Night Elf Origin - Suggestion

Taz'dingo. Heads-up warning, this post will probably be long. I'll put the TL;DR up here for you lazy guys, but if you want to discuss it, please read the whole post.
    Also, this is mainly thought of as a suggestion as to how the various beliefs, namely those of Trolls and of Night Elves, could fit together. It was not created based on anything, but simply because it would work as a missing link between both theories.
    TL;DR: Dark Trolls were transformed by Well of Eternity into new beings. These beings were able to see Elune in her original form[Night Elven form] and started revering her.
    They then tried to turn into Elunes likeness, succeeded by using the powers of the Well of Eternity and effectively became the first Night Elves.

Okay, let's start the long part then.
    Troll and Night Elf theories:
    In the Trolls belief, the Night Elves were created from Dark Trolls. After the war with the Aqir, a group of Dark Trolls pioneered towards the Well of Eternity and, according to lore, were turned into "beings of immense power". The Trolls belief that these beings were the first Night Elves.
    They consider skin color, the fact that they have about the same height, build and similar ears, as proof, that this theory is correct.
    It is supported by the statement, that Night Elves have their origin in a species of "a primitive tribe of nocturnal humanoids"; though it is not clear whether Dark Trolls were actually nocturnal, the other 3 parts of the description would fit them.

In the Night Elven belief, their origin is not linked to the Trolls. They are convinced that they were either created from Elunes offspring or by Elune herself, similar to how Christians believe that God created man.
    Proof, in their eyes, are the similarities between Elune and the Night Elves. They look pretty much identical and Night Elves also share the non-animal parts of Dryads and Keepers of the Grove.

Missing link:
    As there was no evidence for either theory, I thought that maybe both could be right. Hence I was looking for a missing link that would be able to connect both theories and, by chance, found it recently. Keep in mind though, this is only something that could work, there's no evidence behind it and it hasn't been mentioned in the lore either. I may not be the first one to have come up with this, but I doubt there've been more than a handful.
    If you've read the TL;DR already, you know what I'm heading for, but let me state it again: I'm talking about ascendation.
    My theory connects both versions, namely in the sense that it were originally Dark Trolls, who got transformed by the Well of Eternity and thus came to power. This part is proven in lore.
    Because of the power they gained, they were able to catch glimpses of Elune, similar to how Paladins see the Light, Shamans can see Spirits and the like. When they saw Elune, they considered her a goddess and started revering her.
    After years of praying, using the powers of the Well of Eternity, they were able to ascend and achieve the physical form of their god, Elune.

There were two things that actually made me think of this:
    a) Twilight Ascendants. http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...ascendants.jpg
    From what I think, they were members of the Twilight's Hammer clan who managed to achieve enough power to actually transform into Elementals. [Though it does not look like one of the better transformations, but oh well...]
    b) Shadow Ascendants. http://www.wowwiki.com/Shadow_ascendant
    The Shadow Ascendants are Forsaken who managed to leave their undead bodies behind and transform into living shadows.

Well then, that's my suggestion for the Night Elven origin. Please feel free to discuss this as you like, new suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks for reading, and may King Rastakhan feed on your bones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    similar to how Christians believe that God created man.
    Flame thread inc.

OT: Nice theory, but I'd have to go with the all-mighty and infallible "Old Gods did it" approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
    Flame thread inc.

OT: Nice theory, but I'd have to go with the all-mighty and infallible "Old Gods did it" approach.
    Believe me when I say that I was seriously tempted to poke some fun at Christianity when I wrote this, but, alas, that's something that's appropriate for the 4th to 5th post in a thread, not the first one. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    This is what i beleive basicaly, trolls evolved into night elves via well of eternity. No one knows for sure though, blizz left no clues

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side View Post
    This is what i beleive basicaly, trolls evolved into night elves via well of eternity. No one knows for sure though, blizz left no clues
    Admit it, you only use the search-function and are searching for "Old Gods" among all recent posts to determine what thread you're gonna visit! We got you now!

Btw: Can someone teach me how to make good threads? Only ever had one that went on for 3 pages, rest always dies after 3-5 posts...

Well Archeology might give us some insight, or even the new old god this x-pac, since they've been around long before night elves (esp. the old god under/near the maelstorm).

15+ Year Old Account
    Admit it, you only use the search-function and are searching for "Old Gods" among all recent posts to determine what thread you're gonna visit! We got you now!

Btw: Can someone teach me how to make good threads? Only ever had one that went on for 3 pages, rest always dies after 3-5 posts...
    The way the site is set up, i cannot search the words "Old" and "god", i instead search Darkside and Dark Side to get where im wanted.

You need a hook, a angle that makes people think "Wow, i want to keep a tab on this thread".

Thumbs down

similar to how Christians believe that God created man.
    But god did create man : /
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I wish Blizzard would realize that adding features designed to achieve convenience for players in turn make this game more of a job

Quote Originally Posted by lolterribads View Post
    But god did create man : /
    I am just gonna keep my mouth shut. lol

This is a theory that has been around for a very long time. It is definitely possible, but the missing tusks on night elves always throws me off. And Cenarius is also a bit of a mystery. We all know Elune exists because of this half deer-NE man. Since Elune is the moon she probably has existed longer than most forms of intelligent life on Azeroth. So the night elf like form may be older than trolls, but did not appear in the mortal realm until way after trolls spread across the globe.

How ever, if you tell a night elf he/she evolved from a troll, you'll have an arrow in your forehead.

The ascendation theory doesnt really fit, in my opinion.
    Your other example(Twilight and Shadow) actually asended to a form higher then themselves by extensive practice in the related field.

The Trolls transition to Night Elves is more likely just evolution. The Well infulanced less primitive living which caused them to evolve into a less primitive form.

Just a thought.

On Elune... It's very possible her original form is not at all similar to the Night Elves. Just a form used to make them feel more comfy. Most higher beings do the same thing.
    Last edited by Mijen; 2010-08-22 at 03:16 AM.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    The way the site is set up, i cannot search the words "Old" and "god", i instead search Darkside and Dark Side to get where im wanted.

You need a hook, a angle that makes people think "Wow, i want to keep a tab on this thread".
    And here I was thinking your Old God senses started to tingle

Anyway I like the idea of Night Elves coming from trolls. Whenever stories can be connected without adding new things it makes it more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by klheart View Post
    I am just gonna keep my mouth shut. lol

How ever, if you tell a night elf he/she evolved from a troll, you'll have an arrow in your forehead.
    This isnt really the place for me to say it but I feel like I have to. Dont take someones religion or views on our origin and smirk at it like you know the answer. Nobody does to be honest, and your theory is no better than a Christians. Im Agnostic and I dont deny the possibility of a God, but there isnt enough evidence to prove one exists or doesnt exist. Just wanted to put that out there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    And here I was thinking your Old God senses started to tingle

Anyway I like the idea of Night Elves coming from trolls. Whenever stories can be connected without adding new things it makes it more fun.
    Im not going to accuse everything of being a old god, but at the same time im not gonna try to please everyone

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Babies View Post
    This isnt really the place for me to say it but I feel like I have to. Dont take someones religion or views on our origin and smirk at it like you know the answer. Nobody does to be honest, and your theory is no better than a Christians. Im Agnostic and I dont deny the possibility of a God, but there isnt enough evidence to prove one exists or doesnt exist. Just wanted to put that out there.
    But I didn't state any opinion >_>

But this isnt about real world religions, this is about the night elves, who believe in a heavenly body that makes super light shields!!

interesting theory, but I find it unlikely. one thing is to have Trolls changing into Night Elves due to the Well's energies, but to say that Trolls ascended into superior, better forms, the NEs, is to push it a little too much, IMO.

I strongly believe that NEs originated from Trolls, but I wouldn't call them better than, or superior to Trolls...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pok
    CC of WOTLK era=kill it faster. Why turn it into a sheep when you can turn it into a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardomsc View Post
    interesting theory, but I find it unlikely. one thing is to have Trolls changing into Night Elves due to the Well's energies, but to say that Trolls ascended into superior, better forms, the NEs, is to push it a little too much, IMO.

I strongly believe that NEs originated from Trolls, but I wouldn't call them better than, or superior to Trolls...
    "Stronger" can be relative, as in this case. The Night Elves would, at least in 9 out of 10 cases, lose a 1on1 fist fight against a Troll.
    Due to their regenerative abilites, I'd even doubt they'd win when fighting with swords. [Remember, not talking about Darkspear here, they're one of the (physically) weakest tribes.]

Nevertheless the Night Elves anihilated the Trolls prior to the WotA, due to their magic power. So while they were physically weaker, they still managed to deal crushing defeats to the Trolls.

And that can be considered as "being stronger".

Aside from that, I share your opinion on the origin of the Night Elves. I guess about 70% of those who know of that discussion will agree on Night Elves having evolved from Trolls, but the other 25%, who think that Night Elves were not created from Trolls, are those that I want to include here. [For anybody curious, the last 5% believe that Trolls evolved from Night Elves. Don't look at me like that, I think it's stupid too -.-]

We know that that specific tribe of Dark Trolls was transformed. As can be seen here:
    "There, these brave pioneers discovered the cosmic Well of Eternity which transformed them into beings of immense power."

It might actually be possible, that those Trolls saw Elune due to the power of the Well before their transformation. This would skip one step of my ascendation theory, which actually sounds like it fits better...
    Thanks for bringing it up then. ^^

If this is what Dark Side believes it's probably true x)