Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Well geared hunter doing 6k dps in ICC?? What am I doing wrong here?

Typically I do 5600 - 8700 dps in ICC 25. My gear is decent but I can't hit the high numbers. Always bottom of the dps. Obviously it's my rotation(maybe a couple pieces of gear) and I can't figure out what I'm not doing right. My World of Logs for my last run is posted at the top. If anyone can help me understand my rotation flaws or suggest a good rotation, I'd really appreciate it. Well, looks like I can't post links atm :-\ But it's found in worldoflogs.com, U.S., Daggerspine, Mojo, 13-08-10.

i know hunters are supposed to get every auto shot they can even while running by stopping at the exact time it goes off but im not sure that how you do it

I am the Warrior. Death is my business. Be it yours...or mine.

tell me what spec you are and how you are gemmed possibly provide armory info and i can give you tips
    Every foul deed leaves a stain on this world and despite the sins of weaker men there will always be someone left to clean up their mess.

Deleted
    Don't worry, I saw a 6k gs Hunter do less DPS than me on LK (I was tank doing about 3k?) on about 5 seperate tries. He also died cos he fell off the edge, Thought standing in Defile damaged LK, he fell off the edge, He moaned cos he stood in front of Horrors and died, he disengaged off the edge, he meant to tranq the adds and ended up distracting shotting LK, and did i mention? HE WALKED OFF THE EDGE.

All on Frostmane EU. I must say, His fails were Rampant

All in all, your not that awful

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    Don't worry, I saw a 6k gs Hunter do less DPS than me on LK (I was tank doing about 3k?) on about 5 seperate tries. He also died cos he fell off the edge, Thought standing in Defile damaged LK, he fell off the edge, He moaned cos he stood in front of Horrors and died, he disengaged off the edge, he meant to tranq the adds and ended up distracting shotting LK, and did i mention? HE WALKED OFF THE EDGE.

All on Frostmane EU. I must say, His fails were Rampant

All in all, your not that awful
    there are people who are worse than this guy
    and they got kingslayer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    there are people who are worse than this guy
    and they got kingslayer
    I highly doubt it.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...spine&cn=Kythn
    His/her armory.

1. Drop NES - Get WFS or DBW (You're over softcap, tho not hardcapped) - Banner of Victory might do a little job there.
    2. 15sta/Minor speed increase @ Boots should be a little upgrade in most fights
    3. Enchant gloves - Hit (to get hitcapped, you lack 0.6%) or AP
    4. Enchant and gem your (new) weapon

Im a nub at reading logs, so i can't give you tips there.
    But those should do a lil DPS increase (esp. the trinkets)
    Last edited by Mystspecimen; 2010-08-14 at 02:14 AM.

You casted 4 chimera shots and 2 aimed shots over the course of a Putricide kill. If you can't figure out what is wrong with this then I don't know what can be done to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybeloras View Post
    You casted 4 chimera shots and 2 aimed shots over the course of a Putricide kill. If you can't figure out what is wrong with this then I don't know what can be done to help you.
    Those were hits. He got respectevly 15 and 17 crtis. Putting it at 19 casts of both. Way too low tho ( I think ).

Few questions to you mr. OP:
    1. Do you keep Serpent Sting up?
    2. Do you use Aimed Shot and Chimera Shot on CD?
    3. Do you prioritize Kill Shot when able to?
    4. Do you synch your CDs with Bloodlust? (Call of the Wild, Rapid Fire, Readiness)
    5. Do you have a 10% AP buffer in the raid? If answer=no, spec into "Trueshot Aura"
    6. Do you use Kill Command on CD? And do you keep your pet up (healers mostly ignore it, tho it shouldn't die nowadays with all the smart-heals).
    7. Why are you casting ARCANE SHOT?
    8. Do you use Silencing Shot on each Cooldown? (Macro'ing helps)- Most fights don't require and interrupt and if they do - fix a 2nd bar without Silencing Shot macro'd or make the macro's include a modifier.
    9. Respec your pet (Wolf, which you should use in raids)
    --One less in Pet Warding, 1/1 Dash
    --One less in Bloodthristy, 1/1 in Boar's Speed

Shouldn't be gamebreaking, but it's a DPS increase afterall.
    Last edited by Mystspecimen; 2010-08-14 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Floxun View Post
    Those were hits. He got respectevly 15 and 17 crtis. Putting it at 19 casts of both. Way too low tho ( I think ).
    Whoops. Anyway, that is 190 seconds, it was a 4 minute fight, if you take phase transition x2 into account that isnt too far off.

ty for trying to help this hunter... none of us officers of his guild are hunters.... so we dont know wtf he is doing wrong.... and if he cant fix it.... we need to stop feeding his ass gear :P

but seriously... i have alerted him that his post has hits and he should be reading / responding momentarily

Just looking quickly, get the tier gloves, and pants from LDW. NES has gotta go. Gem that weapon. Find a better socket bonus to use that Nightmares Tear in(Your chest would give two more agi).

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    I highly doubt it.
    lk is super hard with 30% buff

Enchanting gloves and polearm are a given, as well as getting hit capped. Arcane shot should only be used on the move with armor pen over 350ish.

Compared your parses to mine, and you are not getting off enough globals. For Rotface, you had 108 globals(steady, chimera, aimed, arcane, kill shots) in a 4min 42 second fight where I had 80 globals in a 2min 28 second fight. Even with amazing gear, if you are not getting off the maximum amount of shots on gcd your dps will be lacking.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Didn't expect so much info so quick! Thank you guys! =D

I did a lot of changes to my gear already. Trinkets are going to take some time to obtain(I'm still low priority for gear in my guild ><). And I didn't notice I was under hit cap. Now I'm 1% over and can take 1 point out of Focused Aim.

Also got a couple new macros for Kill Command and Silencing Shot.

Now I just need to try it all out.

As for Arcane Shot, I do way more running around than I'd like and use it mainly as filler on the go. Rotface especially. But that's more a matter of where I'm standing I think.

Very much appreciate the advice! I'll post again after my next ICC on whether I move higher on the dps chart or if I'm just that much of a noob lol.

Why i can't get gear like he got i would do soo much better.. not fair..

Less standing still doing nothing.
    Example blood queen, fairly stand still and nuke fight for a hunter. 4 min 55second fight.

You cast 22 aimed shots and chimera shots out of a possible 29, 70seconds worth of them sitting off cooldown unused.
    Rapid fire twice instead of 4 times in 5 minute fight, didn't use readyness at all?
    Only 7 silencing shots.
    Serpent sting fell off multiple times because not casting shots when should be, resulting in 3 non-serpent stung chimeras.

Overall too much downtime in everything, you a slow clicker?

---------- Post added 2010-08-14 at 01:06 PM ----------

trueshot and forgetting to put aspect up? hunters mark inconsistant, is track undead on?

General things you should know:
    First off, ALL your shot macros should look like this or any variation:
    #showtooltip Steady Shot
    /cast [@player] Furious Howl
    /cast [@pettarget,harm,exists] Bite
    /cast Silencing Shot
    /cast [target=pettarget,exists] Kill Command
    /cast Steady Shot
    The important thing is to have Silencing Shot macro to all your shots.

Now as a Marksmanship Hunter your shot priority should look like this:
    1. Serpent Sting
    2. Kill Shot (when available)
    3. Chimera Shot
    4. Aimed Shot
    5. Arcane Shot (remove if your gear is good enough)
    6. Steady Shot
    Serpent Sting: Make sure to refresh your Serpent Sting when you get a proc / buff that is gives you a % damage bonuses. The reason is because Serpent Sting retains the % damage bonus. So by doing this means more damage.

Since you are gemming full ArP, you might consider dropping Arcane Shot. Also since you are gemming ArP, Auto Shot and Steady Shot should be your top 2 attacks (followed by either Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, or Piercing Shot) because they are effected by ArP. So its very important that you do very little moving and yes its possible for ICC.

Also make sure to keep Serpent Sting up on boss through Chimera Shot and always have Hunter's Mark up.

For your professions: Tailoring isn't the best choice but at least you leveled it enough to get the bonus. Now I see you have JC but haven't fully leveled it. To push the most dps you with with what you have, its best to level JC and get the Dragon's Eye gems (More ArP too).

Your Enchants: Your pants are missing Leg Armor enchants and your run speed enchant is arguable. To maximize damage you want to try to reduce the amount of running. If you know all the fights in ICC you can position yourself so you don't have to move a lot.

Buffs: As a Marksman Hunter our dps is very reliant on raid buffs. So before pulling, make sure you have all the buffs you need. Since you are not near ArP cap yet, you should be using ArP elixirs and food:
    Hearty Rhino (Food Buff)
    Elixir of Armor Piercing (Battle Elixir)
    Elixir of Mighty Thoughts (Guardian Elixir)
    Consumables: Another thing to help improve dps is using Potions. You can either use Potion of Speed(500 Haste for 15 sec) or Potion of Wild Magic (200 Crit for 15 sec)

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just picked up leg enchant, thank you for catching that.

I only did tailoring for the mounts and will be dropping it for engineering when my jewelcrafting is 450. Haven't taken the time to farm ore lately.

Trueshot Aura is part of my current respec and wasn't present for my last World of Logs post. Silencing Shot is now macroed to all shots. I didn't notice I used Chimera without Serpent sting active.>< Another problem I have is forgetting to switch from Viper back to Dragonhawk after my mana fully regenerates. Another hunter in my guild helped a lot too, told me to use Call of the Wild myself instead of the pet auto-using it. And that's macroed to Berserking racial. He also told me about the ArP food and elixir.

With all the changes made in the last day and a half, I'm really looking forward to my next ICC run! Until I joined my current guild, I've never struggled to be among the top dps in any run. I can see I ran with a lot of noobs. As a noob lol. I should have posted a long time ago! You guys are awesome

Oh yeah! Should I use Readiness right after my first rotation or wait until after Kill shot is active and used? I've always waited until it's first use.
    Last edited by Kythn; 2010-08-15 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Added a question