Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Arcane power....what?

Arcane Power: Instant - 15 seconds CD **When activated, your spells deal 20% more damage while costing 20% more mana to cast. this effect lasts none**
    What does that mean??

It means exactly what it says

Deleted
    It means when you use Arcane Power, your damage goes up but the amount of mana each spell uses goes up to.

Basically you trade higher damage for higher mana cost, during the time that Arcane Power is active.

---------- Post added 2010-08-09 at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjji View Post
    It means exactly what it says
    English isn't a main language for some people.
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2010-08-09 at 12:03 PM.

now serious answer the 15sec cd and last none must be typo or else it will be op

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It means it's not yet implemented.

And that the duration it lasts has not been determined yet
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Deleted
    Ok let me ask again with more detail. What does 'This effect lasts none' mean?

Edit: posted this before i saw the 3 above me, thanks.

It's a typo or a mis-mined piece of data. The 'none' will likely be replaced with '15 seconds', as that is the specified time that the buff lasts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
    Dur hurr
    Wow your so cool

Deleted
    15sec CD just means there is 15secs between casting the spell and being able to use a spell that shares the cooldown (Presence of Mind). Also 'None' is a placeholder.

Edit: Ahha! Yea, more detail would've been useful xD And I can't believe it took me 6mins to type all that lol
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2010-08-09 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciros View Post
    Wow your so cool
    Awww thanks! Just what I always wanted! Approval from a nameless-one in some location unknown to me! (dripping with sarcasm)

or it could be being changing a 15sec cd that will only effect the next spell, idk seems weird when i think about it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    why do i suspect they will make it a toggle on/off self buff? =P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    because that would be quite retarded.
    BfA Beta Time

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be on 100% of the time. It's just bad datamining/tool tip bugs. I'll try to check on beta tonight (if I make it on--going on vacation tomorrow), but I suspect it is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    This would make sense. Blizzard is trying to make mana conservation a key role in caster dps and healing. Having this buff on would mean you could do a lot more damage, but it would drain your mana. So Mages now will have another cd effect to keep their minds on. Mages are starting to become a cd managing class, idk any other classes that play with cd's the way we do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    This would make sense. Blizzard is trying to make mana conservation a key role in caster dps and healing. Having this buff on would mean you could do a lot more damage, but it would drain your mana. So Mages now will have another cd effect to keep their minds on. Mages are starting to become a cd managing class, idk any other classes that play with cd's the way we do.
    you would never turn off AP if it was toggle-able. switch to mage armor and spec into all the mana replen talents, nothing beats a flat 20% damage increase, not even the arcane mastery.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    because that would be quite retarded.
    i think that would actually be a perfect idea, that's how arcane plays, you do as much damage as your mana will allow, and since mana WILL matter it will be a balancing act

most other classes are more limited but don't run the risk of going OOM in a few rotations, if they want specs to play differently, this is how they do it but whether arcane will go that far is anybody's guess

when i play my elemental shaman, i spam as much as i possibly can and my balance comes from gear/spec. i can give up mana regen by changing my spec/gear which allows for more dps

on my spriest, i basically have to play within a set parameter of damage/mana regen and the skill is in using mana regen talents and perfecting the rotation, with tons of room for error.....forget about shadowfiend or use it at the wrong time and you're OOM and wanding

not gonna go oom on my shaman, but that's the part i work on, giving up as much mana regen as i can to get more pewpew ability

arcane has always been more of a "right here, right now" balancing act, and an on/off buff would further that

nothing stupid about it, makes the gap between a good and average mage that much bigger, which is great

---------- Post added 2010-08-09 at 10:51 PM ----------

you would never turn off AP if it was toggle-able. switch to mage armor and spec into all the mana replen talents, nothing beats a flat 20% damage increase, not even the arcane mastery.
    if it's tuned properly, then you'd run OOM and that 20% increase will have ended up costing you 15% of your dps or so, that's the balance/skill that would be in it

not sure how long you've played, but never running OOM isn't how it's always been and cata is supposed to bring that back

15+ Year Old Account
    No, 20% damage for 20% more mana would be on all the time. It doesn't hurt your mana efficiency but it does increase your DPS. It's simple math.

Let's say you have 12,000 mana and can do 1,000 DPS at a cost off 100 mana per second. You can last for 120 seconds and do 120,000 damage.

Now toggle on permanent Arcane Power. You now do 1,200 DPS at a cost of 120 mana per second. You can only last for 100 seconds, but you still do 120,000 damage.

So same amount of damage, but done in a shorter period of time. On a long fight it doesn't matter; you do 120,000 damage regardless. On a short fight, you're going to do more with the magic AP switch turned on.

Not even if you are oom half way through a progression fight?

---------- Post added 2010-08-09 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    So same amount of damage, but done in a shorter period of time. On a long fight it doesn't matter; you do 120,000 damage regardless. On a short fight, you're going to do more with the magic AP switch turned on.
    Thank you, I completely agree

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardcashshop View Post
    if it's tuned properly, then you'd run OOM and that 20% increase will have ended up costing you 15% of your dps or so, that's the balance/skill that would be in it

not sure how long you've played, but never running OOM isn't how it's always been and cata is supposed to bring that back
    trust me, i've played this game a lot longer than most, probably yourself included. to give a rough time frame, when i started playing, arathi basin was about to come out (so right before patch 1.7).

as dire pointed out below, the damage and mana cost come out to be the same, except since you are doing damage more quickly, fights will end quicker thus never reaching the point where taking the buff off would be required.

i still think people just don't understand beta typos. an effect lasting none would never be applied, since it would disappear the second it showed up, but even then it would last SOME duration, so anything that lasts none doesn't exist. it's the same logic behind not being able to divide by zero. there are talents which reduce the cooldown of the spell by 30%. do you really think AP would be on a 10.5 second cooldown? anyway, back in patch 3.0.8, AP and PoM were put on a shared burst CD so that you couldn't AP+PoM+pyroblast people anymore.
    BfA Beta Time