Red face Single target fire?

So in a lot of the posts I've seen concerning cataclysm fire everyone seems excited about the changes to fire aoe but disappointed in the single target rotation.

Living Bomb, Hot streak, Fireball.

Tonight in my raid I was popping my haste pot and pressed ctrl 4 instead of ctrl 5. And I casted Frostfirebolt. At first I was like "Shit...," but then my inline aura showed up with the dot and I was like "Oh damn!"
    It gave me this idea of fire going to be using frostfire bolt on single target fights just to keep the dot up? I know they took the dot off fireball and frostfire bolt off the baseline abilities but someone recently datamined glyphs in the latest build and found this

Glyph of Frostfire Bolt - Your Frostfire Bolt now deals 10% additional damage over 9 seconds, but no longer reduces the target's movement speed.
    Couple this with our redesigned mastery of flat dot increase...

It's just a thought, feel free to flame

15+ Year Old Account
    FFB had it's DoT in the last build did it not?
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    # Frostfire Bolt now slows the target by 40% (up from 20%) for 9 sec but no longer deals additional Frostfire damage over that duration. Cast time changed to 2.5 sec, down from 3 sec.
    ^ was the last announced change to FFB afaik, but if you're right about the FFB Glyph, maybe it will be viable, if it stays the same. This is still beta and there is still a long way to go until release however so things will definately change.

Yeah the dot is gone unless you glyph for it with the latest build but the glyph isn't implemented yet. I mean the change wouldn't change our rotation terribly but it would make it a little bit more interesting.

Living Bomb, Hot Streak, Frostfire Dot, Fireball (And Flame Orb in there somewhere too )

Plus, we get to use one of our prettiest spells =D. Maybe with the loss of the possibility of an elemental build with the new changes, they decided to get the spell involved in both specs rotations. Seems like a very cool idea to me, but I guess no one else was excited =P.
    Last edited by FriedNublet; 2010-08-18 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Flame Orb

Arcane should be slightly stronger on spank N tank single target encounters. It gives the really good mages the chance to switch between there fire and arcane PVE speccs depending on the next boss. That alows them to show there mastery of the class, mages definately wont be getting bored. If fire is better AOE and single target, then Arcane would turn into the new subtlety tree.

Quote Originally Posted by chrion View Post
    Arcane should be slightly stronger on spank N tank single target encounters. It gives the really good mages the chance to switch between there fire and arcane PVE speccs depending on the next boss. That alows them to show there mastery of the class, mages definately wont be getting bored. If fire is better AOE and single target, then Arcane would turn into the new subtlety tree.
    Arcane still has superior burst damage and I assume it won't change.

About 2 pve specs: most likely arcane and fire will have a different gemming setup, making is harder to build up 2 set of gear if you want to be competitive with both.

And I for one don't want 2 pve specs and I assume many people share the opinion.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    It's hard to keep 2 specs imo.
    Either I gem sp/haste and rock 1450 haste or I gem sp/crit
    and go down to 1200 (still a lot, but you see what I mean) and gain some crit.
    It's what bugs me though, since arcane and fire BiS are not the same, although you'll still do good
    dps in fire bis gear even if you're casting arcane blast.

It wasnt hard for me to have 2 PVE speccs, 2 sets of PVE gear, and a PVP specc with full gear. Hardcore players love more challenge and options I assumed?

Fire will have more AoE damage but Arcane will have more AoE utility via Nether Vortex. Depending on what happens in add fights, Fire may not always be the best choice.

Also, don't forget the Fire rotation might have some Arcane Missiles thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by chrion View Post
    That's like a totally awesome point and all, but I'm simply talking about fire's single target rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    And I for one don't want 2 pve specs and I assume many people share the opinion.
    Even though the thread was a little derailed I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    Fire will have more AoE damage but Arcane will have more AoE utility via Nether Vortex. Depending on what happens in add fights, Fire may not always be the best choice.

Also, don't forget the Fire rotation might have some Arcane Missiles thrown in.
    I'm not sure what nether vortex has to do with aoe but ok...

And fire won't use arcane missiles, if you spec into hot streak you can't even proc arcane missiles.