Retribution in Arena

Hey everyone,

I'm playing a retribution paladin and mostly PvE with my character. I do however enjoy a little bit of arena sometimes.

My problem is that I seem to be unable to kill any healer that has a decent amount of resilience. I know that I should be able to work with my teammate to CC/interrupt etc.. in order to get a kill. But still it's such a difficult thing for me. I'm led to believe that my damage is significantly lower than other dps classes, but most importantly other retribution paladins.

Are there perhaps any issues with my gearing and/or gemming that reduce my damage with such a large ammount? As I'm really not that much of an expert regarding PvP I turn myself to the mmo-champion community, I assume there's a fair ammount of PvP players on these boards that would be able to offer me some insight.

Thanks in advance

armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...=The+Maelstrom

I'm no professional on retribution paladins, but I think they go for the agi/critdmg meta (relentless skyflare iirc), unlock it with a nightmare tear where it gives the biggest strength bonus and stuff +20 str gems in everything else. It's hard to imagine that you have problems with killing healers at 1700 rating with Shadowmourne :S
    "How poor are they that have not patience"

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    you can't kill a healer alone unless he undergear you
    otherwise you need teamwork to kill one
    Man, the Alliance are always either shrieking that they're losing or shrieking that they're winning. What's with that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Gemming is ok though as mentioned above you can change the meta to the 21agi one.After that i would have suggested to go on full str.
    What will help you the most though imo is to time up your cd like hoj and aw as well as the help from your partner that you will need a lot in order to kill a healer as you already said.
    And btw its not needed to try always kill the healer 1st.With some good switches and since you have a druid in 2s you can cc the healer with cyclone and repe and even a hoj and open the dps with aw on.

Switch your neckpiece out for the wrathful crit rating one because you are way over hit cap for PvP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDallman
    So I was ironing my dog the other day, and I thought about it. Why can't mages melee with magical swords of awesome?

RHONIN DID IT!

/RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've also seen several retribution paladins wear 2 pieces of T10 gear in arena for the extra DS procs. Is this viable or would that give up too much of my resilience?

Oh lord you got the shadowmourne!

if you can get two pieces of tier 10 it's worth trying, but the fact is that ret in arena simply is gimped, the lack of interrupts really hurts the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Untoldblasphemy View Post
    "You play for fun, but when I kill you, who's having the fun?"
    ^ Awesome !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrane View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I've also seen several retribution paladins wear 2 pieces of T10 gear in arena for the extra DS procs. Is this viable or would that give up too much of my resilience?
    Those are the one with experience

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbanana View Post
    you can't kill a healer alone unless he undergear you
    otherwise you need teamwork to kill one
    thats pretty much right, unless its a resto shammy :P (ofc not all shammies)
    you and your teamate need to be able to CC the other target whislt nuking down the healers, frost mage is a nice partner

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmrmht, well. No offence, but you should stick to battlegrounds and learn everything there is to learn about your class before you start asking for advice, as the best things come from self experience.
    How to counter every class and spec. With that gear, I believe I and most experienced arena players would have absolutely no issues climbing another hundred rating (assuming you have a proper combo), so I don't see why you should have a hard time.

Deleted
    go with a resto shaman
    grab loads of pve gear good easy rating specially as u have skilmourne

I run Ret in my 2's, 3's and 5's teams. In 2's if there's a healer I have to wait for them to blow their CD's. Then pop HoJ and wings and try and burst them down. I recently had a 2v2 game last over 40 minutes (Ret/Resto Druid VS. DK/Resto Druid). Eventually I was able to nuke the healer and kill him but it was a PitA.

In my 3's team I run with a MM hunter and a healer. We usually coordinate our stuns/silences in a row so that we can nuke the healer without too much trouble. However double healer teams can be a problem.

And with Shadowmourne you should be able to burst down a healer with all your CD's.

Play MM/Hunter/Resto sham, your damage + hunter is going to be scary.

go with a resto shaman. get him to shock alot of heals and purge alot. keep your shaman alive by giving him dispells and freedoms. line up cc chains with hex /rep (and stuns sometimes.

With that weapon you should easily be doing higher substained burst (yes substained burst) then any other melee class out there. That's the thing about ret paladins, you have consistant burst get some shocks in and he's down eventually.
    Meh