Did Blizzard go in the wrong direction with talents?

The more I think about the new talent system, the more I think its wrong.

The new talent system makes it too easy to spec. It also doesnt allow for much enhancement with another expac without a complete overhaul again.

I think many players would have like to see the current system enhanced with 5-10 new talents per tree. Give players alot of creativity options. Potentially breaking every tree into mini trees to enhance a particular talent or skill within a tree.

Examples:
    Imagine a prot warrior really speccing into shield mastery. New talents might be Charging slam - your charge and intervene now apply a shield slam. Also adding shield spin - you whirlwind with your shield hitting all targets in a 5 yd radius for xx damage. Prot warriors could access these talents, but wouldnt be able to say increase revenge or 1hand wep damage, etc.
    Other prot warriors go for better weapon oriented talents.

Fire mages might spec into talents that greatly increase the "burn factor" vs the direct damage of their spells, effecively gaining a DoT arsenal but with fire. Other mages go for bigger crits.

You get the point I hope.

It's more important to cut all the bullsh*t talents first and the start building on a foundation that works instead of just piling 5 new talent points with trees that already have useless talents to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want to back to have a bunch of "5% increased Crit" or "8% increased Spell damage"? They're doing this to cut all these boring talents, which is mandatory.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

Deleted
    The current system has already standard speccs with some LIIITLE exceptions.. so there is no point to go that 41/5/25, that all rogues have for mutilate pvp, and just read talents of %damage buff. you get that damage buff by default and you shoose between utility talents! (there are still damage buffs in first 2 tiers though)

What you are suggesting is exactly what they are trying to counter.. They want every talent u spend to be a major upgrade within your arsenal, that is why they are doing it...

There will always be "the best" spec and people will use it. Looking at your mage fire spec example: one of them would be superior and people would choose it anyway.

Honestly, I think Blizzard should make the talent points a little more like this: Talents should have the fun, utility parts, AND also the boring, + damage, healing, crit, and so on.

Think of all the possibilities Blizzard could do with this. Take the arms warrior's Two-Handed Weapon Specialization talent for example, increases damage with two handed weapons by 6%, a little boring. Now what if Blizzard added pairs or triplets of talents, you can only pick one to max out, they all gave the same 6%+ damage with 2H weapons, but each one gave a different interesting utility!

Although the talent trees would become filled with more talents, this new talent system would change the mindset from "Choose extra damage or utility?" to "Choose which utility, but get extra damage no matter which choice"