Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tezmata View Post
    Besides this, when have priests EVER used shields in any bit of history, myth, or lore before?
    Anywhere outside of WoW. Because Priests wear heavy leather, or mail, and are usually called "Clerics".

Those blessed carrying out the will of the heavens, on their religious pilgrimages or simply tending to those in need in the calling of their faith. Paladins are Crusaders, there is a difference. :P

Edit: Infact, Blizzard specifically stated during the press release for the original concept of WoW that their "Cleric" was going to wear cloth and be a caster, to be different from what's been done before.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

To bee fair tho, only resto/ele shamans and holy palas use spell shields, while all priests, warlocks, mages, resto and balance druids all fight for the few off-hands there is, and palas and shamans can still use off-hands...

Priests shouldn't have shields... there is no point for them to have them. Priests are more closely related to a mage or a warlock, so why would priests be different? Ur argument makes as much sense as a druid having a shield...

a shield-wearing clothie would just look redonkulous
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Your are priest, not a cleric. no shields

i don't think it's a dumb idea

i do think it's a radical class philosophy change that will never ever happen

Spell shields are even harder to get than offhands (which is one of the main reasons you see pallies and shamans using offhands). If you can't get a good offhand, use a staff and be grateful that you're not a paladin.

Everything is balanced as it is. You don't need more armor in PvE. You have Fade to drop aggro, which shamans and paladins don't. You have PW: Shield. You have fear. The reason priests have these is because we are squishy. Druids compensate with roots, barkskin and the ability to go bear form.

Besides, if priests were to gain a new equipment type, the more logical choice would be 1-handed swords.

Edit: Forgot to add that it would be stupid for shadow priests to have 15% damage reduction AND a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by exquisite View Post
    Spell shields are even harder to get than offhands (which is one of the main reasons you see pallies and shamans using offhands).
    While this is true, now, the Paladin BiS included an mp5 offhand from Sunwell, not the shield.

Regarding Priests getting swords? Meh. Original Clerics couldn't have any bladed weapons. But then you have Shadow Priests having access to not only all caster cloth (stupid bloody frakking Twisted Faith grumble grumble), but then all caster weapons, too.

Edit: Forgot to add that it would be stupid for shadow priests to have 15% damage reduction AND a shield.
    And yes, I can agree with this.

You do have a shield, it's called Inner Fire.

Talented Inner Fire gives something like 5k armor, which is slightly less than a modern day shield iirc.

I do realize you're arguing from an aesthetic/rp pov, but this isn't D&D and Priests aren't Clerics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    You do have a shield, it's called Inner Fire.

Talented Inner Fire gives something like 5k armor, which is slightly less than a modern day shield iirc.

I do realize you're arguing from an aesthetic/rp pov, but this isn't D&D and Priests aren't Clerics.
    Icecrown Glacial Wall
    Heroic
    Binds when picked up
    Off Hand Shield
    9262 Armor
    259 Block
    +102 Strength
    +141 Stamina
    Red Socket
    Socket Bonus: +6 Stamina
    Durability 120 / 120
    Requires Level 80
    Item Level 277
    Equip: Increases defense rating by 54 (10.98 @ L80).
    Equip: Increases your parry rating by 46 (1.02% @ L80).
    Equip: Increases the block value of your shield by 168.

Nearly double the armor is not "slightly"

Inner Fire is also retooled to increase armor of cloth items by 90%, not to mention higher armor budget on cloth items to begin with. The gap between armor-wearing classes is getting shrunk by a sizable margin. It'll still be a difference, but a smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Anywhere outside of WoW. Because Priests wear heavy leather, or mail, and are usually called "Clerics".

Those blessed carrying out the will of the heavens, on their religious pilgrimages or simply tending to those in need in the calling of their faith. Paladins are Crusaders, there is a difference. :P

Edit: Infact, Blizzard specifically stated during the press release for the original concept of WoW that their "Cleric" was going to wear cloth and be a caster, to be different from what's been done before.
    Priests have been in many games and are different from clerics. The reason they likely changed the name is that they realized their notion of a cleric was actually more in line with a priest. As you pointed out, clerics rarely wear cloth and don't even always have shields. Clerics are more like battle-priests.

Deleted
    Giving Priests actual physical shields to wield is a terrible idea. It would require counter-balance, and to be honest, I'm already getting out-rolled by Paladins on everything I want! Be happy with your LDW offhand or go and hit BPC around a bit for one.

Scryus.