Range on ICC bosses

Range with fire-mages is an awesome help on most bosses in ICC, with the Flame Throwing talent.
    But I think a few of them could do without the range, as they are pretty stationary.
    When no scorching is needed with the help of an Afl/Demo Lock, the following bosses could go without the extra range needed.

- Saurfang ,range helps here, so the Blood beasts won't hit you, but normally they go down pretty fast, so the 6 yards extra isn't really needed.
    - Festergut, move to the side for the Malleable Goo, Use Ice Block to avoid the Pungeon Blight, for the rest stand still and nuke, 35 Yards more then enough here.
    - Rotface, debatable this one, you could loose a bit of range when you are at the side of room with the boss in the middle, so no experience on it yet, but will be a matter of good movement.
    - Blood Queen , look for a nice spot in range of the BQ, and you will be allways in range, 35 yards enough here too.

In these cases you could spent the extra 2 points in Student of the Mind 20/51/0, with 5 points in Arcane Concentration, and 3 in SoTM.

With my current gear it would mean about +110 DPS -> (+30% ICC buff)-> +143 DPS. One could argue to put 2 points in MA and 3 in Arcane Concentration, but with good healers you will be fine and you will have less Mana problems. So I am considering to use it as my 2nd of the Dual-talent. Arcane is not needed anymore, maybe for Sindragosa HC, but for all the other bosses Fire shines.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

do you know why we get the ranged talent?

its to guarantee that if we refresh LB wth a fireball in the air, and HS already procced, we have long enough before it lands to launch the pyroblast before HS is overwritten.

This increases your uptime of Living bomb without losing hot streak procs. these 2 factors are the single largest determiners of your overall damage once gear is fairly stable, so range is a dps increase even on stationary fights.
    Last edited by sidphoenix; 2010-08-16 at 11:30 AM.

The extra range is gold on Putricide and on LK HC (If your other dps can handle Raging Spirits).

It is only my personal preference, but extra range is brilliant to have since it means less movement and therefore a higher dmg output.

As it stands, my pve fire specc has both 2/2 flame throwing, and 3/3 student of the mind, so there isn't really much point dropping range for crit. The real question is, burning soul vs flame throwing

im still using burning soul for the pushback protection=100% with conc aura. Real nice for halion, LK, marrow, DW, rotface, princes, BQL.

also for add spawns if you really feel like launching pyros at them when they spawn like me, threat reduc is good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teslaa View Post
    As it stands, my pve fire specc has both 2/2 flame throwing, and 3/3 student of the mind, so there isn't really much point dropping range for crit. The real question is, burning soul vs flame throwing
    student of the mind....sigh.
    BfA Beta Time

If you consider dropping Burning Soul, well - Lets take a look at it:

Pushback is a pain and Burning Soul along with our beloved bubbleboys removes that.
    Threat reduction: Unless you got some exceptionel tanks and 6 rogues and huntads I cannot see why you wouldn't pick it.

Student of the Mind is such a garbage talent. Why do people still take it? Is 60-70 spirit for 3 talent points really worth it to you? (If SotM is giving you more than 70-ish spirit, you're geared wrong.) Put the points in Magic Absorption and Arcane Meditation if you really want the regen; the amount of crit you get is not worth the points.

Don't get me wrong there, I agree with all of you that SotM is'nt a very good talent for Mages nowadays.

I started this thread to discuss the use of SoTM for some bosses in ICC, Saurfang, Festergut, Blood Queen, because no range is needed on them. Also with good healers you can have a free DPS boost, for me it will be around 145 DPS in ICC on that bosses, take it or leave it.
    So the 2 points from MA + 2 points from FT are not necessary on these bosses, put them in SoTM for extra Crit-> DPS.
    If you want to maximize your DPS, you can use this spec as your 2nd of the Dual-talents, Arcane is not needed anymore.

It's funny though, with the ones you have listed, those are all fights that require spreading out and being a decent amount away from each other, especially in heroic mode. I guess if you are talking about 10man it isn't as big of a deal, but for fights like BQ, Festergut, Saurfang, Princes, etc being able to be the one in the back of the pack and still be casting is a pretty big dps boost instead of needing to encroach on the people around you to get in range. /shrug