Thread: Leven sync

Cool Leven sync

The Escapist recently did an interview with Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street, where they talk Blizzard's plans and ideas behind Cataclysm. One part that really stood out was Ghostcrawler mentioning a new system being put in place that will allow high level characters to decrease their level to help out low level characters.

This sound familiar to anyone? Anyone who has ever played Final Fantasy XI may remember this as Level Sync, and City of Heroes players may remember this as their "Mentoring System". Ghostcrawler does mention that this may happen eventually, so no getting your hopes up if it doesn't come true!

Ghostcrawler said:
    Cataclysm may also eventually include a system that allows players to scale down their character's level in order to help newer players. The heirloom items unveiled in Wrath of the Lich King already scale with a character's level, so adjusting them to suit a downgraded character is already part of the design. Cataclysm will go one step further and replace individually purchased spell ranks with a scaleable system that allows a single ability to grow along with a character. Scaling down levels probably won't be possible when Cataclysm is released, but it's a feature that will be coming eventually and should help players of differing levels adventure together more easily.

SO my question is what is it exactly??

Why would you want to go back a (few) level(s)? Why can't you "help" low level characters at max level? I can't think of anything that REQUIRES you to be a low level, besides BGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Why would you want to go back a (few) level(s)? Why can't you "help" low level characters at max level? I can't think of anything that REQUIRES you to be a low level, besides BGs.
    This, what the fuck is this system.. it sounds pretty stupid imo.

The only use i can see from it is.. when you have lv85 all chars, and are bored shitless with deathwing raid that you've been doing for a year and want to level something.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Agreed with Vook. The only benefit I foresee is better experience gained. Someone else should chime in, my scope is limited.

it would reduce the experience penalty for being grouped with a high level. Admittedly I haven't followed the evolution of that system recently but as i recall it last worked such that a character more than 10 levels above you in your party killed the xp you gain.
    Mixelphlick 80 Gnome mage
    Beetstick 80 Gnome deathknight

Some people enjoy (new) old content at the appropriate levels? Durr.
    And as long as there's a free ride back up, I'm all for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagetsuya View Post
    Then why not just make another character, instead of implementing some silly level-rollback system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by Kagetsuya View Post
    I agree with this also, if it doesn't then i'm going back to the "this is a stupid idea"

15+ Year Old Account
    Less experience depreciation, and you can queue for the same dungeons/bgs/etc. You can also do stuff in groups/the way it's meant to be done, instead of just 'boosting', which does get boring.

In the end, if you don't like it/don't see the point, don't use it. It's just another option.

Edit: Also, in CoH, once you "unpartied" (it was actually based on range) the levels went right back to normal. However, in that system the lesser player actually moved up, instead of vice versa as it apparently will be in Cataclysm.

But yes, I will assume the "scaling down" will not be permanent since that's pretty counter-productive.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2010-08-22 at 01:38 AM.

Maybe its to help carry friends in lower level dungeons that you cant solo and cant queue for together due to level cap. Although im sure you will be able to solo all(unless gimmick fight) wrath dungeons at 85 with the super increased hp.

The only thing i'd see useful from this is if some people wanted do to an authentic pre-bc, TBC, Wotlk raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    The day I play anything entitled 'Boi' is the day I relinquish my sanity.
    I'm Dyslexic, so deal with it.

Perhaps with all the phasing being brought in this will enable you to be in the same phase with lower-level characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Apok101 View Post
    The only thing i'd see useful from this is if some people wanted do to an authentic pre-bc, TBC, Wotlk raid.
    lf39m AQ40. Experienced rollbacks only, nobody above lvl 60. Must know strats
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I wish Blizzard would realize that adding features designed to achieve convenience for players in turn make this game more of a job

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    However, in that system the lesser player actually moved up, instead of vice versa as it apparently will be in Cataclysm.
    Actually, they have both, Exemplar (down to lower lvl) and Sidekick (up to higher lvl-1).

On topic: The only reason to do this would be to lower the XP penalty, as has been stated in this post, I see no other reason at this time.
    “In order to make apple pie from scratch, you must first make the Universe.” Carl Sagan