Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by halpfultroll View Post
    Death metal is alright for me, never was a fan or growling or screaming though. Screamo is a definite dislike to me.
    You do realize that a big part of death metal is growling vocals, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love Death Metal everything about it just gets me so freaking pumped!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XSgX...eature=related Amon Amarth(so many people label this as viking metal which meh w/e its basically just symphonic death metal about vikings!)

Then you have stuff like this that i absolutely love as well that just gets me so freaking pumped! I love a lot of the electronic type musics, EBM, Industrial, darkcore, trance, techno etc etc. With things like EBM and Industrial being my favorite genre's since they blend elements of death/black metal and trance/techno/dance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1_V...eature=related Turmion Katilot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUmw2ITaFA Deathstars
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9SCAh5ZdQ Ruoska (anyone who likes Rammstien will probably love these guys.)

Also, love folk metal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8WGig0MLU Eluveitie
    Last edited by Aisriyth; 2010-08-26 at 05:03 PM.

Retarded topic... what is it that you find appealing in the music you listen to, and why does it matter? I like the lyrics and the scream in specific, 1000 times better than "yo I have 30 cars and I grew up in the hood and my dad got shot when i was 5 but it's 'k because I have 30 cars and lots o' bitches".

Also, have some real screamo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z66B7R2VEdA
    Last edited by Glokkpod; 2010-08-26 at 05:41 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll provide my explanation by way of examples:

Opeth, Ghost of Perdition - The entire album is a story. It's worth listening to, or even reading. So I won't spoil it. This particular song swings from typical Death Metal all-out-rawr, to melodic music with clean vocals, all in an effort to emphasize different emotions. Opeth is one of the best in the industry.

Fear Factory, Fear Campaign - Not a Death or Screamo band. However, this band has been influencing Death Metal bands since the early 90's, and continues to do so today. Byron swings from clean to scream to growl vocals as a means of emphasizing emotion, intent and level of aggression. You couldn't do this band's music with purely clean vocals. They wouldn't carry the same weight.

Death, Lack of Comprehension - One of the best songs by the band that really did start the entire Death Metal genre. Sure, a few other bands "kinda" came first, but this band perfected the machine we know and love today. One of the first things I can point out, using this video, is that Death Metal incorporates a rather extreme level of instrumental prowess. Any band claiming to be Death Metal which just strums out basic rhythms and never really seems to excel in their playing is Grindcore or some other genre (see: Kataklysm). Note that just because the singer chooses to growl instead of scream or sing clean does NOT mean that band is Death Metal (and for the record, Napalm Death and Entombed, to some extent, started that genre)

Carcass, Incarnated Solvent Abuse - This song highlights one of the other strong points of most great metal bands and that is the intricate, oft complex and/or hard to sing, lyrics. Carcass loved to write their music using medical terms and the singer was known to tour with medical training manuals and references to facilitate this purpose.

And before anyone says anything, no there aren't just men in metal. The song above was expertly covered by Arch Enemy. Not coincidentally, the lead guitarist for both versions of the song is the same. Michael Amott, who played in both bands. The singer, Angela Gossow, could school most male singers in the genre. In fact, her vocals (at least on albums) are some of the crispest Death Metal vocals in the industry.

Meshuggah, one of the most underrated bands in metal today, is a shining example of non-traditional music structures in rock, let alone Metal/Death Metal. They play in polymeter almost exclusively with bizarre time shifts and rhythmic patterns that often leave their live audiences standing, gaping in awe. Here is a less monotonous example of their musical prowess. These guys influence a tremendous number of new and emerging metal bands, in and out of the Death genre.

Necrophagist and Obscura are both great examples of technically advanced melodic Death Metal. Anyone who consideres his or herself a musician or a student of music in any form should be able to watch either of these bands play live. Don't like the vocal style? Simply watch your instrument of choice and... try to keep up.

Cannibal Corpse, Frantic Disembowelment - Still the best example I can give of musical prowess in metal that I can think of to show those who don't like metal. This song does have vocals on the album. This version was recorded sans vocals.

I'm a guitarist. I have been since 1989. The longer I've played, the more I get into heavier bands. This has a lot to do with pushing myself further musically. The better I get, the more challenging music I look for.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like more easy death/black/power metal. sabaton, hammerfall, raubtier etc.

not so into growl..
    Last edited by Xeraluin; 2010-08-27 at 11:39 AM.

honor... no matter how dire the situation is, never forsake it!
    top 3 bands of all time:
    1. depeche mode
    2. pet shop boys
    3. new order

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hammerfall is POWER metal, not death metal and certainly not black metal. Pretty big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraluin View Post
    i like more easy death/black/power metal. sabaton, hammerfall, raubtier etc.

not so into growl..
    I love Sabaton especially Ghost Division.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisriyth View Post
    I love Sabaton especially Ghost Division.
    indeed, metal machine is also brilliant.

honor... no matter how dire the situation is, never forsake it!
    top 3 bands of all time:
    1. depeche mode
    2. pet shop boys
    3. new order

because at the ripe age of 17 i discovered that punching my self in the head to dillinger escape plan's first album feels really fuckin good. so. good.
    Last edited by Cute Chen; 2010-08-28 at 06:04 PM. Reason: their new album sucks

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    What do you like about the music you like? I can't really explain it.

When I hear Famine screaming in a song like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSUQYzqXZ0

I feel good. He sounds purely demented and evil and it pleases me.

I think people created it to get a certain message/feel across. For example, if you write a song about all the death and evil that exists in this world and you want that message to come across as such, are you gonna play some barbie candy pop crap? hell no, you want something that make the listener have a "FUCK YEA LETS GET UP AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT" type of reaction.

Just look at any live Band/artist perform, in pop/hiphop/anything non metal, they just stand around in the crowd maybe moving around/bobbing their heads and tapping their feet a little bit. But at a metal shows the place is full of energy/mosh pits and you feel like your unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy Wolf View Post
    if you write a song about all the death and evil that exists in this world and you want that message to come across as such, are you gonna play some barbie candy pop crap?
    Here is a pop song about death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIi_X1SotU
    I love your avatar.

I think songs about death and bad things in the dark work the best when they're in the form of children's lullabies.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    I think songs about death and bad things in the dark work the best when they're in the form of children's lullabies.
    It's all about contrast =] you're my new friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPL3H06V_wo

Hm, come to think of it... don't think there's much difference from their normal work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-1rFWEn2Ts
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2010-08-30 at 07:39 AM.

That made me think of Dirty Granny Tales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7pi8SPnAqc

As for the lullabies still, I think it adds to the effect if you have a little girl singing. Gives it that innocent touch.

PS. Think we're derailing this.
    Last edited by Keoren; 2010-08-30 at 05:22 PM.

Eugene Robinson of Oxbow wrote, "German fairytales are the functional equivalent of molesting children before sending them off to fitful and irreparable sleep. This song is drawn from such a fairytale. The lyric follows.

My mother she butchered me,
    My father he ate me,
    My little sister Ann Marie,
    She gathered up the bones of me,
    And tied them in a silken cloth,
    To lay under the juniper
    Tweet twee, what a pretty bird am I!

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Grindcore.

Daughters

The Blood Brothers

this thread needs some proper death metal.

Incantation - golgotha
    autopsy - charred remains
    death - leprosy
    decapitated - winds of creation
    cancer - blood bath
    qft
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory