Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Blizzard owns private server creator

So Blizzard won a hefty $88.5 Million Dollar Law Suit against a private server owner and operator. Hmm is it me or did Blizzard just ROFL STOMP this persons life into dust? Unfortunatly i cannot post the link to the story if someone can id apreciate it

Because we need a fourth thread about this topic!

I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

"--Many class changes. You won't like the ones made to your own class but you'll think the changes made to the 9 other classes are all overpowered." - Tigole
    Quote Originally Posted by stormshadow243 View Post
    Garrosh dreams about his father touching him, and Varian has dreams about his dead wife with "Crawling" by Linkin Park blasting in the background on a constant loop.

Blizzard sued them because they were using micro-transactions and besides, if you are going to make a private server then you should know that this is a possibility. A large part of the reward is mandated by law even if you don't ask for it. Keep im mind there there are a lot of private servers so you take your fate into your hands when you make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Epiclurker View Post
    Blizzard sued them because they were using micro-transactions and besides, if you are going to make a private server then you should know that this is a possibility. A large part of the reward is mandated by law even if you don't ask for it. Keep im mind there there are a lot of private servers so you take your fate into your hands when you make one.
    Agreed cause im pretty sure financially this persons life is over due to a stupid mistake, also she didn't pay for her WoW so Blizzard is going to own all her money forever lol

Deleted
    Poor dude

However, imo private servers gets very boring when you've gotten to 80 (that's usually not a problem with x20 xp gain) and got BiS gear...

Did it once to try arcane Mage (wich I found boring lol)

3 million in disgorged profits? Holy fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbic
    Hello and also one greeting to each and all,I play Mage class. Whoa I am freaking wild man. My friend if a huntear when I watch it I alway think about this. What makes a hunter Great. How can he do it. And it will be hard. Ever one else is going to get new spells so wat about the hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electromatt View Post
    ruh roh, sorry i just finished masturbating, cant use english correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Falnus View Post
    Agreed cause im pretty sure financially this persons life is over due to a stupid mistake, also she didn't pay for her WoW so Blizzard is going to own all her money forever lol
    A "stupid mistake"? This wasn't an accident. This was someone systematically stealing someone elses work and selling access to it to make money. That's not a mistake. That's not a "oh whoops" kind of thing. That's an intentional and thought out theft. They got what they deserved.

file for bankruptcy is his best bet to drop most of the charges heh gool ole goverment system

Press in dire situations http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    A "stupid mistake"? This wasn't an accident. This was someone systematically stealing someone elses work and selling access to it to make money. That's not a mistake. That's not a "oh whoops" kind of thing. That's an intentional and thought out theft. They got what they deserved.
    Still not deserved their life ruined.

I hope you guys know that this doesn't really mean anything for the defendant. His life isn't over. There are 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ways out of this. Bankruptcy, just ignoring it, etc etc.

They can't garnish more than a tiny ass percentage of your wages, debtor's prison doesn't exist anymore, and Blizzard didn't expect to win any money from this.

These, for the less intelligent (most) of you, are the same tactics that the RIAA uses, the FBI uses, and DEA uses.

Oh yeah: Buy a bunch of expensive shit, sell it to your friends legally for basically no cost, declare bankruptcy, then get it back from your friends. Crisis avoided, no risk. Anyone who hasn't done or heard of what I just said should really talk to a debt-oriented or divorce attorney. Really shady people with shameless tactics!
    Last edited by strossus001; 2010-08-17 at 06:36 AM.

who are the people paying for all of that junk

makes no sense

Just Blizzard adding to their huge pile of gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by strossus001 View Post
    I hope you guys know that this doesn't really mean anything for the defendant. His life isn't over. There are 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 ways out of this. Bankruptcy, just ignoring it, etc etc.

They can't garnish more than a tiny ass percentage of your wages, debtor's prison doesn't exist anymore, and Blizzard didn't expect to win any money from this.
    I also think blizzard didn't expect to win any money (they already win enough from us to live 5 lives :P ) they just wanted justice, so no more ppl selling blizzard's software, so all gamers pay prepaid cards for blizard :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If Bliz was going after some kid who set up a private server in his house and played on it with him and his friends I would feel very badly for that kid. However this private server seems to be an intentional effort to profit from protected copyrights and trademarks as is shown by the 3 million dollars in revenue, as well as the 20 thousand subscribers, Blizz had every right to sue the pants off of this person, as for whether the awarded damages (88 million dollars) was in excess or not may be debated. However feeling bad that this persons life is ruined should weigh on anybodies minds they made their choices flaunted the law and were punished justly for it, just as I do not feel bad for Mr. Madoff, or people who are busted for a running a meth-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by strossus001 View Post
    Oh yeah: Buy a bunch of expensive shit, sell it to your friends legally for basically no cost, declare bankruptcy, then get it back from your friends. Crisis avoided, no risk. Anyone who hasn't done or heard of what I just said should really talk to a debt-oriented or divorce attorney. Really shady people with shameless tactics!
    You know shit about law.
    I can't understand from the Article that was linked above, but they either suit the 2 guys as citizens, or they sue the Scapegaming company thing itself. In the latter case, the company is supposed to pay up the required sum. The person responsible for the payout and why it was led to that state, is the Manager, or the owner if it was not specified in the manager's contract clauses to be held responsible for company bankrupcy or debt.
    Also, it depends a lot on the type of registration the company has. That company could have either one of two of those registrations. Either...what's called...how to translate it in english.."Single-managed company with limited responsibility", and "Single-managed trader". Now, there is a fair ammount of taxes and large fat sums of deposits you need to put in certain bank accounts for you to be able to establish the first one, so he is most likely to establish the second, as that is nearly free.
    In the case of the longer-named one, in the case of the company becoming indebted like with 80 millions, the only things that can be taken away is company property - things that registered, purchased and owned to and by the company AND the deposits the company's made for its creation.
    In the case of the latter, shorter-named one, EVERYTHING the "Trader" owns , all of his property and posessions are free to take away as payment of the debt.

There is no such crap as selling and declaring anything afterwards. You cannot "sell" a company that is in debt. In order for his friend to buy it, he has to pay out the 80 million the company owns first and only then take over ownership. Nor can be "buy it back" afterwards. The "firm" will be stripped of all it's posessions and legality. It will be just a hollow name with no property to it.
    I own 3 separate firms here and I have lunch with my lawyer and accountant nearly every day so to my regret im pretty familiar with all sorts of company crap, especially all the "tricksy" under-the-table matters.

Company legal law has -nothing- to do with "divorce" as you said....
    Last edited by Xionor; 2010-08-17 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinen View Post
    Yes. He did. When you willingly steal from others, especially on that scale, you get what's coming to you. He knew exactly what he was doing and what the potential ramifications were. Don't want your life ruined? Don't knowingly make terrible decisions to try to steal from multi million dollar companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinen View Post
    People deserve to have their life ruined for less. when you choose to go a dishonest route, you do so on purpose to make other people's life less easy. the price should be no less than having your life ruined, as you have probably ruined others.

I find it amusing how people here are saying that she did not deserve her life ruined, she commited a crime, she got what was deserved. All those images are owned and copyrighted for a reason, people have the intellectual property laws for a reason. You can not blatently take other peoples work and effort and make it for your own gain and expect there to be no recourse.

Anyone who works in any industry/company/field of work or art that has to deal with rights of ownership ip or copyright will accept and understand this to be acceptable. She brought it on herself, hell she made over 3 million from someone elses work/idea.