Don’t dwell on the past
    Let’s just all take a breather
    And try to chillax
    There’s an epic amount
    Of nerd ragin’.
    They’ll fix it all later
    In a huge future patch
    For the game it is a-changin’.

The way I see it, the reason the lore is feeling increasingly weak is the following: Conflict has a tendency to be self-defeating.

Take the various religious wars going on in the world today. They are really... really... boring. Yes, people are getting killed left and right, but it's for the exact same reasons as it was 100s of years ago, so no one cares anymore.

Now, this is fine and dandy for a video game. Take TF2 for example. There doesn't need to be a reason for the two teams to be beating the crap out of each other for all eternity, they just are.

But in World of Warcraft all stages and aspects of life are being represented.. there needs to be a -reason- for the conflict.

This was handled easily for the first and second wars as there was plenty good reason for it.

However, we're reaching the point where the only reason the two sides are fighting is because they're both massive dicks and have a populous that's too stupid to do anything about it.

Take the War for Undercity. There was a clear and present chance for the two sides to settle their differences, but instead Varian goes 'You know what? You guys suck. Die naow' and thus the war continues.

Now, with the world itself in jeopardy, there's every reason to start getting along, but instead Thrall puts meathead Garosh in charge who, for some reason, is followed by the rest of the horde despite being absolutely determined to get them all killed.

Sadly, the World of Warcraft cannot continue to be the world of WARcraft if there isn't war going on, so something has to be done to keep making it so the two sides cannot communicate with each other. The reasons are just steadily getting more long in the tooth and more wearisome to acccept.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    People complaining about lore in Cataclysm mostly fall into the following groups.

A) People who don't actually know what they are talking about, and are overreacting to rumours, assumptions and falsely perceived lack of depth. These peoples issues would no longer require tissues if they actually looked, objectively, at the story Blizzard is telling and decided to wait for the gaps to be filled in before crying that the sky is falling.

B) People who don't know how to be objective, and only care about what their race/faction gets/doesn't get, without bothering to consider the story as a whole or from more than one perspective.

C) People who can't perceive shades of grey, or want this to be LotR, or otherwise hate any story wherein they aren't automatically the good guys and their enemies aren't automatically the bad guys.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    When wc2 was released people complained the lore sucked in comparison to wc1. When wc3 came out people complained the lore sucked in comparison to wc2. When wow came out people complained the lore sucked in comparison to wc3.

See the pattern here ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pojodan View Post
    Take the various religious wars going on in the world today. They are really... really... boring. Yes, people are getting killed left and right, but it's for the exact same reasons as it was 100s of years ago, so no one cares anymore.
    Wait, what? Dozens of people die each day in our world because religious conflicts and you say "meh, boring"?

Where is this world going to?...

Because they can't deal with WoW gameplay and WoW lore.

OMFG RAGNAROS HAS 1 MILLION HP AND HITS FOR SHITZ WHILE MARROWGAR WHO THE FUCK KNEW HIM HAZ 31 MILLIONS?? WTFOMFZ HE'S STRONGER THAN RAGNAROS? LOL HOW BLIZZARD U SUCK U SCREW LORE!!!111!!!!!11".

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    When wc2 was released people complained the lore sucked in comparison to wc1. When wc3 came out people complained the lore sucked in comparison to wc2. When wow came out people complained the lore sucked in comparison to wc3.

See the pattern here ?
    During WC1 and WC2 Internet was accessible to like, 5% of the people?

Either they were complaining in their RL nerd summits and W3 game tournaments or I hardly understand I could they complain.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I turn in vital pieces of a monsters anatomy (head) and having them come back to life in another dungeon/raid/whatever it becomes quite absurd. We turned in onyxia and nefarions heads when we killed them. They are both coming back as zombies in grim batol I believe? WE TURNED IN THEIR HEADS AFTER WE HACKED THEM FROM THEIR CORPSES AND THEY ARE NOW UNDEAD WITH THEIR HEADS REATTACHED?! Did the people of SW or Org forget to mention that twilight cultists stole the heads or are we just going to see this as undead can regrow lost body parts?

Seriously though, let dead bosses stay dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    TBH i disagree with this, after Kael'Thas, the 3 vampire-stooges and Saurfang Jr. enough people have come back for a while, when the plotline-death of any character makes you go "lol, he/she will be back", death has been cheapened too much even in an undead-themed expansion (The "...was merely a setback!"-meme is a sign to that extent really), besides overuse of the "Lol guess who's back?"-trick, WoW-lore is pretty damn good.
    Their have only been... what two people who have come back from the dead? Kael'thas and Anub'arak? And both of those were not even supposed to come back... Kael'thas only came back because people were not going to sit in BT for a few more months until Wrath came out, and Anub'Arak only came back because the fans wanted him to come back. Fordragon and Saurfang came back because that was in the grand scheme of the story, and they did not just "Magically" come back. LK raised Saurfang and the Dragon's fire kept Fordragon alive.

Also the only people who continue using the meme are trolls and morons... soooo, yea.

Edit: Also the Vampire dudes... techincally vampires in most common knowledge are immortal. Yes they can die, but by using special water, blood, or some other techinique they will come back to life. The San'alyne or however you spell it are WoW's version of Vampires. LK raises dead, which he has used countless times in this expansion. How do you think Naxx came back? Sindragosa? You get my point. The reason why so many "Dead" people are coming back alive in this expansion is because of the LK himself. He uses them to toy with us.
    Last edited by CapNPlaceholder; 2010-08-10 at 04:27 PM.
    "Violence is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is YES!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CapNPlaceholder View Post
    Their have only been... what two people who have come back from the dead? Kael'thas and Anub'arak? And both of those were not even supposed to come back... Kael'thas only came back because people were not going to sit in BT for a few more months until Wrath came out, and Anub'Arak only came back because the fans wanted him to come back. Fordragon and Saurfang came back because that was in the grand scheme of the story, and they did not just "Magically" come back. LK raised Saurfang and the Dragon's fire kept Fordragon alive.

Also the only people who continue using the meme are trolls and morons... soooo, yea.
    As I stated Ony and Nef are coming back. Rumors of C'thun returning. Even Arugal made a comeback in Grizzly Hills.
    Last edited by Wrathonia; 2010-08-10 at 04:50 PM. Reason: maybe -> made

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    When I turn in vital pieces of a monsters anatomy (head) and having them come back to life in another dungeon/raid/whatever it becomes quite absurd. We turned in onyxia and nefarions heads when we killed them. They are both coming back as zombies in grim batol I believe? WE TURNED IN THEIR HEADS AFTER WE HACKED THEM FROM THEIR CORPSES AND THEY ARE NOW UNDEAD WITH THEIR HEADS REATTACHED?! Did the people of SW or Org forget to mention that twilight cultists stole the heads or are we just going to see this as undead can regrow lost body parts?

I'm pretty sure that DW flies over SW and Org to collect his childrens heads. I've heard that mentioned several times a few months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    People's natural hatred for change is one factor, but the main one is that a lot of people joined WoW because of Warcraft3 and anything not related to what happened there displeases them. They fail to notice that warcraft3's lore has already been used up and now is dead, that's why Blizzard needs to come up with other stuff in order to keep WoW alive and Cataclysm did that brilliantly because it bathed itself in the deep waters of Warcraft2. Deathwing, Cho'gal, Grim Batol, Dragonmaw, all those are elements taken from Warcraft2, but since most people never played that game, they think these are sily stuff Blizzard just came up with. Imo, Deathwing and Cho'gal are far more interesting enemies than Illidan and the Lich King will ever be and that's why I'm far more excited about Cataclysm's lore than I've ever been with TBC or WotLK.

As I stated Ony and Nef are coming back. Rumors of C'thun returning. Even Arugal maybe a comeback in Grizzly Hills.
    Yea, Ony and Nef are coming back because they are the closest relatives to DEATHWING. Same with Synestra! Old gods never really "Die" and arugal I doubt is coming back. If you meant that he may comeback in the Heroic version of SFK, then no. It is someone else, I am willing to bet a thousand bucks.
    "Violence is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is YES!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CapNPlaceholder View Post
    Yea, Ony and Nef are coming back because they are the closest relatives to DEATHWING. Same with Synestra! Old gods never really "Die" and arugal I doubt is coming back. If you meant that he may comeback in the Heroic version of SFK, then no. It is someone else, I am willing to bet a thousand bucks.
    No, he got brought back in grizzly hills. Read?

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle Whizzle View Post
    I guess some people don't like changes because World of Warcraft is their life. Only thing they do.
    You heard me.

Okay, about Nefarian and Onyxia, well, yes, their heads are stolen and reattached. They also get revived by the Twilight/possibly Deathwing. You think Deathwing's gonna leave his children dead? Nah, he's a sick bastard. And an undead Onyxia, along with an undead Nefarian is a result.

Also, it makes sense for Ragnaros to come back, we only bested him. Now he's back in his realm, the Firelands, in Hyjal, threatening to destroy the World Tree. This time, we CAN kill him, because he is in his realm.

C'thun also makes sense, since we only killed his body, not him. We can't ACTUALLY kill C'thun without harming Azeroth.
    shit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    People hate change.

The thing is, we are used to lore(stories, whichever you wanna call it) to be written and done. That's how books/movies/TV shows work.

The thing about WoW lore however is it's everchanging. Some people aren't used to that, and thats when you get people who hate parts of the lore that changed.
    Not many games everchange either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckmoose View Post
    Come gather ‘round players
    Yes, even the gnomes
    And admit that the servers
    Around you have grown
    And accept it that soon
    There’ll be more mobs to pwn
    If your account to you
    Is worth savin’.
    Better cast water-walkin’
    Or you’ll sink like a stone
    For the game it is a-changin’

Come lurkers and trolls
    Who reside on the forums
    And never see people
    Outside of your dorm
    Oh don’t post too soon
    For the mods, they did warn
    And there’s no tellin’ who
    They’ll be bannin’.
    For the n00bzor now
    Could be full of teh win

Come warriors, paladins
    Please heed the call
    Don’t ask which is better:
    DP or shield wall
    For the druids and death knights
    Are havin’ a ball
    Watching the time
    You are wastin’.
    Anyone can tank
    Since the Lich King did fall

Come mages and warlocks
    Knock off your QQ
    You sit out of range
    Tossing out your pew pew
    And freak out when the mana
    Bar isn’t blue
    OOM’s comin’ back
    Quit the hatin’.
    Just be glad you’re not rogues
    And STFU

The beta is open
    The alpha is cast
    The previews are over
    Don’t dwell on the past
    Let’s just all take a breather
    And try to chillax
    There’s an epic amount
    Of nerd ragin’.
    They’ll fix it all later
    In a huge future patch
    This should be the song playing while you are watching the opening cinematic for Cataclysm
    I'm going to go watch Inception and then complain that it's nothing like Toy Story 3, despite the fact they're both films, and when I'm laughed out of the cinema I'll think of you.

To be honest, I couldn't care less. I don't read any of the quest descriptions, I either use QH or if its not available, just find out what I need to do. If I wanted to read a book, id have downloaded it for free off the interwebs, I wouldn't pay a subscription to it lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Wait, what? Dozens of people die each day in our world because religious conflicts and you say "meh, boring"?

Where is this world going to?...
    Boring was probably a poor choice of words. Maybe phrasing them as old news would be more proper. What he is trying to say is the same fights have been going on for centuries always with the same motivations and always with the same outcome, that the fighting continues and no outcome is ever achieved.

Only thing I hate in wow is the fact we kill so many former heroes, and they add classes that make no sense for the race (Nelf mage. Everything else I actully kinda like.