Thread: demonology dps

Unhappy demonology dps

So my guild has me playing demonology almost all the time now for the raid buff but my dps seems really low. I generally find in icc 25 with the 30 percent buff that I might average somewhere between 9-10k dps on bosses. My gearscore is about 6k atm and I have regular dfo and spyglass for trinkets. Am I just sucking or is this about all I can expect to put out in the raid buff spec?

link your amory

should be pulling like 11 maybe 12k

I pull about that much, any my gear isn't as good as your's.

Go study the Elitistjerks thread bro. Also link your armory.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Check WoL rankings and see what others are doing.

Rotface
    Obviously they're probably better geared than you, but should shouldn't be too far behind them, maybe 3-5k.
    As I am now, you too shall be. Prepare, therefore, to follow me. -- Scottish tombstone epitaph

Deleted
    You can expect... To pull about the same as other locks overall, tbh. Maybe a tad lower if you're going for raid dps over personal. Sure, affli scales a little better and destro has better burst, but demo has the best cooldowns. My question to you is: What do you pull in other specs?

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you track decimation procs? Molten core procs? Do you maximize the procs you do get? Hows your reaction time? What about your uptime on Corruption and Immolate? Do you meta on cooldown, or save it? Do you have Demonic Empowerment macro'd to your spells? Is your pet on full attack mode all the time? Do you have intercept turned off so he doesn't run around like a retarded chicken on multi-mob fights? Do you know how to fish for decimation procs on multi mob fights? What potions/flasks do you use? Do you always remember your spellstone?

Things to think about as you press your buttons.

R.I.P. YARG

My armory link cant be posted due to a forum restriction but my toon is rasmorace on blackrock. I do have demonic empowerment macroed and pet is usually on defensive mode. Ill try turning off intercept and see if that helps. When I was destruction I was probably averaging between 11k -12k on a boss. I use the mod buff enough so I know my flasks and spellstones etc are always up. I do track my procs usually with either timer buttons or with power auras so I would think my uptime on corruption and immolate would be close to 100 percent. I try and proc meta close to the start and also use it again when boss hits 35 percent and we blood lust so it is possible that on certain fights I might miss out on a metamorphosis but I figure its better to do it when we are lusted and Im spamming my soulfires. I essentially figured out how to play the spec by watching opteks video. I assume I would fish for molten core procs by putting corruption on adds? I can give that a try and see if that helps because it really doesnt seem to proc very frequently.

I also sit at 10k dps but my gs is 5.4-5.5.

So adding to what Gherkin said to look for, don't put just corruption on adds, but make sure to try and snipe an SB or Inc sub-35% on the mob to get decimation proc'd. Then back to boss, corr and immo still up and soul fire spam til decimation wears off. Also, when boss is below 35% and if you're the only one bringing the debuff, make sure to keep Imp Shadow Bolt debuff up.

The other guys can, and probably will, correct me here, but I don't gem for the set bonuses. It works for me and my dps is still often up the top (pug 10/25's as my guild only has one 25 team). Bringing the Dem Pact buff you want as much SP as possible, and a +23 sp gem is more than the benefit gained from +12sp/10haste + 5-7sp. Only in the head slot and hands (only other blue slot I have for a +sp bonus) do I gem sp/spi for the +9 set bonus and meta activation. Again, I may need to be corrected on blue slots whether to gem +23sp or 12sp/10spi.

And I believe the general consensus is to Meta on CD.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Migage; 2010-08-21 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Corr and Immo still on boss

Deleted
    No, meta when it's most beneficial. If the boss is at 40% on a 4 minute fight, it makes sense to wait until 35% with the meta, because you're not going to get another and the decimation amplifies your damage boost. Same for heroism, know when your RL is going to call for it. Addons like timetodie can be helpful here, if you use them wisely.

For purified, remember that improved fel armor and life tap is 39 + 20 = 59%. Add kings to that and you'll end up with more than 60% of your spirit as spellpower, with a tad more for humans ofc. So it's worth taking a 5 or 7 sp socket with a red and blue gem as long as you know you'll be getting kings or drums (and I keep drums in my bags for 10mans). And reckless gems are worth it most of the time as well. The raid dps lost is minuscule when you factor in the socket bonus, and it doesn't make sense to gem pure spellpower when your personal dps increase outweighs the general raid. I think warlocomotif made a great post on the subject, let's see if I can find it somewhere.

Swiping adds with sbolt for decimation procs is great, especially on fights like saurfang, lady d and marrowgar. Grab tidyplates, it has an option to show what percentage all adds are as long as enemy health bars are turned on. (also, the threatplates addition to tidyplates is my new favourite addon, try it out)

Thanks for the help everyone, I managed to hit 12.7k dps on saurfang heroic yesterday and I think Ive also uncovered my issue via wws logs. my corruption uptime sucks, so Im going to try clipping corruption before I switch to adds to ensure it doesnt fall off and see if that helps.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmorace View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone, I managed to hit 12.7k dps on saurfang heroic yesterday and I think Ive also uncovered my issue via wws logs. my corruption uptime sucks, so Im going to try clipping corruption before I switch to adds to ensure it doesnt fall off and see if that helps.
    I really doubt that's the answer for saurfang, you do not want to clip dots as demo. In affliction making sure corruption stays up is king, but demo only uses corruption for MC procs and they only get deadly in decimation, however clipping is hardly ever worth it. Also, in regards to gemming, you're looking for maximum SP as demo in a 25 man (assuming you have the highest sp) and if you aren't the DP bitch, switch to affliction or even destro, as they are both higher than demo.

I am the dp bitch, I was quite happy as destro for the longest time... sigh.

I have not raided in about 2 months, maybe more now, but regardless my average DPS was around 12-13k.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Razielpwns

Now my gear may be better, but the main thing I find aside from gemming every gem slot in accordance to color, is having complete control of a fight. Know what exactly you are doing before you do it. I believe it was mentioned, but on fights with 2+ mobs, snipe them when low for decimation procs, and when you HAVE to move, make sure to use corruption on anything possible.

Another big help for me is little tricks warlocks in general can use. For example on LK, during the phase transition, I have a portal preset to face away from LK on the edge of the surface. As the entire raid moves to get out of remorseless winter, I continue to nuke until the LAST second, then port away, diminishing my downtime.

Meta should on just about every single fight be used off the bat, then judge when best to use again (normally sub 35% or BL)

Other than that I think that was everything I used to do when I raided, PA is your best friend. Hope this helped.

EDIT: Trash those pants ASAP, get the sanc gloves and make the 264 pants. Haste from what I have found is aside from SP, our number 1 stat. Having the tier pants (worst piece of the set imo) gives up quite the amount of it.
    Last edited by Rezhial; 2010-08-26 at 08:34 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be demo, but now im destro. The reason for the switch was becuz we got another demo lock in the guild. My dps as destro is a good amount higher than it was demo and i play both very well. I am still destro and enjoying the quick hitting spells and low cast times so i can attack on the move. I played destro in BC and for most of BC, but went to demo when wrath came out. Now that im destro i dont kno if ill ever go back to demo, i enjoy destro alot more and putting up really nice numbers with it. Demo just feels slow anymore with the long cast times. And id rather have a pet launch fireballs instead of a pet hitting someone with an axe. Cant wait for cataclysm, destro is looking sick so far.