Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Suggestion: Make It Free For Everybody

Hello, guys. Something has come in my mind recently and I'd like to share it with you. What I thought is that Blizzard could make the game free for anyone who wants to join it, but make you pay in order to get access to higher levels of dungeons and gears. I think this would actually take away all the non-serious players and leave the game for the persons that will to pay and play the game seriously.

Anyone that agrees with that?

edit : I have 'apologized' at page 3. Please lock this.
    Last edited by Heris; 2010-08-12 at 03:25 AM.

Deleted
    No.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would also destroy their revenue they earn from WoW, this was at best a 2/10 troll attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

This is not a troll attempt. I am serious. Don't reply if you're not willing to discuss it in a serious manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
    No.
    This. ^

When you make a game free to play, that's typically a signal that the game is failing.
    It doesn't have to be, but if you've been gaming long you've seen a long, long list of MMOs go "free to play" after they had faded away.

Really, $15/month isn't at all a lot of money. 50 cents/day. There isn't a lot of reason to change it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heris View Post
    This is not a troll attempt. I am serious. Don't reply if you're not willing to discuss it in a serious manner.
    Not a Troll Attempt? Then you're just stupid and there is no discussion to be had. WoW is a subscription based MMO, if Micro Transactions are your thing, there are plenty of other games out there that you can pay to be better than everyone else. I'd recommend Allods, super WoW clone, and from what I've heard, they just massively nerfed everyone in the latest patch and you have to use the cash shop to be unnerfed. Go nuts.

Yeah I have to agree with the whole "no" thing

15+ Year Old Account
    the game is already free for 30 days, thats level 60 at the very least, on like 5 chars
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

Well, like I said, I think that doing so would take away a lot of "non-serious" players and thus improve the quality of gaming for those that are willing to pay maybe a little more than actually.

This is-What?

But that's also ruining a lot of serious players' gaming on a daily basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello, guys. Something has come in my mind recently and I'd like to share it with you. What I thought is that Blizzard could make the game free for anyone who wants to join it, but make you pay in order to get access to higher levels of dungeons and gears. I think this would actually take away all the non-serious players and leave the game for the persons that will to pay and play the game seriously.

Nobody will agree with this. Wow isn't a F2P game. It's a P2P. Beside this, alts would be a huge problem. We would have to pay per characters? If I have a lowbie, I wouldn't want to pay for him if I only raid with one character. Well, you see my point.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

since when did "serious playing" = "willing to pay more" boiling down your point you basically want wow to be free but for blizzard to sell gear... so i'm going to say No like the rest of the people here.

I think this would actually take away all the non-serious players and leave the game for the persons that will to pay and play the game seriously.
    I'd love to hear that idea pitched at the Blizzard offices...

"Hey guise, I thought of a way to get rid of most of our customers.... What if instead of selling them the game they are currently paying for, we just GIVE it away?"

Yeah. Hadn't thought about it. But the price you pay could unlock access to upper tier dungeons for all the characters on the account.

Considering how most free to play mmos don't have large population is that the game doesn't change that much. But thanks to money, Blizzard can make expansions and patches and fix bugs in a timely matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have fun being ridiculed.

Why can't we just admit it? We won't stop until the blood is flowing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malkara View Post
    the game is already free for 30 days, thats level 60 at the very least, on like 5 chars
    WoW trials have a level limit of 20 last I looked?

To OP: No, no, NO!

1) Do you even know what the highest revenue of Free 2 Play MMO game companies is? It can be measured in tens of millions. Blizzard is a 4+ BILLION dollar company. They didn't get there by having f2p games, or worse, being stupid.
    2) The resources to create, maintain and expand a game like WoW over the course of 6+ years is more than you can clearly imagine. There is no way WoW would be the XX-million subscription game that it is today without those resources. You cannot obtain those resources from F2P model - since no one else has come even close in magnitude.
    3) F2P model invariably detracts from the game and ultimately causes the game to stagnate and die. The reason is that the game company are continually faced with the choice of putting food on their plate for them and their kids (think of the children!) by adding money-generating fluff or spend many man-hours adding new actual game content without being paid a penny upfront for it and just hoping on future revenue. In the end, they just stall in development of the game at this quandary.

If you want F2P, there are plenty of other non-WoW games out there. Good luck. NO THANK YOU!
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2010-08-12 at 02:29 AM.