Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Is RealID being used as a scam?

I just don't get it. Maybe I'm wrong about this.
    But it seems to me like giving someone your RealID so you can chat cross server/game/faction etc, is pretty much giving a hacker the biggest piece of the puzzle to gaining access to your account. You log into WoW with your RealID name, aka your email. Sounds like a great idea to give it to people, even if you "know" them over the game.
    Anyone else follow this train of thought, or am I stupid?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Although I can see your point if someone where to have their account hacked, but usually people only give it to their REAL life friends (people they can trust not to be idiots)

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no doubt it could endanger your account, but you are the one who choses who's on your list, so just keep close freinds on it. Also, it's optional last time I checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Come on man.
    This is just insane, I don't personally agree with ReadID but what you think is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    But it seems to me like giving someone your RealID so you can chat cross server/game/faction etc, is pretty much giving a hacker the biggest piece of the puzzle to gaining access to your account. You log into WoW with your RealID name, aka your email. Sounds like a great idea to give it to people, even if you "know" them over the game.
    Are your friends hackers who want to do you harm?

15+ Year Old Account
    No need for personal insults, children. Lets act like semi mature human beings, honestly.
    And no, I don't give my RealID to someone I don't trust, but trust is a very finicky thing. Just because you're friends with someone doesn't mean you are going to be friends with them forever.

While this is true... can't you see your Friend's Friends list?

You consider your e-mail address, a generally public thing, to be a bigger piece of your account security than your password? What's your password then, 1234?
    Yea, you're giving up your account name, but if you're taking proper security measures it really shouldn't matter. It's definitely not a scam, but I do agree that it's a flaw in the system. It seems quite unnecessary.

"Real ID is a system designed to be used with people you know and trust in real life -- friends, co-workers and family"

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    You think people will start brute forcing your account just because they got a part of the puzzle?
    By the time they actually know your password, they would already know the email it's bound to aswell. So I really dont see your point.

nope your just stupid

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't realize that most people gave out their E-Mail address to random people they meet in a video game >_>.

RealID is intended to be a feature for people you trust, not random people you meet off the streets of Gilneas, maybe
    not even for your Guild Leader. You're not giving a "hacker" anything, because first off you shouldn't be giving your
    information to anyone who has even the slightest chance of hacking you, and second if you're handing your password to them
    with your E-Mail address (as the only thing accessible through RealID is your name, your Starcraft ID, and your WoW characters),
    then you deserve to be hacked.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Croce View Post
    "Real ID is a system designed to be used with people you know and trust in real life -- friends, co-workers and family"
    What happened to Blizzards stern stand point on "Never give anyone your account information!"?
    I guess its now, "Give people your account name, but not password!"
    By the way, you people are super super angry. Take some pamprin and then post. I don't need you bleeding all over the thread.

What happened to Blizzards stern stand point on "Never give anyone your account information!"?
    I guess its now, "Give people your account name, but not password!"
    By the way, you people are super super angry. Take some pamprin and then post. I don't need you bleeding all over the thread.
    Dude, it's your e-mail address! You give your email to people for work, for school, for everything nowadays!
    And we are the super angry ones? Take the sandy tampon out of your ass and get on with it dude. If you feel like it is such a violation to your privacy, go right ahead and give no one your B.Net address. They still have the old way of adding friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuckless View Post
    Dude, it's your e-mail address! You give your email to people for work, for school, for everything nowadays!
    And we are the super angry ones? Take the sandy tampon out of your ass and get on with it dude. If you feel like it is such a violation to your privacy, go right ahead and give no one your B.Net address. They still have the old way of adding friends.
    /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shuckless View Post
    You don't give them your login information though. Calm down and take the sandy tampon out of your ass.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

10+ Year Old Account
    RealID is only for real life friends.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

I am almost certain the biggest piece of the puzzle would be getting someone to give you their authenticator code the moment you want to log on.

There are a few vectors not being accounted for so far in this discussion.

One is that with a valid e-mail address, hackers can focus their phishing attacks as well as targeting the email account with spyware, keyloggers and trojans specifically designed to capture that WoW password. So, just with a confirmed e-mail addy, a gold seller can simply run a script that will send all sorts of ugly nonsense to a person and thus increase their chances of success greatly.

Second is simple malware. Let's not act like computers don't succumb to malware and many of them target email accounts. Again, simple automated programs can cross reference those e-mail addys against a WoW login and then revert to various processes in the previous paragraph.

Is it a HUGE vector? Probably not. The actual privacy concerns and the transient nature of what many consider "friend" are MUCH bigger concerns.