Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Question What happened to the thing that made spells cost hp instead of mana?

A month ago or more i read all the time on the mainpage about some firemage thing that would make spells cost hp instead of mana when your mana reaches zero. But i haven't heard about that in a while, is it removed? QQ

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, looks like it got canned. Not that it matters... we got something better; talents that let us use no mana at all.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I only know about the talent that makes scorch cost 0 mana, is that the one you are referring to?

Something that costs HP instead of Mana sounds more like a Warlock ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well i read blue posts on the mainpage about firemages having it about 2 months ago but apparently it got removed.

Yeah, think there was a build where pyromaniac (I think) made you consume health instead of mana if you went oom, thankfully it didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiimage View Post
    I only know about the talent that makes scorch cost 0 mana, is that the one you are referring to?
    Also, if you've noticed, using Pyroblast after a Hot Streak proc will no longer use mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a talent. backlash I think it was, when you ran out of mana you could continue casting using your health as mana instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakosa View Post
    Welcome to how the game was always and is supposed to be played. Have fun not being able to be an autistic shit anymore.

yea it got axed quick.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightining View Post
    Also, if you've noticed, using Pyroblast after a Hot Streak proc will no longer use mana.
    Oh yea I saw that one too. 99% of my pyroblasts are casted after Hot Streak so thats basically makes them free

Shadow Word: Death costs mana and HP when used. It's a fun mechanic that can possibly kill you with no justification behind the backlash damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Something that costs HP instead of Mana sounds more like a Warlock ability.
    It went really nice with the name of the talent, as it was called "Burnout" in said preview. Losing HP instead of mana really made it feels like you were burning out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Burnout was a Life Tap without the GCD and would only further homogenize a Destruction Warlock as a Fire Mage with a different set of DoTs. So good riddance!

i think it was intended to work after you run out of mana? usually you have mana to spare and need HP. i dunno, glad this was replaced with cauterize. seems they wanted some spell that causes fire mages to burn

Quote Originally Posted by bantu View Post
    i think it was intended to work after you run out of mana? usually you have mana to spare and need HP. i dunno, glad this was replaced with cauterize. seems they wanted some spell that causes fire mages to burn
    Well, they got rid of "Playing With Fire". Had to get something to placate their desires to watch mages die to their own talents.

That said, it seemed like a cool idea. Unfortunately, being balanced around having your HP bar for mana does not sound like it would a good talent tree make.

Yes it was Burnout and yes it depleted your hp if you ran out of mana. I thought it sounded awesome. I would have loved to seen the animation of your spell casts causing you pain.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    Yes it was Burnout and yes it depleted your hp if you ran out of mana. I thought it sounded awesome. I would have loved to seen the animation of your spell casts causing you pain.
    ^^ my thoughts precisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Looked rubbish, that's what evocate and mana gems are for.

Quote Originally Posted by TerraMagus View Post
    Well, they got rid of "Playing With Fire". Had to get something to placate their desires to watch mages die to their own talents.

That said, it seemed like a cool idea. Unfortunately, being balanced around having your HP bar for mana does not sound like it would a good talent tree make.
    "Well, they got rid of "Playing With Fire". Had to get something to placate their desires to watch mages die to their own talents." Made me lol.

It probably just didn't feel appropriate. Not the warlock-mage homogenization issue, the idea of a mage using health to cast with doesn't fit in with the whole mage idea, at least not to me. They seem to be compensating for it by what has already been mentioned-all the talents that make spells cost no mana.

15+ Year Old Account
    actually, it got canned because they want mana to matter. a fire mage wouldn't give two shits about mana management if he could continue to chain cast if he got heals.
    BfA Beta Time