Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildian View Post
    No.
    Wrong.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Armor_penetration

Take note at the explanation Ghoscrawler gave. Armor pen reduces "up to x amount of armor". Basically, our armor pen removes all armor up until a given point on a boss, then the rest of that bosses armor is completely unaffected.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

and femaledwarf is right there. Even 100% arp doesn't reduce armor to 0 and sunder/faerie reduction is taken seperately. So yes, it still helps with dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Gildian View Post
    No.
    They are still worth a small amount of damage because of the stupid way the formulas work. I would explain more, but I never bothered to find out the exact reason. Suffice to say, you still need full debuffs for full damage, it just doesn't hurt as bad if you don't have them once you're at 100%. There's a post on EJ about this, I believe.

sunder gives a large dps increase fully capped or not. the armor that armorpen reduces is different to the armor pen from sunders

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    They are still worth a small amount of damage because of the stupid way the formulas work. I would explain more, but I never bothered to find out the exact reason. Suffice to say, you still need full debuffs for full damage, it just doesn't hurt as bad if you don't have them once you're at 100%. There's a post on EJ about this, I believe.
    Sunder causes the target to just have 20% less armor. Arpen works weirdly and reduces a portion of it.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

I´m not too far in the mechanics, but isn´t it like 30% buff for Sv+ Bm= 30% more damage, while 30% buff for MM= more than 30% more damage, because of the double scaling from piercing shots and chimera shot? The skill itself scales with 30% and the skill the damage is based on scale with 30%, that`s at least what I found out from some (not really close) compared logs.
    If that is true, it would make the different even higher. I`m pretty sure femaledwarf does count this too, at least for Sv 30% is 30% for me, and for MM 30% is arround 33%. Or is there another reason for that?

And by the way, spreadsheets don`t tell you the highest possible dps, but an average dps with theoretic exactly uptimes of procs. Especially with an lucky amount of T10 procs or crits in praxis, it`s not so rare to top the sheet dps.

I thought someone ran tests before and proved that piercing shots didn't double dip from damage modifiers like 2xt10?

I thought someone ran tests before and proved that piercing shots didn't double dip from damage modifiers like 2xt10?
    Not that kind of double dip. Piercing "Double dips" since ur steadies, chimeras and aimed shots hit like a truck because of the ICC buff. This makes our piercing tick for a ridiculous amount of damage once u keep it rolling (not going below 5 secs).

Same reason that Ignite makes Fire mages waaaaaay ahead of everyone on pure Patchwerk fights. Especially on BQL where all your damage is further increased.

If it wasn't for the 30% buff, Surv wouldn't be THAT far behind. Yes it is still lagging by about 1.5-2k dps, but not as bad as 4-5k like we see in ICC. (See Lord Jaraxxus parses for example).

Also, that 20k hunter on saurfang didn't switch to adds and has been fed tricks / hysteria.
    Last edited by Squall13; 2010-08-24 at 01:54 AM.

Get a SV hunter to do the same, they won't be close to 20k. Furthermore, at Jaraxxus things were closer because people didn't have 1400 ArP. If people still go to ToC25 in their 264-277 gear and take WoL parses, I'll be amazed at their fortitude.

Survival isn't as good.

Female Dwarf is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    I'm interested to see if the hunters were both actually following the fight mechanics though. If they both were, this is a valid point.

---------- Post added 2010-08-23 at 10:20 PM ----------

Yes, but then you have varying debuffs, as well as piercing wounds dropping.
    Piercing wounds doesnt do less damage if it falls off, it doesnt roll like that. It is simply 30% extra damage on crits in a special way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    MM, though MM is awfully boring compared to Surv, and the difference isn't that big.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...rvival_Hunter/

Let's look at Tupan Techno as they have relatively high numbers all across the board.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...r&cn=D%C3%B2ko Doko's Armory?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...anship_Hunter/

Barlos now

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nger&cn=Barlos

All in all the almost 3k that gaps them in the 30% is not "minor", that is a rather large loss in DPS.

Doko pulls 15,963 as of 8-10... his best parse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a SV hunter to do the same, they won't be close to 20k. Furthermore, at Jaraxxus things were closer because people didn't have 1400 ArP.
    I will agree with this but ive managed to pull 14.5k as survival whilst switching to adds, tricks/hysteria it would still be quite a bit higher. Although i am aware hysteria is not as good for survival as marksman but hey any increase is an increase.

7/57/7 > All :>

Get a SV hunter to do the same, they won't be close to 20k. Furthermore, at Jaraxxus things were closer because people didn't have 1400 ArP. If people still go to ToC25 in their 264-277 gear and take WoL parses, I'll be amazed at their fortitude.
    Point still stands. You can't put a "target switching fight" into the picture if the hunter isn't actually target switching. And I already pointed out the reason why Marks pulls ahead considerably at 30% buff. Want more proof? Check Toravon parses. Without the buff, its about a 2k max disparity. Not the 5k+ we see in ICC.

Regarding Jaraxxus, if you even checked the logs and the hunters in there, you would see that they do wear 264-277 gear as Surv. People still run it because a lot of guilds still try to do Immortality runs for the mount.

I'm not here trying to discredit Marks. I never denied that it is the top dps. But if you are on a guild that is farming 11/12 normal, you shouldn't even worry about it. Play what you enjoy. I've seen Surv out dps Marks on non heroic ICC gear just because they stack their cooldowns wrong. Or as even as simple as the boss not having sunders and mangle.
    Last edited by Squall13; 2010-08-24 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli View Post
    Piercing wounds doesnt do less damage if it falls off, it doesnt roll like that. It is simply 30% extra damage on crits in a special way.
    I am not referring to it as a damage loss, I am saying that if it drops off the main target, you will lose dps due to less uptime.