Poll: Loving it?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Age of Empires Online

For those that hasn't heard yet, Microsoft is currently developing a fourth installation of the series.

The game will be slightly different from its predecessors in several ways.

First of all, it can only be played online. Even when you're offline, your town/city/metropolis will keep spawning units and gather resources. You can create alliances and wage wars against other players.

The graphics are different too. Looks like cel shading.

The trailer can be seen on the website.
    http://www.ageofempiresonline.com/

What do you guys think?

Excuse my engrish.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

MMORTS, this sounds creative and fun! No im not using sarcasm, its actually something ive been wanting to see for a while, an rts that lets you spawn/gather 24/7 on a huge map, my only concern is what if somebody destroys everything you have, how do you start over?
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2010-08-20 at 04:01 AM.

No idea, they haven't given us much info yet. Hopefully it won't be too painful if your city that you've been expanding for 2 weeks gets destroyed in 15 minutes.

Also, there will be several civilizations to choose from when you begin. Although Greeks is the only one that's been announced this far.
    You die.
    You are dead.

...it looks like a children's version of the game. Graphics-wise, I mean.

MMORTS ? We already have that. It's called MULTIPLAYER.

age of empires is great!!

...although, i can't play it on my system..
    linux ubuntu 9.10..... :/

The original Age of Empires was the second game I ever played online way back in the 1997, loved the hell out of it. So this looks neato!

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    ...it looks like a children's version of the game. Graphics-wise, I mean.
    Well, I guess they are trying something new, and at the same time, going back.

Right off the bat you can spot the hoplites, and all kinds of greek technology you'd find in the first game. Since all the other Age of Empires were serious (or let's say for the most part, realistic), and i guess it's time to go with cartoony visuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Deleted
    I didnt know about this, Thanks. Will have to check it out a bit more I love Age Of Empires.

Too bad Ensemble Studios wont be involved. AoE 2 is one of my favorite games

I was sorely disappointed by AoE 3 so I'm not sure about this. I loved AoE 2 and played it online a lot. Not so sure now.

Way too cartoon-ish. Im not feeling it.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by orc grunt View Post
    Too bad Ensemble Studios wont be involved. AoE 2 is one of my favorite games
    If MSN Zone did not remove their section for AOE2, I would still be playing that game online to this date. lol I am unable to find another website where people can play it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag7 View Post
    MMORTS ? We already have that. It's called MULTIPLAYER.
    MORTS =/= MMORTS

Anyway, this game looks awesome, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    If MSN Zone did not remove their section for AOE2, I would still be playing that game online to this date. lol I am unable to find another website where people can play it online.
    There are.. those who dwell in the mountains.

Bullshit aside though, try downloading GameRanger. Lots of AoE2 servers there.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Shocking as it might be to some people, having cartoon graphics or cel-shaded graphics doesn't make it a "kiddie" game.

Anyway, if this is a constant online game I'm just wondering how it will ever end? Plus I can only imagine the lag with however many hundreds or thousands of people per server and what will add up to being hundreds of thousands or millions or units.

Bloodsail Admiral Overmind the 3rd's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the combined weight of the disappointment of AoE3 and this new art direction, I doubt I'll be giving this one a chance.
    Serve the hive
    Feel the groove
    I control
    The way you move

TO THE TOP WITH YE!

We're giving away beta keys for the closed beta: http://www.curse.com/articles/other-en-news/945308.aspx

No NDA either, so feel free to discuss the closed beta here.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    AWESOME! ive been dreaming for a new game of this RTS series thats polished and new! im so excited, im definitely getting this one despite not getting Age of Empires 3.

Edit - wow I can already tell this is going to crash and burn. it looks WAY to cartoonish for me, not only that but the trailer makes the game look horrible so im guessing it will be. usaully trailers like these are showing epic battles, big empires falling or burning, yet this just portrays a peaceful small town in the desert with a few workers. pathetic, if you ask me.

Like badpaladin said, it looks like a childrens version. everything about it, the website features, the trailer itself just looks dumbed down to a certain extent.
    Last edited by Gat; 2011-04-19 at 04:52 PM.
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gat View Post
    AWESOME! ive been dreaming for a new game of this RTS series thats polished and new! im so excited, im definitely getting this one despite not getting Age of Empires 3.

Edit - wow I can already tell this is going to crash and burn. it looks WAY to cartoonish for me, not only that but the trailer makes the game look horrible so im guessing it will be. usaully trailers like these are showing epic battles, big empires falling or burning, yet this just portrays a peaceful small town in the desert with a few workers. pathetic, if you ask me.
    I'd give the beta a try, you never know. I like it so far, though I admittedly haven't had a chance to do any PvP yet.