Affliction -- Spirit vs Crit

In all of the forum posts I've read outlining affliction at an ICC raiding level, (EJ, MMO-Champion) they all say that crit rating is valued more highly than spirit, yet when I click the links to take me to the loot rank page on guildox.com, they actually have spirit weighted higher than crit.

I've applied to several guilds recently, and almost all of them have asked me why I'm using the Mag'hari Chieftain's staff (since staves add spirit) over a main hand/off hand (non-spirit) combo.

Can someone please clarify spirit vs crit for me? (No need to include any info regarding spell power and haste... I'm only interested in spirit vs crit).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually very close, I think the answer is that Crit is generally favoured because of Crit rolling on Corruption that often isn't accounted for on sims.

Spirit will always be at around 0.5 to 0.6, just because that's how it converts. Crit seems to hover in that range too. But as the other guy said, I don't think simcrafts account for rolling corruption.

I also wonder about the ICC buff. I'm thinking if it just multiplies the damage after the fact something 200% crit damage would be getting the equivalent of 260% crit damage. That, combined with rolling corruption, would explain why I'm seeing better results with my crit-heavy MH+OH than I expect.

Crit rolling has nothing to do with constant crit gains, only with crit gains that arent there 100% of the fight.
    Crit tends to be very slightly better, though for certain gear sets spirit might win out also.

There's nothing wrong with Maghari for an affli lock.

Deleted
    MH OH will tend to be better, on balance, than 2H of the same iLvl. However, as said, there's nothing wrong with spirit as a tertiary stat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlocomotif View Post
    Crit rolling has nothing to do with constant crit gains, only with crit gains that arent there 100% of the fight.
    Crit tends to be very slightly better, though for certain gear sets spirit might win out also.
    Well there you go, Spirit always wins out (just) on my sims so I did wonder the same.

Let me ask the same question... Spirit vs Crit? Assume I'm NOT rolling corruption (as in, not using Nevermelting Ice Crystal), and also assume a multi-target fight like Heroic Lady Deathwhisper or Heroic Blood Princes.

Then it is my view that spirit would be the better stat, due to a consistent dps increase and the lack of at least on most targets crit rolling.

So, given that... for Affliction, the Sundial of Eternal Dusk is better than the Shadow Silk Spindle? Even asking that question feels completely wrong!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ammo187 View Post
    Sundial of Eternal Dusk or Shadow Silk Spindle?
    Depends on your gear still but crit is a little better then spirit (on my own symc at least) and those OH's have the exact same amount of spirit/crit I would go for Shadow Silk Spindle.

Keep in mind that spirit gets useless in 4.0 (not that it matters since you'll get better gear then), my only reason to get spirit would mean me being a 0/56/15 buffbot.

Makes sense... I'll hope for the Shadow Silk Spindle, but wont pass on the Sundial of Eternal Dusk if it drops.

Still could use a more detailed explanation on Spirit vs Crit for affliction if anyone is able to better explain it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best explanation about this can be found here.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to post a link but somehow it did not get on here.

elitistjerks DOT com SLASH f80 SLASH t48311-simulationcraft_warlocks_3_3_3_numbers

Here you can see everything explained

Where exactly should I look on this page for the spirit vs crit comparisons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Stats will vary in value in relation to others as you gain or loose them. Seems I've passed the point for Affliction at least where Spirit outweighed Crit, and now Crit is worth more. Guess it's one of those things you need to keep an eye on yourself.

Spirit vs Crit is a very gear dependent thing for an affliction warlock. The only way to find out which will give more DPS is to run simcraft or equivilent (I only use Simcraft so unsure about other sim programs/spreadsheets).

For me personally crit is more value than spirit, but not by much. However for spirit to be any chance of being better you MUST have over 95% life tap buff uptime via the glyph, otherwise your loosing out on that extra SP granted by the buff granted.

Just something to consider. If you don't have a habit of keeping it up that much, crit will always be better for you personally, regardless of what a sim spits out.

10+ Year Old Account
    From all the theorycrafting I've read mainly from EJ

Affliction - Hit(to cap)>SP>Haste(somtimes haste matches/passes SP)>Crit>Spirit

Best enchant is Blackmagic on 1hander (very very close to the sp one so its personal pref really burst dps vs sustaned)

15+ Year Old Account
    Predefined website templates are bad. Simcraft yourself, plug those numbers in.

R.I.P. YARG