Page 1 of 3
LastLast

idea on how to make epic gear feel more EPIC

so i was thinking that a way that blizzard could make epic gear feel more epic, by doing something very simple that wouldn't change anything but a color.

so my idea (sorry if its already been said ) was that every time a new tier came out for example. 3.1 ulduar, 3.2 TOC, 3.3 ICC that the previous tier all the items would change from epic color (purple) to blue, but the would still retain all the stats and everything that items have. the only thing changing is the color of the item.

this way that highest tier of raid would be where u get the epics.

now idk how itemization works if by making a item blue or epic it automatically changes something then let me know.

so what u all think

Nah, we got item level for that. The gear quality is for showing the item's source, not how powerful it is in relation to other gear at the moment.

I wouldn't like it if Molten Core gear, etc. suddenly lost its epic status, just because it's outdated content. I think the epic status of gear is a good way to make gear found in raids feel a little more special than what we get from quests and 5-mans. (I think it would have been nicer if the gear from magister's terrace and the icecrown 5-mans was blue, despite their item level.)

A better solution would be to add another color for normal mode raids and have heroic mode raids drop epics.

or how about add another color for old epic gear?

10+ Year Old Account
    oh easy

heroic modes only drop epics

that way the casuals get there content
    the people who think there hard core with either bitch and cry or be happy with some epics
    the hard cores still get there epics

yea thats another good way.

in general 5-mans shouldn't drop epics lol

what i would love to see is you can keep any skin on your current gear... For Ex. you can use the T6 Skin on your T10 gear you can use the Skin of your favorite sword or mace on your current mace

making every one look different and make there own epic feel

Deleted
    I never understood why Blizzard haven't introduced dyes for personal customization. It would be also awesome if dyes were linked to a profession.

Its successfully present in many other games and compared to the total effort required to make whole new skins, textures, weapon models, armor models and whatnot, its almost trivial. It would be a one-off effort to make the dye infrastructure and then that's it, the rest is literally just colors.

Greens from quests.
    Blues from Dungeons and lesser raids. (VoA, Sartharion and Onyxia) Basicly filler raids or "gearing" raids.
    Purples for high end Raids/pvp rating.
    Legendaries for Endbosses/chainquest/Grind job.

Crafted will allways be blue.

This idea gets suggested every week. Its not a good idea sorry.

jsut stick with the plan that 5 mens do not drop epix. only heroic last bosses drops.
    And then raids drop epic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok then:

Lets take 10 man ICC as an example, every boss drops 2 items, one a blue item, level 251 and one an epic level 251. In heroic mode, the blue becomes a 251 epic, with gem slot and the 251 becomes a 264 epic item.

Sorted.
    :3

Is it really that big a hit to your ego to have someone else wearing the same color gear as you?

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

i sorry i just dont like this...they shouldnt change everything around just to make elitist happy while knowing they have a much higher casual player base.

and besides the elitist get there ego boost from the epic achivements and mounts and legendary gear...let us casuals have purple gear

Let's make this very clear.

Homer's Odyssey is an epic. Purple font, changing the font color, or dropping the percentage rate on items does not make things more "epic".
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Better idea! Bosses should only drop epics on Tuesdays, and on every other day, the bosses will drop a note, reading "LOL SCRUB CAN'T CLEAR ICC IN ONE NIGHT, GB2RUNESCAPE"

Trash, however, will continue to drop occasional epics, and will have a chance to drop Thunderfury bindings in 25-player mode. Just to keep things interesting.

it should be like this

Heroics: Blues with item level 346

Early cata raids: Blues with item level 359

Later on patched raids: Epics with item level 359+

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotemplar View Post
    so i was thinking that a way that blizzard could make epic gear feel more epic, by doing something very simple that wouldn't change anything but a color.

so my idea (sorry if its already been said ) was that every time a new tier came out for example. 3.1 ulduar, 3.2 TOC, 3.3 ICC that the previous tier all the items would change from epic color (purple) to blue, but the would still retain all the stats and everything that items have. the only thing changing is the color of the item.

this way that highest tier of raid would be where u get the epics.

now idk how itemization works if by making a item blue or epic it automatically changes something then let me know.

so what u all think
    It does. Greens generally have 3 stats, while blues generally have 4 and epics 5.

Changing epics to blues completely screws up the current item setup, and is far more work than Blizzard needs to make for themselves.

The only reason "epics were epic" in vanilla is because you had three epic drops to divide among 40 people, there were no badge systems, and tier items until Naxx were as shown. No Pally/priest/warlock tokens to divide. If the hunter T2 helm dropped off Ony again and your five hunters already had it, grats on your enchanting mat.

Epics stopped being "epic" in BC, and people didn't have one quarter the QQ fit about it that they have now until the Shattered Sun vendor came out, and you could get items that were best in slot until Illidan for farmiong Karazhan and some heroics. The epics were still epic, but they got all butthurt because their precious gear became outdated and people could get upgrades without banging their heads into walls they maybe couldn't handle just yet. Believe it or not, some people do need gear to progress. It doesn't just come naturally to them.

The system today needs tweaking. Epics don't need to be turned into blues in a system that makes no sense whatsoever except to appease the egos of self-absorbed nobodies that worry way too much about their GearScore.

I say instead of that bullcrap you said, OP (which, yes, has been posted before. Jesus learn how to use a search engine, I've read this same damn suggestion at least half a dozen times in the past year now), do this.

-Remove tier from badge vendors. Make it only obtainable by doing raid content.
    -Never again put weapons on badge vendors. This has pretty much already been done, save a wand or two (which are stat sticks anyway, like librams and such will be).

Look at that. I made epics more epic without changing colors that only pertain to item stat optimizations. "Epic" doesn't, never did, period, end of story, mean "rare and ultra hard to obtain". Essentially, the only thing epic matters for is the percent chance it will drop from a random mob and the number amount of stat placement it can have.

Stop making mountains out of anthills and you'll enjoy your time in-game far more than you do nowadays, people. It's a game. Play it, enjoy it, stop treating it like it's high school and you have to be the "fashion-savvy cool kid with all the expensive clothes". Gear is for progression, not to make you feel good about yourself. Deal with it.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea, what about the highest current item lvls in both pvp and pve become the current shade of purple and the others are a bit lighter as this would differentiate the highest content from the rest.

Armour enchants should glow like weapon enchants, that would make them look pretty epic

...or is that not what you meant?