Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should you drop Fireball when you learn Scorch?

From levelig 22 or so to 40?

Fireball does more damage with a slower cast time, the usual pull would be FB-->FB-->Scorch(?)-->FB(?)

I don't know the values, neither of damage nor mana cost, but I'd say FB is still to be preferred in front of scorch, since it should prove a higher dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    Simple question what healer gives you personally the biggest headache in pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob View Post
    I play a ret paladin, so my answer is this:

Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    umm.. no. I see a lot of low level mages spamming scorch and I wanna smack them in the forehead.

scorch- does have a faster cast time, but does a whole helluva lot less damage than fireball.
    fireball- slower cast time, helluva lot of damage.

the only reason to use scorch is when you get improved scorch to add the 5% crit increase.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyStanger View Post
    Fireball does more damage with a slower cast time, the usual pull would be FB-->FB-->Scorch(?)-->FB(?)

I don't know the values, neither of damage nor mana cost, but I'd say FB is still to be preferred in front of scorch, since it should prove a higher dps.
    What about in Warsong Gulch from level 20 to 40? You want to be quick with fire, would you spam Scorch?

I would suggest using Fireball as opener and another Fireball or two as evil monster is coming to you. By that time it should be dead and if it's not finish him with Scorch.

Quote Originally Posted by bojr View Post
    I would suggest using Fireball as opener and another Fireball or two as evil monster is coming to you. By that time it should be dead and if it's not finish him with Scorch.
    Alright, so I should at least put points on Improving Fireball, reduce 0.5 casting time, yeah.

Fireball = if it has more health than your Scorch will do.
    Scorch = if your Scorch will kill it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finish him with Fire Blast?

In PvE, scorch is only good in dungeons. In world PvE, spam FB, Fire Blast is mob is near dead to finish him. If the Fire Blast didn't finish it (like 1% healt still left) Arcane Explosion.

Pyroblast is the best openner when you can spec into it.

For PvP, low levels, i would suggest not taking Fire spec.

How good is this?

"Your critical strikes from Fire damage spells cause the target to burn for an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 sec."

For a level 20? If I have about 40 spell power. Because it does say spell's damage, so it's like what the tooltip says it will do in damage it will take 40% from?

Deleted
    Fire is pretty decent for low levels.

Polymorph and then cast pyroblast... nothing they can do about it =P

Quote Originally Posted by Archimourne View Post
    How good is this?

"Your critical strikes from Fire damage spells cause the target to burn for an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 sec."

For a level 20? If I have about 40 spell power. Because it does say spell's damage, so it's like what the tooltip says it will do in damage it will take 40% from?
    Ignite deals 40% of however much damage your critical strike dealt to the target over 4 or w/e seconds. Its not a good spell for low levels because it is based off of critical strikes and your percentage is far too low at that level.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

How good is this?

At the level you get this talent (15 I think?) you have such an abysmally low crit chance that this will almost never proc. you may see on 1/5 mobs. fire is super gear-dependant, and you just wont have the crit at low levels. that is why [almost] every one suggest leveling as frost

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigann View Post
    At the level you get this talent (15 I think?) you have such an abysmally low crit chance that this will almost never proc. you may see on 1/5 mobs. fire is super gear-dependant, and you just wont have the crit at low levels. that is why [almost] every one suggest leveling as frost
    Maybe I should gone Frost, they have a glyph at level 15 to increase damage with 5% but removes slowing effect but that would be like better because I'm used to Fire and that has no slowing effect.

Maybe I should gone Frost, they have a glyph at level 15 to increase damage with 5% but removes slowing effect but that would be like better because I'm used to Fire and that has no slowing effect.
    nonono the reason you go frost is to slow things and kill them without ever getting hit
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    I recently leveled my mage and I'd say fire is the worst leveling spec, and also it gets extremly boring with the slow cast times :P go frost or arcane with improved arcane missiles, should prove alot more fun and alot faster killing, also frost is awesome for aoe

that glyph is for dungeons and endgame PVE ONLY! leveling or PVP, you definately want that slowing effect. that is practically the whole point of the spec, slowing or freezing your enemies so that they never reach you

Quote Originally Posted by IceQbe View Post
    I recently leveled my mage and I'd say fire is the worst leveling spec, and also it gets extremly boring with the slow cast times :P
    not to mention that it sucks your mana dry faster than you can say "OOM!"

You lack SP at lower levels and scorch gets a 20% damage increase when glyphed and doesn't take ages to cast unlike FB.

I'd go FB => scorch spam or spec frost for the easy of it.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well in cata you can spam scorch while moving (talented), and fire WILL actually be pvp viable.
    Fireball seems to have a higher DPCT than Scorch, so my guess is while moving (pvp), you would use scorch, and if noone is targeting you (raid, rare in pvp), then you would use fireball.
    All in all, I'm pretty sure Blizzard meant to make scorch used while moving, and fireball when still.
    NOW THEN, QQ-ERS, TROLLS AND MORONS, PEOPLE WITH BRAINS, ENTERTAIN ME WITH YOUR FLAMEWARS!

(Property of Andok's Gnome-Torturing Emporium)

not quite sure what you mean about "dropping" it. Do you mean like, never using it again? or removing it from your bars or whatever?

Ofc you're going to start with FB, then FB one more and spam scorch after that. Ofc this varies as to how much hp the mob has, if you crit on any of them, how far the target is from your when the first fireball hits and your mana. Just take these into consideration and use that head of yours

---------- Post added 2010-08-23 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by IceQbe View Post
    I recently leveled my mage and I'd say fire is the worst leveling spec, and also it gets extremly boring with the slow cast times :P go frost or arcane with improved arcane missiles, should prove alot more fun and alot faster killing, also frost is awesome for aoe
    Now way man:P
    Fire is the most fun spec to level, after that arcane, then frost.
    I guess if getting a challange regarding mana colldown usage and stuff like that seems boring for some then ok, but it's still better then no challange at all.

Frost is basicaly Frostbolt spam ALL the way. That's about it.
    Arcane gets fun after you get Arcane Barrage, but make sure to manage your mana cd's properly.
    Fire is the spec with the most downtime, but also at the same time it's IMO the most fun spec to kill mobs with if you take most of the pvp related talents as well (like Dragons breath, blastwave, blazing speed, fireblast stun etc.)
    Last edited by Rifee; 2010-08-23 at 03:08 PM.
    Meh

I think about dropping going frost, it's not so much fun with just 1 ability kinda focused around it, yea :|