Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will the imp actually be useful in pvp or...

Will demonsoul be next to worthless for destruction, other than increasing corruption damage (or your almost unused shadow nuke if you use succubus) by a bit? PvP discussion of course.

better not i really hate my imp

Even if they buff the hell out of his HP to make him near unkillable, I still wouldn't use him because then I'd lose spell lock, magic dispel for my team, and a bit of int/spirit

I don't believe the imp will replace the succubus or the felpuppy. Whiplash, dispel, spell lock, and seduction are just too good to pass up. If they change it to fire damage great, if not then demonsoul will be useless to destro pvp.

Should just make the Felhunter flat periodic damage instead of just shadow. Buffs to Immolate and Conflag at that point. Also have Succubus increase Incinerate damage by 10% as well instead of just Shadowbolt.

The imp is just lacking utility.
    A stamina buff while offering some survivibility does not compare to what is offered by the others.
    In a battleground, if you are stood at the back of a turtling group, say like at a chokepoint such as the bridge in AV then sure if you wish use the imp to give those nearby support.
    But it sucks offensively, and won't do much if you are attacked.

I do agree that both the succubus effect, and imp effect (for the above reason) are rather subpar for pvp, and the the succubus effect being rather lacking even in pve.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-08-15 at 03:19 AM.

Well, the imp effect is awesome for pvp, a pretty much garaunteed crit (90% chance with a 30% crit chance) on your next spell is really nice for burst, but the problem is is that it is on the imp. It is also rather subpar for pve since increasing crit chance for 3 spells isn't that fantastic. Both the succubus and the felhunter demon soul's are completely useless for destro which is generally the only two pets used in arena / bgs.

However, Blizzard is still tweaking a ton of stuff in the game, they haven't even gotten around to balancing numbers yet, so I have a feeling they will change the ability. They aren't going to leave the new baseline spell to be completely useless to a spec in pvp and fairly pointless (To the point of barely worth a global) in pve.

Deleted
    12% chance of instant Soul Fire every 1.25 seconds?

Deleted
    Cant believe people are still stuck in todays mindset when talking about Cata's forthcoming changes.

PvP will be massively different. Health pools will be larger with burst being a thing of the past (as the only option). Sustained damage is going to have a new birth and that is what the imp provides.

Because health pools will be larger, fights will last longer and that means that seduces effectiveness diminishes the longer the fight goes on. In addition whilst seducing your Succi cant attack. If your pet even as destro contributes to say 10-20% of your DPS thats a lot of damage that your imp could have done over a sustained time, especially if fights 1v1 last longer than 1 or 2 minutes.

Your pets contribution to your DPS is going to be instrumental in cata. Its going to scale with your stats! Your imp is going to hurt especially when talenting Burning Embers through to Emp Imp. Instant cast Soul fires? Yes please!

Similar can be said of the fel puppy. A spell school lock out isnt going to be as devestating as it is now. Hence why we got Fel Fire, Shadow Priests got Mind Spike and Magi have Frost Fire

Im not saying that using any pet other than imp when Destro is bad but with instant cast pets and soul link base line things will be different. Come Cata, i think the Destro pro will be the one who uses his imp and knows when to pull out another pet from his arsenal in a given situation.

In fact heres a useful macro that will work in Cata;

/castsequence Soul Burn, Summon Felhunter
    /cast [pet:felhunter] Spell Lock
    /cast Soul Link

So in a split second you can silence your target. Maybe even add a mouseover into the macro.
    Last edited by mmoc3983cdae41; 2010-08-15 at 10:32 AM.

Yet with those larger healthpools, the effects of instant soulfires will be less of an impact than you are making out.
    I agree that changing pets more regularly may be a realistic option, but do not try to overstate sustained dps over utility.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Yet with those larger healthpools, the effects of instant soulfires will be less of an impact than you are making out.
    I agree that changing pets more regularly may be a realistic option, but do not try to overstate sustained dps over utility.
    Im not overstating sustained DPS over utility at all. I merely stated that its now an option instead of burst which currently is the game now.

I believe that there is time for utility and there is time for DPS. If im Destro and im sitting DPSing from the back of a group accross no mans land unhindered, then having a pet any other than the imp is a bad choice.

If im in a 1v1 with a mage i think id still be tempted to have the puppy out irregardless, but, i cant guarantee that even till i have played cata and got a feel for all the pets and their standing.

Which is pretty much what I stated in my other post.

Quote Originally Posted by Precarious View Post
    Im not overstating sustained DPS over utility at all. I merely stated that its now an option instead of burst which currently is the game now.

I believe that there is time for utility and there is time for DPS. If im Destro and im sitting DPSing from the back of a group accross no mans land unhindered, then having a pet any other than the imp is a bad choice.

If im in a 1v1 with a mage i think id still be tempted to have the puppy out irregardless, but, i cant guarantee that even till i have played cata and got a feel for all the pets and their standing.
    The key word is 1v1. In a bg situation, more times than not it may be 2 on 1, 3 on 1, etc. I would much rather have additional CC in seduction/whiplash or dispel/spell lock instead of a little more steady dps from my imp. Additionally, more times than not, seduction/whiplash/dispel/spell lock will be more valuable to the team in slowling down a flag carrier, harassing a healer etc. Succubus or Felhunter will provide more of an opportunity to win in a bg than the imp. Maybe your numbers will not be as good, but I prefer winning over big numbers.
    Last edited by Repo123; 2010-08-15 at 09:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Which is pretty much what I stated in my other post.
    Perhaps.

But i came to these forums to add my opinions/insights to the discussion. I hope what i have written has been a good contribution to the original subject and maybe disperse the immediate dismissals (of which there are a lot) of what could otherwise be a a very viable solution to pets in pvp; the imp.

I do agree that with the scaling up of their damage, and their general stats their survivibility should be boosted somewhat.
    Your point was very interesting, just we will have to see how often we could reliably pull that off, being situational not only in the support but in where you can utilise it also.

Well, I did some research and found a bluepost of Ghostcrawler basically stating that Demonsoul will be for PvE and Soulburn will be for pvp. Turns out they also put each other on CD and both use a soul shard.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...eNo=1&sid=2000

Also, we know that Blizzard has stated over and over again that burst will be lower and healing will be lower. But don't overestimate it thinking warlock v anything that doesn't take very long right now will be 1 minute+
    Who's to say your not still going to die in a Shadowfury death coil vs a wizard cleave? Bursty specs (Destro, Ele, Balance, ETC.) have to do higher burst with a lower sustained damage or else they can never kill anything getting healed.

/castsequence Soul Burn, Summon Felhunter
    /cast [pet:felhunter] Spell Lock
    /cast Soul Link

So in a split second you can silence your target. Maybe even add a mouseover into the macro.
    You don't need that [pet:felhunter] part either, /cast spell lock works.
    That macro can't work becuase Summon Felhunter uses a global cooldown, you have to wait a global before your pet can cast, and Soul Link uses a global cooldown.

A handy macro I use for pets is:

/castsequence [nomod] Fel Domination, Summon FelHunter, Soul Link
    /castsequence [mod:shift] Fel Domination, Summon Succubus, Soul Link
    /castsequence [mod:ctrl] Fel Domination, Summon Voidwalker, Sacrifice, Soul Link
    Last edited by Kawakazi; 2010-08-16 at 12:19 AM.

Similar can be said of the fel puppy. A spell school lock out isnt going to be as devestating as it is now. Hence why we got Fel Fire, Shadow Priests got Mind Spike and Magi have Frost Fire.
    People don't just use the felhunter for spell lock. People use the felhunter because it adds another dispelling character to your team, one that is very rarely cced.

While the imp does bring increased damage through the table by buffing the warlock, it's still not good enough to compensate. If the design for Cataclysm PvP is to bring damage down and health up, it won't be a burst game anymore which means that tactical decisions through CC, mana conservation and target switching will be all the more important. If healers can't spam dispel effects without OOMing themselves then we won't be able to spam nuke a healer to kill them either.
    It's mostly due to this new design that the imp will fall through, it's just not a good pet for control. The succubus has her knockback and seduce, the felhunter has devour magic and spell lock and those pets just bring more to the table than the imp.
    Empowered warlock damage through imp crits won't matter if the warlock is CC'd, but the sheer assistance you can give with knockbacks, seduces, dispels or silences while personally incapacitated, is just too good to give up for most people. :/

Instant soul fires are not enough for the imp to become viable. Shield, seduce, knockback, dispel and silence are all too useful to give up. I think we should be campaigning for Felguard to be pvp viable, because Imp is pretty much designed for pve only and Felguard seems to be the one confused on where it is going. It's so dull I don't know why locks will spec Demo in leveling or PVP.
    Last edited by sugarfree; 2010-08-16 at 06:55 AM.

I'm sorry to sound rly noobish but I have a 80 aff/destro lock aff for pvp and destro pve (raid) I'm just wonderin if my chosin spec's are correct for their gvin field, and I'm kinda noobish when it comes to the demon soul soul burn w/e yall are talkin bout lol Idk what that is.....but if anyone can give me some info on a btr spec for pvp/pve pls let me know cuz I'm lookin to last longer in fights (pvp) and get btr dps(raids) right now my gs is 3.7k and I barely hit 3k dps....makes me wanna cry...lol well any intel on the subj. would be most appreciated