Cataclysm profession dilemma

I picked up engineering late in Wrath on my mage when the mats were cheap to powerlevel it, but I am having second thoughts on it for Cataclysm with the metal prices being greatly inflated the first few days, as gold does not come easily to me. Should I drop it for a self-sustaining profession such as enchanting or get a gathering profession? My other profession is tailoring BTW.

Level an alt with mining do some dailys gold isn't all that hard to come by..and it would be a HUGE waste to drop engineering now after power leveling it
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Keep it, cata brings some great looking additions to our repertoire. Power through mining on an alt to get your mats.

Seriously the stuff for engineering right now is looking pretty powerful. If anything pick up mining on an alt its a no brainer to level just takes a bit of time, and since you dont need the mats you can make money selling the crap you get leveling it.
    Mixelphlick 80 Gnome mage
    Beetstick 80 Gnome deathknight

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just avoid leveling engi early in cata. I will only level it if the mats needed drops, or perhaps I'll even sell the mats since they will go for a high price

Quote Originally Posted by Lichbourne View Post
    I picked up engineering late in Wrath on my mage when the mats were cheap to powerlevel it, but I am having second thoughts on it for Cataclysm with the metal prices being greatly inflated the first few days, as gold does not come easily to me. Should I drop it for a self-sustaining profession such as enchanting or get a gathering profession? My other profession is tailoring BTW.
    I felt a similar dilemma about leveling my JC in cata. Do I buy the mats, or do I drop Tailoring for mining? I made my decision fairly quickly. Once the expansion release nears, I'll compile a list of the items necessary to level tailoring from 1-450 (which really just means I'll steal the one from WoW professions), and once that is complete, replace tailoring with mining. Following that method, I'll not only save myself what will likely amount to a small fortune on the mats, but also get a source of income from whatever spare mats I accumulate along the way.

As a bonus, with all the cata cloth drops I'll no doubt get, powerleveling tailoring will be that much easier.

Do what I did for wrath and will do for cata. Make friends.... granted im not Engineering, (Tailoring/chanting), but my materials can carry a HUGE price tag as well early in the expac (Abyss Crystal for 500g anyone??). Work with a group of friends that have farming professions that can help you, if you know any miners make deals with them giving them what you craft or other shit (like, make a mechano hog and give it to the person who helps you or something). I usually just have everyone give me cloth and green items so I give them back entry level epics and free enchants (since i just put them all on vellums my now scribe friend makes for me!). Oh, and if you are good it gets done fast (lost out by 10 mins to server first max chanter...ill get it this time around)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeldeth View Post
    granted im not Engineering, (Tailoring/chanting)
    So you sew and sing. What do sing sing when you sew?

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    So you sew and sing. What do sing sing when you sew?
    It depends on what I am sewing, as it can stem from a lament of battles lost to a simple warble of simple pleasures!