Thread: frost dps

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Everyone uses a priority if they use a rotation. It's just that when the same priority repeats over and over it's called a rotation. Also, I do use a priority system... diseases > OB > BS/Pest > FS > HB > HoW
    However, there are circumstances where I will completely skip a rime proc due to always being able to use something else. Another is when I have 3 seconds until next OB with 32 rp, using HoW then FS to maybe get a KM proc rather than FS -> KM -> HoW. Circumstances such as these defy the "set rotation" because I choose to put priority in other places.

no, because you're flat wrong phoe

a rotation is a simple pure system based on "do x, do y do z" it's always the same. nothing wrong with that. occasionally you throw something in there to toss it up like a proc, think frost mage.
    when you do move x you make the decision to do y based on the fact that you just did x, not on anything else

a priority list is reactive.
    you just cast x...but that's not enough information.

if i said, "i just cast my 1st obliterate. what do i do next" it's impossible to answer because we don't know enough about the situation. are diseases up? is killing machine up? is rime up? can RT+UBA be cast? do i have free RP? do i have free runes?
    we know what situation you'd like to be in, but we don't know what's going on.

with a rotation it's much simpler. i hearken back to TBC feral druid. i just cast my 2nd Shred.what do i do? you cast shred again. because that's the rotation.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    with a rotation it's much simpler. i hearken back to TBC feral druid. i just cast my 2nd Shred.what do i do? you cast shred again. because that's the rotation.
    I'm pretty sure a feral druid, TBC or otherwise, would be the worst example of a rotation.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2010-08-24 at 01:48 PM.

You will forever be a mediocre player if even when using a 'rotation,' you never change things. What happens when you move away from the boss? Adds? You have to PRIORITISE what move you use in these situations, depending on the circumstances. No rotation is truly static with this in mind. Perhaps Frost is slightly more reactive than some rotations, such as Unholy's - but saying it's a priority list confuses people and it ultimately leads to bad performance.

that's actually an excellent argument phoe

the problem is, now you are agreeing with me.
    now you are saying that everything is a priority list, even rotations.

earlier you were saying it was a rotation.

it's not. it's a priority list, you are simply arguing that rotations are a simplistic version of a priority list. that's a fair assessment.
    however
    if rotations are priority lists and priority lists are priority lists than not all priority lists are rotations. frost dk dps isn't a rotation

as for feral druids. tbc was actually pretty rotational, and boring, and bland..and i stopped playing it for that reason.
    wrath is extremely prioritized.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

No. What you call a "Priority" is just a really long rotation most of the time.

DKs have to reapply diseases eventually(be it with glyph of disease or IT/PS) That will reset your priority.
    You can easily make a macro for your abilities as a dk, just leave out your runic power spells(death coil/frost strike/etc and for frost leave howling blast out too.)

You can go make a list of your GCDs and figure out how long each spell/rune lasts/cools down when you use it, eventually the pattern will repeat. One of the best examples is Hunters. Marksman has a rotation of about 30 seconds, you shift serpent sting into one button with all your instant shots lined up in it, then drop mark shifted into another one that normally fires your steady shot. Anytime the first button is on cooldown you hit the 2nd button.

Feral was harder and more priority based in TBC. With the exception of 3.0 when Faerie Fire still had the 40 sec duration and before the mangle change. Now you have 1 min mangle, 5 min Faerie Fire, glyphs to make rip last longer, tiger fury energy bonus, berserk. The only addition to make it more complicated was savage roar.
    Last edited by The Cat; 2010-08-24 at 03:48 PM.