Some advice for Holy

Heya. I very recently switched to holy, and have had a few problems, and want to appeal to some experienced holy's out there. My problem is a TON of my healing goes to Overhealing (we're talking up to 80% at times). When I'm raiding, I beacon the MT, and holy light the OT. Ocassionally I'll drop some HL's on the raid if I think the OT will survive the next couple of swings w/o a heal, but that's about it. That's 10 mans for me (I have to make sure the other guy can raid heal, because as is, im not the greatest at prioritizing heals to keep both the raid and tank alive). For 25's, depending on the fight, its about the same. On some fights I'll just whip a beacon on the MT and FoL away, but by and large its holy light spam for me. With this style of healing, if a druid pops hots, or a sham chain heals, My heals do very little effective healing. Even when I do FoL span on the raid, my effective healing is fairly low comparatively as my latency isn't the greatest, and i can easily get beat to the punch by a shammy or druid who's on the ball. (either way, about 3k, ive gotten much higher on fights like Marrow where theres a ton of consistent tank damage).

Here's my armory if you need it (I know things need to be enchanted, as I said, very recently switched, so most of the gear was attained in the last few days, yay for lucky roll on solace).

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Tyrrandion

Any advice on how I can get more effective healing and less overhealing? even when ppl aren't dying, i get yelled at because my Healing done (only counts effective) is much lower than most the healers, and even if im above a few, its too low for a pally (as I've been told, at least). Thanks for the help.

I feel the same, I only pug but there's almost nothing for me to heal except on fast hard hitting bosses like Festergut. Other times, I just beacon a tank and heal the raid. Probably a sign of too many healers or healing the wrong things?

Grid+clique=WIN and you're a holy pally you're going to have high over healing that's just the way holy pallys work, i also notice you said you have latency problems you might wanna check out http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html.

Also i believe there is a addon for like instant health for grid or something someone can correct me if i'm wrong.
    Last edited by Bladewind; 2010-08-18 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Forgot a few things

you wont do any less overhealing anyway as a pally, as you have to be casting a heal before the tank even takes dmg, on 1 tank fights i beacon the tank and keep sacred shield up on him and spalsh glyth heals on as many meele as possible, i usually have the same tank all the time for my sacred shields and the other tank gets my beacon.

i use grid and mouseover macros and thats all i use for healing, also its good to keep JoL up as much as possible if you can as it can do alot of healing and adds to extra mana regen.

dont worry about your overhealing at all as its the same for every pally so as long as your not havin many mana problems then your fine.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    What everyone has said before, most fights don't have tanks getting hit hard regularly, and as a result effective healing for a Holy Pally is incredibly low. We're slow healers, it's just the way we are. We can't react like the other healers can to random raid damage, so they will almost always get heals in before our casts go off. Just try and remember that even though we have low effective healing, most if not all of it is the only thing keeping tanks alive, and without it they would easily die.

elovan pally healing is pretty much the most effective healing in the game and by no means are our heals slow they are the fastest in the game which they have to be so the tanks get healed fast enough.

yes alot of the heals are not needed but better to overheal than not to get a heal on a player when they needed it.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

If some RL bashed you then show him this thread.. A lot of people dont understand they way paladins work now adays

The only thing you should care about is, are you running out of mana?
    If not and noone died, then who cares how much overhealing you have done! Your job is mostly to keep the tanks alive and if they are then you are doing fine. If you have spare time to help out on raid healing then great, by all means do it.
    If you are running low on mana however you should either 1) use your pleas more or get more melee swings in to get mana back or 2) cancel som of your holy lights when you see they are going to overheal for alot, og start mixing in a few more FoL on the tanks

As for raid healing, the way healing classes are right now, dont even start to compare yourself to the other classes, you will just be sad.. Stick with what we do best!

10+ Year Old Account
    My tip to you, is know the tide of the fights, you will over heal alot, but it does not mean you need to waste mana. Personally I beacon the pally tank(I always have one) and SS and spam flash the OT until the tanks start taking real damage the start holy light spamming til it dies down again(if it dies down). Useing a Holy light build and stacking pure int allows me to cast Holy light almost nonstop if I have to. Other wise just flash until your big guns are needed, I find it lowers my over healing alot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Switch your libram. get the ilvl 200 one or the pvp one.

Latency is huge. I'm in mostly 251/264 gear. I can solo heal Saurfang but I'm always last on the meters if my guild decided to bring 3 heals to ten man. Druids always beat me on the meters. I have a slow computer, but its fast enough to keep people alive thru most of ICC. But meters don't really matter. Overhealing is wasted mana but its not wasted if the boss is down and everyone is alive at the end. How many dots were on Marrowgar when he went down? thats wasted mana too.

Don't worry, when you get to fights with consistently heavy tank damage such as H LK and H sind your overhealing % will go way down. Basically with how wrath was made if a holy paladin worries about overhealing than one or more of your tanks will almost certainly die.