it'd make farming for ANYTHING horrible... imagine having to farm for wool cloth by killing mobs in Utgarde Keep alone... still do-able, but definitely not pleasant if you're not a tank class.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alone on the mountainside, breathing the clearest winds...
    I wouldn't mind at all a model that allowed for "hardcore" heroics. The rest of the world? No thank you.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The one nail in the coffin for this idea is that it is INCREDIBLY boring.

At the moment my guild is having problems running ICC25 heroic mode. Many other guilds have simply fallen apart on our server (which is fortunate for us because we get the stragglers.

Why is this happening? Because no-one can be fucked doing the same instance week after week that they have been doing since January. Why the hell would you want this same thing happen everywhere? 3 years of running the same instance would make me commit suicide I think after experiencing running ICC for 8 or whatever months. Also farming Scarlet Monastry 478 times to get to 85 isn't my idea of fun. (I got the Rivindare deathcharger on my 11th attempt so I haven't had to farm anything like this and I'd rather not).

Just to point out my guild is 11/12 heroic and we have been in there clearing since day 1 so it has been a VERY long time in a single instance with no other content.

Generally most people play to experience new content, enjoy the story lines and then farm a bit (farming heroics etc) to gear up so that they can experience the higher content. Very few people would enjoy running the same scaling instances repeatedly.

In short: Although harder to implement (as in the long run scaling would be far less work for blizzard than creating multiple new instances), new harder content >>>>>>>>>>>> old reused recycled scaled content.
    Last edited by Stevenmr; 2010-08-10 at 04:40 AM.