Thread: Banish

10+ Year Old Account

Banish

Banish used to be a much better spell in W3ft, back before it was introduced to WoW.
    I understand that Banish can only be used on demons and elementals but it wasn't always this way, back in pre-wow; banish could be cast on anything that wasn't immune to spells it could even be cast on yourself, it was so much more useful back then.

Casting banish on yourself renders the caster immune to physical damage but unable to cast spells...that could be quite useful in PvP and PVE.
    I really think bringing the old banish back and introducing it as a new and improved warlock spell would do wonders for locks trying to fight off rogues and warriors it could even be a way to get out of combat when needed to in a PVE/leveling situation, it could be the equivalent to a Paladin's Shield, a mage's invisibility, hunter's feign death(Not so much but in a way) and a rogue's vanish(I think it would definitely make banish a more frequently used spell since we rarely get to Banish anything in raids anymore.)

Yes i do realize that we already have Demonic Teleportation but i do think that a spell like Banish *New* could a nice fun (Isnt that what blizz is going for^^?) addition to the warlock's currant spells, and yes i do realize that such a spell would be overpowered and would make killing a warlock too much of a hassle maybe if it had something like a double cooldown as long as you keep casting it on demons and elementals it's cooldown would remain 0 seconds while when casted at self it automatically changes the cooldown to something more balanced like a 1-3 minute cooldown or maybe you could even burn a shard to empower your banish to giving you the ability to cast it on yourself.

[Banish]*W3FT*:Turns a unit ethereal and slows its movement speed by 50% for 18 seconds(at level 3).Ethereal units cannot attack, but they can cast spells and will take 66% more damage from magic attacks(Obviously we need to get rid of that) and spells.

This is just a fun thought that I wanted to share, i may be wrong about this, or you could always do something fun with ''Enslave Demon''.
    Last edited by Oraj; 2010-08-16 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Certainly the concept of preventing physical attacks, more likely through a disarm mechanism does appeal.
    Every physical damage class has at least one silence or interrupt mechanism, yet few casters get a reliable or in some cases any disarm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I just want something to cast on my self so I can at least get a chance to /rude a rogue before he rips me to shreds.
    This is just an Idea that popped in my head as i was playing Frozen Throne this morning.
    Last edited by Oraj; 2010-08-17 at 07:15 AM. Reason: missing words

So basically you want Banish to become Cyclone.
    I'm leveling a 2nd lock right now, just finished TBC. Gotta say I'm gonna miss TBC's demons. Nothing like grabbing one of the elite demons in an area and just wiping out huge tracks or mobs with it. Or that most of the mobs are not undead and thus fear immune

Banish is perfectly fine. Its as good as the other CC like Polymorph. Although I'd love the cast on your self idea. It could be like vanish or invisibility and lets u survive wipes.

The new Xpac will have soooo many elementals so be happy.

So you want a bubble ?
    While the idea of an effective immunity to all damage does appeal, it is a horrible mechanism which should never be there in the first place as a pvp tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leave Banish alone. It's the only decent PVE CC we have. And seeing as Cataclysm is the elemental expansion we'll actually get to use it
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    Warlocks are hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot to tell that banish makes you take more damage from spells, so that pesky little rogue can cook you alive with posions (dunno how it is spelled correctly), etc. etc. . That version like you say make you immune only from a Warrior, as every other class has atleast one spell damage class. (Rogue - Nature fyi)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allforone View Post
    So basically you want Banish to become Cyclone.
    Not at all, i want it to be something like the spells i mentioned above.

---------- Post added 2010-08-17 at 12:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ravemstr View Post
    Leave Banish alone. It's the only decent PVE CC we have. And seeing as Cataclysm is the elemental expansion we'll actually get to use it
    Well... I didn't really change the CC aspect of it, I was just sharing an idea that i thought would improve the spell.

---------- Post added 2010-08-17 at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xxx230 View Post
    You forgot to tell that banish makes you take more damage from spells, so that pesky little rogue can cook you alive with posions
    i mentioned in my post that it would best to remove the additional magical damage taken part of the spell because it would mess too many things up in PVE.
    Last edited by Oraj; 2010-08-17 at 07:27 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. is it currently possible to Banish yourself while Metamorphed? I know it works on <i>other</i> metamorphed warlocks, but it'd be a hilarious trick to use to bubble yourself!
    Peace through love, understanding and superior firepower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meta will no longer be susceptible to demon-based cc/effects.

R.I.P. YARG

Lorewise, i think our class could have access to some new mechanic that perfectly fills our lore and needs of more cc:
    Possession.
    Something every major demon are capable of, could be a wonderfull idea:
    It could function like Priests MC, but you disappear, and take control of target, but instead of using his abilities, like MC, you continue to use yours, massive damage on target can end it before exp like fear; there can be a problem regarding where our body should spawn when spell ends, but i'll suggest a use for demonic circle...u can cast possession only if u have one in range and you will spawn there if spell ends/u run out of range with possessed body.

I think this should be an interesting and fun mechanic, whyle not unbalanced(MC is here from alot of time)
    just my 2 cents...

What prevents mind control being OP is that the priest is still vulnerable.
    You disappearing would not make that balanced, since you are taking out one member of the opponents for a period of time, and making yourself invulnerable in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    What prevents mind control being OP is that the priest is still vulnerable.
    You disappearing would not make that balanced, since you are taking out one member of the opponents for a period of time, and making yourself invulnerable in the process.
    *Add :

Half the dmg dealt to possessed target will be dealt to the warlock when spell ends…

The more i think about it the more i like

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be an awsome spell to have, but it sure as hell would give blizz a heck of a tough job to balanace and by the time they're though it probably wouldn't be all that awsome anymore.
    Putrefaction you've caused, No need for confession. Now you wish you had a god, To stop your demolition. Crushing the bones of the hundred folds, Swinging the judgement hammer. Man, woman, child no-one is safe The heads of the dead are the banner.

And what is to stop you running away with them ?
    Or simply standing behind someone else.
    A damage duplication is not remotely close to being comparable to the vulnerability of being left without the ability to react defensively or pre-emptively.

Banishing is about removing someone from others around them, about isolation and removal of choices.
    It is not about mind control in any shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And what is to stop you running away with them ?
    Or simply standing behind someone else.
    A damage duplication is not remotely close to being comparable to the vulnerability of being left without the ability to react defensively or pre-emptively.

Banishing is about removing someone from others around them, about isolation and removal of choices.
    It is not about mind control in any shape or form.
    Right, mine is not a speculation on banish concept, as to a new reliable CC for the class. Quiet surely, banish will be a great spell in cata, at least better than it has been in wotlk, and from what we're reading on the net, fear will be worked to accomplish more reliable use in pve, however, possession was a nice idea i got reading some wc book and comics, and i liked to share; surely, is truth that balancing it out would be some work, but it would offer some new mechanic that can be truly be called new and fun, stayn close to the lore and concept of the class.

More, we all know it is not going to happen, so it was just a speculation, i hope to see something similar in the future.

For what Computernerd is concerned about the mechanich proposal, i've stated to link it to a demonic circle, as to have a range from wich u cant go to far from, and probably, a total dmg tranfer would be more balanced...in pvp, teamates should have to make up some decision, they can focus possessed target, to force lock out and hurt him,and then heal, or cc it until spel duration;in pve,lock should be careful to what he does, cause if he calls too much dmg on affected target he will be dead at spel ending; it's a new interesting mechanich, as i see it, to be balanced with duration/cd, but it will end up working quiet differently from MC, as it is different even lorewise, it is nothing psyco or mental, but a soul transfer/body possession, the MC example was just to explain base mechanic of taking another toon in control.

Trying to over complicate it with an unecessary mechanism to make it "balanced".
    There are enough range limited mechanisms which us and others have to work around without adding more.
    Totems and the teleport to name but two.

What we need is fear to be less specifcally countered, and for it to have the option of a cower effect, so making it realistic for PVE.
    The hinted slowing effect possible through a glyph is simply not enough.
    It needs to not be running about, slower or not.