Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Shamans need to make use of curses and voodoo

title

When I think of shamans I think of a tribal witch doctor that puts curses on people and uses voodoo(like black magic, voodoo dolls, ect.).Shamans using curses makes more sense than a warlock using them.Wouldnt it be great if they added more curses for shamans, and possibly an ability like a voodoo doll.

For instance

Voodoo doll:Make a copy of your enemy that lasts 12 seconds, the copy is unable to cast spells or attack, but when you attack it your attacks deal 1.5x regular damage and bypass absorption effects.All damage done to the copy is transfered to the player.instant cast 2 minute CD.

Curse of insanity:Place a curse on your enemy making them lose control of their character(if in pvp), going on a rampage and attacking random people including their own teammates, also deals x amount of damage over time.1.5 second cast 1 minute CD.

These are rough ideas that I made up in a few minutes so obviously they wont be super balanced, but does anyone like the idea of shamans being curse users and have skills related to voodoo?
    Last edited by bateman; 2010-08-13 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bateman View Post
    For instance

Voodoo doll:Make a copy of your enemy that lasts 12 seconds, the copy is unable to cast spells or attack, but when you attack it your attacks deal 1.5x regular damage and bypass absorption effects.instant cast 2 minute CD.

Curse of insanity:Place a curse on your enemy making them lose control of their character(if in pvp), going on a rampage and attacking random people including their own teammates, also deals x amount of damage over time.1.5 second cast 1 minute CD.
    The ideas are creative, but the curses are just too similar to locks. And also, most of the shamans that we play aren't as voodoo as say, the troll shamans. I could see a spell or two being added in regards to it, however.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkenedPaladin View Post
    The ideas are creative, but the curses are just too similar to locks. And also, most of the shamans that we play aren't as voodoo as say, the troll shamans. I could see a spell or two being added in regards to it, however.
    But shamans using curses makes alot more sense than a warlock using them.

Eh, if we were playing witch doctors, yes.
    But the shamans we have are more about working with the spirits, than cursing people and other such negative effects.

*Edit*
    Although, we do have Hex already. So who knows?
    Last edited by DarkenedPaladin; 2010-08-13 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot about Hex

Shaman use the powers of the elements for their abilities. Both of those things are something a troll might be able to use, but not a shaman. Shamanism is about asking the elements for power, and using those powers to do what it right. A curse isn't something a shaman uses, curses root their powers in evil, not shamanistic one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempos View Post
    Shaman use the powers of the elements for their abilities. Both of those things are something a troll might be able to use, but not a shaman. Shamanism is about asking the elements for power, and using those powers to do what it right. A curse isn't something a shaman uses, curses root their powers in evil, not shamanistic one bit.
    Hex is a curse so its not like its unprecedented.Witch doctors and shamans are very similar if not the same.Both are tribal mages that make use of magic and curses.Why not add more curses for shamans?

liking this idea.. lets hope for some curses

Shamans =! troll witchdoctors, similar though they are. As far as actual shaman lore has gone since the game's release, this would make absolutely no sense. Possibly even less than that. Hex is the best yer gonna get, and that's more of a clever game mechanic excuse to give shamans CC than anything else.

Stop taking ideas from Heroes of Newerth :P
    The doll idea is...cool by itself but not very shamany....the curse of insanity is if anything a warlock spell.

Voodoo has roots in darker magics (necromancy).

Shaman can have many connotations: witch doctor, medicine man, seer, etc. In WoW's definition of shaman, voodoo does not fit.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Quote Originally Posted by rat View Post
    Shamans =! troll witchdoctors, similar though they are. As far as actual shaman lore has gone since the game's release, this would make absolutely no sense. Possibly even less than that. Hex is the best yer gonna get, and that's more of a clever game mechanic excuse to give shamans CC than anything else.
    explain how it wouldn't make sense lore wise?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Can't think of any way why a guy with elemental powers would use more likely curses than wrong-gone-shaman/mage that uses all kinds of destructive spells. One good reason?

explain how it wouldn't make sense lore wise?
    For example this: not any of the races/tribes we have as player characters use black voodoo magic. Not even trolls. Not the Darkspear trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    Voodoo has roots in darker magics (necromancy).

Shaman can have many connotations: witch doctor, medicine man, seer, etc. In WoW's definition of shaman, voodoo does not fit.
    WoWs definitions are constantly changing.Now I'm not real big on WoWs lore, but I seem to remember many people complaining endlessly about them messing with lore in a bunch of ways.Like The lich king being killable by players and illidan being killable.The yogg saron, which is a god, being killable also made no sense.Taking shamans in a witch doctor direction isn't exactly a giant departure from established lore like the previously mentioned things were.

Troll warlocks are playable come cata.

...Explain to me how it would.

For trolls, maybe. But not for any other race.

Shamans only borrow power from the elements. The most true "magic" they use is Hex and Ghost Wolf--both forms of shapeshifting. I can't find a way to fit a curse or a "voodoo doll" into earth/air/fire/water unless you say they somehow do nature/fire/ice damage. And that's just forcing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post

For example this: not any of the races/tribes we have as player characters use black voodoo magic. Not even trolls. Not the Darkspear trolls.
    This part is one of the most easily fixed things I can think of.Maybe they decided to start using voodoo magic? Death knights being able to be in the horde and alliance are much, much more drastic than this.

---------- Post added 2010-08-13 at 03:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rat View Post
    ...Explain to me how it would.

For trolls, maybe. But not for any other race.

Shamans only borrow power from the elements. The most true "magic" they use is Hex and Ghost Wolf--both forms of shapeshifting. I can't find a way to fit a curse or a "voodoo doll" into earth/air/fire/water unless you say they somehow do nature/fire/ice damage. And that's just forcing it.
    Shamans also use the power of spirits.The spirits don't have to be good, they can be evil.Hence, why it would make sense for shamans to use curses and voodoo-esque spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    This part is one of the most easily fixed things I can think of.Maybe they decided to start using voodoo magic? Death knights being able to be in the horde and alliance are much, much more drastic than this.
    Yea, would suck even more than tauren paladins. Not everything should be as simple "well now we say they do!". And I can't see a problem with horde/alliance DK's. No more than I see a problem with class itself but.. Still, explain the voodoo stuff on the other races. For example.. draenei. Draenei shaman using voodoo? I'm listening.

I like the idea of shamans using curses, much like the examples you've given, 'cause, as you've stated, shamanism is all about spirits, hexes, voodoo... but lorewise warcraft shaman are linked to elemental spirits and they call them to increase their power and their allies'. If they ever get those voodoo spells they shouldn't (imo) deal shadow damage at all, just causing the target to get a different state (like actual Hex), i.e.: slowing/lowering power/increasing damaged received... that kind of stuff.

In addition, some classes don't match with the use of those shadow spells, sure trolls, goblins and orcs do, even a bit dwarves, but I don't see tauren or tentacle'd-spacegoats using them. It would look weird.

(sorry for my English)
    Last edited by Sylar Hao; 2010-08-13 at 03:59 AM.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Voodoo
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Shaman

Shamans are fundamentally centered around the elements, this kind of change is better suited for an entirely new class. I mean you don't suddenly see hunters turning into demon hunters in wow, it just doesn't make sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dinizle26 View Post
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Voodoo
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Shaman

Shamans are fundamentally centered around the elements, this kind of change is better suited for an entirely new class. I mean you don't suddenly see hunters turning into demon hunters in wow, it just doesn't make sense.
    Indeed. Just like a priest would go "why can't we learn to use plate and 2H weapon? See, there are people doing Light-spells in plate!".