Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lore, how to start?

So here's the deal, I've played every single Warcraft game since the first one and I got all the basic lore knowledge. I also sporadically read quests and stuff ingame and such. But, I would like to go deeper into the whole lore part of Warcraft. And for this I need tips from you! =)

The ultimate thing would be if I could somehow start from the beginning so to speak. Is this possible? Is there a book/several books or such I can get my hands on to read the entire Warcraft timeline from the beginning? If so where can I find it? I also have a faint memory of some sort of lore page on wow-europe.com but I cant seem to find it anymore =/.

TL;DR - I want to learn Warcraft lore from the start, where do I begin? Any tips you can give is much appriciated.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzume View Post
    So here's the deal, I've played every single Warcraft game since the first one and I got all the basic lore knowledge. I also sporadically read quests and stuff ingame and such. But, I would like to go deeper into the whole lore part of Warcraft. And for this I need tips from you! =)

The ultimate thing would be if I could somehow start from the beginning so to speak. Is this possible? Is there a book/several books or such I can get my hands on to read the entire Warcraft timeline from the beginning? If so where can I find it? I also have a faint memory of some sort of lore page on wow-europe.com but I cant seem to find it anymore =/.

TL;DR - I want to learn Warcraft lore from the start, where do I begin? Any tips you can give is much appriciated.
    The Know Your Lore series on wow.com is a great way to learn a lot about very specific areas/people in the lore. Otherwise, when you hear/read about something, go on wowwiki.com and look it up.

Deleted
    That The Know Your Lore was very interesting :O

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice, find a timeline on wowwiki. Heck, I'll link you one if I can find one after this VoA. What I did was I found the furthest thing back I could find, and just built from there. One of the best things you can do, is anything you see a new term or event, wowwiki it. Just keep clicking links and eventually you'll ahve a very wide knowledge of a variety of topics.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(unofficial)
    Last edited by Kalyyn; 2010-08-18 at 02:48 AM.

the way i learned alot of the lore i know i read one day in school it was lore for dummies or something .. it was really easy to read and extremly informitive i'll try to find a link

---------- Post added 2010-08-18 at 03:24 AM ----------

http://se7en-samurai.blogspot.com/20...r-dummies.html exactly ..wow lore for dummies like i said rofl

I just wowwiki search the cool names I read or hear while here on in game.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

1:Take anything in wow.
    2:For example, http://www.wowwiki.com/Ruins_of_Mathystra
    3:Follow link to sundering
    4:???
    5:Profit!

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Quote Originally Posted by Uzume View Post

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/index.html .... WoW's site has pretty much all you need http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter1.html ..... if you have some time on your hands you can read the whole story

You should definitely read the novels. They're awesome. You can read them in pretty much any order as far as grouping goes, just read the War of the Ancients trilogy first, probably the best and most epic, and it'll get you hyped for the Caverns of Time: War of the Ancients raid in Cataclysm. As long as you know who Krasus (Korialastrasz), Rhonin, Malfurion and Illidan are, you'll totally understand what's going on in the books.

The Well of Eternity -> The Demon Soul -> The Sundering, Day of the Dragon -> Night of the Dragon, The Last Guardian -> Tides of Darkness -> Beyond the Dark Portal, Rise of the Horde -> Lord of the Clans. Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Stormrage), and Of Blood and Honor (Tirion) are all standalones, so you can read them wherever. I haven't read it myself but I've heard Cycle of Hatred sucked.

Actually, you might want to read Day of the Dragon before the War of the Ancients trilogy, and the Night of the Dragon at any point after.

I've looked up quite a bit about lore on WoWWiki, however, I've recently started reading the novels.

I'm gonna be honest with you, they're not well written. Don't go in expecting astounding literature, however, they're very immersing, easy to get into, hard to stop reading. It's all very interesting stuff.

I tend to jump around as far as the books I read since I already know the timeline well, but that fellow up there seems to have a good idea of when to read each book.

My first class was a paladin and I am a sucker for in depth RPGs like FF and Zelda, so I was naturally a lore whore for paladins (and in tern Lordaeron and the Scourge.) The rest of the lore basically came from WoWikiing practically any slightly relavent character I came across while questing and following the people they were connected to. Just as an Example, I was curious why a Forsaken named Leonid served the Argent Dawn, so I Wikied him and found his relationship to Trevor. Then I found that Trevor rescued Calia Menethil, Arthas' sister from the Undercity, then I found that Calia is rumored to be in Theramore right now laying low.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kalyynthefailadin View Post
    My advice, find a timeline on wowwiki. Heck, I'll link you one if I can find one after this VoA. What I did was I found the furthest thing back I could find, and just built from there. One of the best things you can do, is anything you see a new term or event, wowwiki it. Just keep clicking links and eventually you'll ahve a very wide knowledge of a variety of topics.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Timeline_(unofficial)
    Nice one, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Omen321 View Post
    the way i learned alot of the lore i know i read one day in school it was lore for dummies or something .. it was really easy to read and extremly informitive i'll try to find a link

---------- Post added 2010-08-18 at 03:24 AM ----------

http://se7en-samurai.blogspot.com/20...r-dummies.html exactly ..wow lore for dummies like i said rofl
    Thank you =)

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    I just wowwiki search the cool names I read or hear while here on in game.
    Yes thats sort of what I've been doing the last couple of weeks. Problem is you read about one char and then you "spoil" something about something else sort of, I just want it in a more timeline fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by DerpderpHAMMA View Post
    1:Take anything in wow.
    2:For example, http://www.wowwiki.com/Ruins_of_Mathystra
    3:Follow link to sundering
    4:???
    5:Profit!
    Read above! Thanks tho

Quote Originally Posted by Matran View Post
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/index.html .... WoW's site has pretty much all you need http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/chapter1.html ..... if you have some time on your hands you can read the whole story
    Thats what I couldnt find on wow-europe! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alrix View Post
    You should definitely read the novels. They're awesome. You can read them in pretty much any order as far as grouping goes, just read the War of the Ancients trilogy first, probably the best and most epic, and it'll get you hyped for the Caverns of Time: War of the Ancients raid in Cataclysm. As long as you know who Krasus (Korialastrasz), Rhonin, Malfurion and Illidan are, you'll totally understand what's going on in the books.

The Well of Eternity -> The Demon Soul -> The Sundering, Day of the Dragon -> Night of the Dragon, The Last Guardian -> Tides of Darkness -> Beyond the Dark Portal, Rise of the Horde -> Lord of the Clans. Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, Stormrage), and Of Blood and Honor (Tirion) are all standalones, so you can read them wherever. I haven't read it myself but I've heard Cycle of Hatred sucked.

Actually, you might want to read Day of the Dragon before the War of the Ancients trilogy, and the Night of the Dragon at any point after.
    Yes I've been looking into those, I ordered Day of the Dragon and Night of the Dragon to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Civz View Post
    I've looked up quite a bit about lore on WoWWiki, however, I've recently started reading the novels.

I'm gonna be honest with you, they're not well written. Don't go in expecting astounding literature, however, they're very immersing, easy to get into, hard to stop reading. It's all very interesting stuff.

I tend to jump around as far as the books I read since I already know the timeline well, but that fellow up there seems to have a good idea of when to read each book.
    Good to have an opinion on them =)

Thanks for all the replies! Now I got some stuff to pass the time with

ya, Go to wowwiki.com and type in Sargeras, all kinda started with him becoming a Dark Titan. Then read every link u can find for 14+ hours

15+ Year Old Account
    The novels, for sure.

Just a couple things I'd change:

Day of the Dragon before WotA series
    Rise of the Horde before The Last Guardian, then Tides of Darkness -> Beyond the Dark Portal -> Lord of the Clans

Yes I've been looking into those, I ordered Day of the Dragon and Night of the Dragon to start with.
    Those are actually my least favourite Warcraft books but just a tip, some of them may be a little hard to get your hands on, so a little googling here and a little torrenting there and you'll be set. hint, hint, cough, cough.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd work on the novels.

The stuff by Knaak is very hard to stomach, but Jeff Grubb and Christie Golden have done some great things. Rise of the Horde is my favorite WoW novel.

My recommended list. 3 different points to start.

Day of the Dragon
    |
    V
    War of the Ancients Trilogy
    |
    V
    Night of the Dragon
    I
    V
    Stormrage

Rise of the Horde -> Lord of the Clans
    |
    V
    Tides of Darkness
    |
    V
    Beyond the Dark Portal
    |
    V
    Arthas

The Last Guardian
    |
    V
    Cycle of Hatred

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrix View Post

LISTEN TO THIS PERSON. The books really are interesting and good at filling in the holes (sometimes) left by the game(s). My personal favorites are The Last Guardian and Lord of the Clans, and am currently thoroughly enjoying Arthas. They aren't the best written in terms of creativity and originality, but they are quite immersing, without doubt.
    Last edited by Stormtongue; 2010-08-18 at 04:23 AM. Reason: More spelling errors.
    "Love is not something you think about, it is a state in which you dwell."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    The novels, for sure.

Just a couple things I'd change:

Day of the Dragon before WotA series
    Rise of the Horde before The Last Guardian, then Tides of Darkness -> Beyond the Dark Portal -> Lord of the Clans

Those are actually my least favourite Warcraft books but just a tip, some of them may be a little hard to get your hands on, so a little googling here and a little torrenting there and you'll be set. hint, hint, cough, cough.

I actually found them here on a Swedish website where I usually order all my books, and they were suprisingly cheap aswell

They have books, but it has nothing to do with in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

Deleted
    Can you link that site ?

Big fan of the lore atelst wat i have read.