Thread: Mage

Post Mage

First of all, I am not looking for help on how to play my mage. I have been playing the game for a couple of years and think I have a handle on certain mechanics and what not. What seems to be my problem is with gemming and enchants. There are so many websites (including this one) that give you different ways to enchant and gem for best whatever. I have recently relied on RAWR for other characters and needless to say this time I am confused. For instance, the mages headpiece is the 245 badge piece, thinking the extra heast and what not would be better than the 232 badge piece. But according to RAWR, the 232 piece is better by almost 70 points. This is the mage's armory link [wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gul%27dan&cn=Invention and the wow heroes link wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Gul%27dan&name=Invention[/url].

So any constructive criticism that may be out there for ways to improve on the gemming and enchants and even other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Also are they any other pages/sites that are used to maximize gear like RAWR that maybe a little easier to understand .. and suggestion for that as well would be appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because of the set bonus. Rawr takes everything in consideration.

OK .. I forgot about set bonus' ... but could you explain why RAWR has Evoker's Charm (lvl 226, 19 conquest badges) rater higher than Loves Prisoner ( lvl 232, heroic forge of souls drop from Bronjahm)?? No gems or extra bonus for them ??? Comparing the 2, evokers charm has more haste, spirit and stam, but Love's Prisoner tops in spell power and intell (plus 25 mp5) .... do haste and spirit really have that much of an effect on dps ???

10+ Year Old Account
    Begone troll.

no troll here ... just trying to understand

try this. go here > www magegraf com
    (replace spaces with . i cant post links, not enough posts yet)
    then exchange the neck for the other one and see what it says

when i did it, it gave me 4459 with th evokers charm, and 4443 with loves prisoner. not an amazing amount less, i'd say they're pretty equal. i dont claim to know much about mages, but its my understanding that more haste (to a point) is far better than more spellpower. judging your current gear, i'd guess haste will give you more of a dps increase than the extra sp/intell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Begone troll.
    No... you

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alteredhydra View Post
    OK .. I forgot about set bonus' ... but could you explain why RAWR has Evoker's Charm (lvl 226, 19 conquest badges) rater higher than Loves Prisoner ( lvl 232, heroic forge of souls drop from Bronjahm)?? No gems or extra bonus for them ??? Comparing the 2, evokers charm has more haste, spirit and stam, but Love's Prisoner tops in spell power and intell (plus 25 mp5) .... do haste and spirit really have that much of an effect on dps ???
    yes, yes they do. mp5 is a completely wasted itemization stat for a caster DPS.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    yes, yes they do. mp5 is a completely wasted itemization stat for a caster DPS.
    I remember when it wasn't!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nielah View Post
    I remember when it wasn't!
    and i remember having spirit and random resistances on my paladins tier sets...as ret. so i win.
    BfA Beta Time

looking at your armory makes me wanna cry
    you are arcane, thats fine coz of your item level
    arcane needs two things. spellpower and haste
    every other stat is just wasted.
    always use 23 sp, 12sp/10 haste gems or 12sp/10sprit(only if the socket bonus is higher than 5 sp since you dont have 4p t9) and never use nightmare tear as a mage.
    never prefer sp/crit items over sp/haste items.
    u are fuckin hitcapped --> why do u enchant 20 hit on your gloves?--> spellpower
    boots --> stam/speed increase or hit/crit
    mindmender circle--> sp/crit/mp5? --> go and search for an item without crit and mp5
    shoulders --> sp/crit
    back --> haste
    mark of the war prisoner, wth? how much hit do u need as an arcane mage? 210 or so
    int trinket is ok, coz u lack int

edit:
    oh my just saw your spec
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...i,3qJORe,12213
    spec like this, many things wont pushback you but well, i prefer this, u will lose 1% hit in arcane focus but u can change this. you spec 1/2 in arcane potency. its beyond the pale. u spec that because of 5 goddamn points in arcane concentration

hope this will help you to improve yourself
    Last edited by insen; 2010-08-14 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by insen View Post
    arcane needs two things. spellpower and haste
    every other stat is just wasted.
    Please come back and give advice when your knowledge stretches past madness in the subject. Even though the OP is a complete idiot your statements are very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Please come back and give advice when your knowledge stretches past madness in the subject. Even though the OP is a complete idiot your statements are very wrong.
    I thank the previous poster for his insight and opinion, but the tone was not really needed. As for being a complete idiot, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person, thank you
    Last edited by Alteredhydra; 2010-08-14 at 10:41 PM. Reason: missed word

Just read the sticky, how hard can it be ?

Battle of wits, my ass.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Quote Originally Posted by insen View Post
    int trinket is ok, coz u lack int
    That trinket is actually the best thing he can have until he gets Reign of the Dead/Unliving, DFO or Muradins or Twilight Scale. The 600 Spellpower stacked with IV, AP and MI (when he gets the t10) makes it one of the best, if not THE best non-raid arcane trinket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

As for being a complete idiot, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person, thank you
    this is win

i think the simplified version as al the stickies will say is SP and Haste are loads better than anything else. by miles. crit/spirit, crit/mp5 are just itemizations that dont make sense for us. IF you can go up 20 item levels, fine, but generally just get the piece with haste and either spirit or crit with a preference for crit

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, let me spread my knowledge, for I am not unarmed.

I called the OP a troll because the statements in post #3 is beyond idiocy after the response given by me in post #2. Was OP thinking "Hm, so rawr takes everything into consideration huh? Awesome, but how about these two necks, does rawr really take everything into consideration regarding these two items?". No, rawr only takes everything into consideration regarding the badge hood and t9 hood, duh. Honestly, beyond stupid.

About the statement I did about the guy who said everything except haste and sp is worthless for arcane mages (or something along those lines): What? Am I stupid for saying he's wrong? He's stating that hit rating, crit rating, intellect and spirit are wasted stats for arcane mages. Yeah, I'll just let the OP read that, take that advice and miss 8% of his spells, go oom in seconds and have 5% crit. If you say so I will let it slip.

Bye.

int comes on gear in standard quantities(very very very small variation), if he has not yet found missing is bad we might as well be typing gibberish, crit does not need to be sought in gear as it is so abundant in the spec itself. spirit is a stat that is at the bottom of what we look for that is not a complete waste(read mp5), but basically as long as the gear has haste on it for arcane, its probably right.