Cool How do i do it in UK?

The thing is that i am going to move to UK soon and suddenly i've got to know that i CANNOT ( at least in my university's halls of residence ) use any torrent/ freedownload websites!!11 Moreover, everything i get should be licensed. I mean wtf ? Do i have to pay for every programme i get ( through official websites ) ?

Also, how this can affect WoW? I may not be able to install it from CDs because some of them are a bit damaged so that i will have to download it ( is it even possible for free lol? ). Are there any more things i should know about? If i get the game will i be able to play eh ?

I just need as much information as poss to get ready for everything, for example what if i get a laptop in my home country, get all the programmes i need ( for free ) and then move with it to UK without needing to buy anything?

Thankx

google 'wowwiki patch mirror'

Honestly mate, i wouldn't even sweat it. They put things like that in to scare you. The majority (like all the Universities i know about) have wireless hubs and the 'rent' for the internet comes from your Accommodation fee's. And seeing as it is wireless, there wont be an awful lot of security on it. You may get flagged if you are downloading 3gb movies or something (but people in your dorms will hate you for steeling there bandwidth anyway.

Plain and simple, playing WoW in Uni dorms isn't a problem at all. They can not legally ask you to install there software / programmes on your own personal laptop. 3 people in my previous guild are at Uni and they cope just fine, they have high pings occasionally though

10+ Year Old Account
    You do it like they do it on discovery channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond View Post
    Honestly mate, i wouldn't even sweat it. They put things like that in to scare you. The majority (like all the Universities i know about) have wireless hubs and the 'rent' for the internet comes from your Accommodation fee's. And seeing as it is wireless, there wont be an awful lot of security on it. You may get flagged if you are downloading 3gb movies or something (but people in your dorms will hate you for steeling there bandwidth anyway.

Plain and simple, playing WoW in Uni dorms isn't a problem at all. They can not legally ask you to install there software / programmes on your own personal laptop. 3 people in my previous guild are at Uni and they cope just fine, they have high pings occasionally though
    way to go missing the entire point of his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazertrooper View Post
    way to go missing the entire point of his post.
    Why? He asked if he will have a problem downloading and playing WoW, my post stated that he wont.

Care do add something constructive to the post?

10+ Year Old Account
    You will find that playing online games over university networks are restricted and cannot be done, aswell as downloading torrents you can't do that. (I am at Uni currently in the UK) Most universities have tremendous internet speeds needed for the sheer number of connected devices to the network. I am not sure however if you are able to use a proxy to connect though, might be against your uni network policy. However in regards to programs, i have quite a few programs that aren't paid for, however i didn't download them at uni. WoW can be downloaded through your account on Battle.net

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond View Post
    Why? He asked if he will have a problem downloading and playing WoW, my post stated that he wont.

Care do add something constructive to the post?
    And you fail yet again, worthless crap who can't even realize his mistake.

Deleted
    And you fail yet again, worthless crap who can't even realize his mistake.
    Troll. I smell one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoyll View Post
    Troll. I smell one.
    Get a flatshare, rather than paying for halls. You can do what you want.

And you get more tail.

You can go to your Battle.net account and download the entire WoW client, including all expansions that are tied to your account, torrents are 100% pointless and more likely to end up with your computer infected, in this case.

Deleted
    google 'wowwiki patch mirror'
    And remember to scan the fuck out of them first!

The keylogger I found on my PC came from getting a patch like this (contained in the folder), I was never hacked but it did prompt me to get an authenticator.

Interesting... I am currently at one of the major universities of the UK and I can do anything I want while using the wifi (and yes, that includes torrents, blizz downloader etc). But maybe I am lucky...
    Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about using the software that you already have and if you really need software for whatever you are going to do at the university, then normally they'll have an academic license which should allow you to use it.
    Oh, and concerning WoW, there are more than enough patch mirrors to direct download from.

Btw, chances are that you aren't the only one downloading or using illegal software, just ask your housemates, colleagues about it, they should be able to help .

ps. Just for clarification: I am not condoning illegal usage of software or pirating etc, but I'm being realistic and know that students most of the time don't have the money to buy everything legally.
    Last edited by DarkKnight388; 2010-08-09 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wave2 View Post
    Moreover, everything i get should be licensed. I mean wtf ? Do i have to pay for every programme i get ( through official websites ) ?

This is a joke right? Please tell me you're actually joking here.

( is it even possible for free lol? ).

Okey, this proves to me that you're totally clueless. When you buy a game like World of Warcraft you don't actually pay to hold a copy of the game. You pay for the account you register and the right to access Blizzard's servers.