Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling spec for warriors in cataclysm

Hello! I'm rerolling Warrior with Cataclysm and wondering what do you guys/gals think that best spec for fastest leveling will be? With lowest downtime of course.

At the moment prot is doing just great because of ridiculous survivability and damage output - that's my idea of "DPS" prot spec for leveling:
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LhbMZhZIfMdRRRb0u

The other spec I was thinking about is Arms - with 2H Heirloom weapon it should be viable till 85, reason? Higher rage generation, some defensive abilites like knockdown which are usefull when you play on PvP server
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#LhbcfRMRufkIb0o

What do you guys think ? Also I have access to all of the heirlooms - which of them would be best if anyone can point me out (Don't care about racial bonuses of races cause they're likely to change)

Those heirlooms wont do you any good since they work only upto lvl80. And lvl85 ones wont be accessible from the start.

Comes Cata, I'll go prot (from 80 to 85) because that's my main spec, i've got loads of ICC heroic, and prot has already be proven super efficient when it comes to soloing / leveling.

But arms is also very viable, of course. Now with Field Dressing and Blood Craze, the healing / eating downtime may be really small.

Just play the spec that appeals you the most. Remember that Prot will allow you instant queue if you use LFG tool, and as a lvl 85 tank eventually you will find a lot of opportunities for High lvl PVE.

Now about Heirlooms... There isnt a huge choice, really. Plate chest and shoulders for any spec, 2h axe if Arms, 1h PvP sword or Pve mace (Dagger is also a good alternative but you will need the mace eventually, better stats on it) for Prot. Pve Bow of PvP gun, as you wish, for both spec.

I know that the extra XP will be disable at lauch between 80 and 85. So basically your heirlooms will be very unefficient when you ding 80, you will probably replace them very, very fast. I'm actually not quite sure you will be allow to even EQUIP lvl 80 heirlooms when you ding 81. But if you are, the stats on it will remain as if you were 80, so when you reach 80, start replacing your heirlooms.

---------- Post added 2010-08-23 at 10:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Houdre View Post
    Those heirlooms wont do you any good since they work only upto lvl80. And lvl85 ones wont be accessible from the start.
    Heirlooms will still help him for 1 - 80, he said he is rerolling.
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2010-08-23 at 10:06 AM.

I will be prot so I can tank for my guild in 5 mans and also so I have instant queues for pugs. Prot works great from level 1 to 80 so I say prot. But arms is fun as well. You can always do arms until 40, then dual spec and grab prot for fast queues. Or just go prot at a higher level when you really want to do dungeons.

With that new vengeance mechanic I really feel like prot is the way to go, fast dungeons, good survability

15+ Year Old Account
    since learning by doing is the best way to become a good player, you should choose the spec you want to play in raids later on.

In my case, this is:

prot. once a tank always a tank. and additionally:
    - instant pugs (although they may get challenging regarding the catacylsm 5 men)
    - always best gear (because you are in dungeons 99% of the time and get all the loot sooner or later, and dungeon rare loot > quest green loot
    - no competition with the other 5000 players who are leveling at the same time at the same place.

oh and for the sake of leveling specs. it's ridicolous (damn the spelling ...) to post a 41 point build as a leveling spec. a leveling spec developes ... er ... while you are leveling.
    a) set yourself goals. which talent do you want to reach first? which after that? and which after that? hey and don't do something like "I WANT SHOCKWAVE" right at lvl 10. That'd be daft.
    b) take the talents for highest dps (and therefore TPS) to reach that goals first. after that, migitation/avoidance, after that, filler talents.
    c) get def gear right away from the start, whenever possible. thread *should* come via talents. at least never an item without stamina. exceptions may be trinkets, weapons. a 50 dps weapon without stamina is better than a 20 dps weapon with stamina. but that should be obvoius.
    d) respec maybe at 58, but for sure at 68. from now on, migitation/avoidance talents should be taken first, then the threat talents.

horray, you're done.

ooook, respec at 85 to one of the cookie cutter specs. my bad.

Getting Bloodthirst at level ten combined with the new changes to Blood Craze and Enrage,will make fury pretty fun for leveling, with decent self healing.

I'm planning on rerolling warrior to, and since i'm gonna powerlevel with one of my friends who will be rolling a priest, i'm wondering what spec would be the best for fast quest grinding with the occasional instance? Atm i got my eyes on fury for good damage (have been trying it out on my 45 warrior and it seems to work good)
    Retired ret pala of <Stasis> Ravencrest EU

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the new Cata dungeons leveling as Prot...but when questing will be in prot spec but with full dps gear on with 1h dps weapon an shield...gotta love those revenge/shield slam crits

Remember those normal dungeons I believe will be tuned down, they ALWAYS are on the live versions...just remember with the ICC 5mans they were pretty damn tough on PTR and toned down quite a bit on live release. I do hope the heroic versions require some thought at least, I think that's why all the current wrath heroics are so boring, cause you just steamroll through everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Borahk View Post
    I'm planning on rerolling warrior to, and since i'm gonna powerlevel with one of my friends who will be rolling a priest, i'm wondering what spec would be the best for fast quest grinding with the occasional instance? Atm i got my eyes on fury for good damage (have been trying it out on my 45 warrior and it seems to work good)
    if you always have a priest with you fury would be awesome for lvling

Deleted
    I am currently leveling A fury worgen warrior in the beta and what i can say is Fury isnt as *risky* as it is atm.
    so it goes down like this atm:
    Fury: Fast kills
    Arms: Big burst
    Protection: Dosent kill as fast as Fury or as much burst as Arms but can take much more pain than both of them.

Fury would probably go well due to healing that is related with it: Bloodthirst,Blood craze,Victory rush. I have recieved no down time in beta unless i handle around 4-5 adds. (LVL 17 Worgen warrior)

ive leveled two diff warrs, and i gotta say prot is the way to go. less down time, more survivability, and insta que when you want to do a dungeon...and its also more fun in my opinion. and the time between killing a mob as fury or arms vs one as prot, its prob .5-1 second difference or around that area...very small anyway.

arms is a close second simply for gathering 5 mobs and bladestorming them.
    Last edited by Deathchin; 2010-08-24 at 09:28 AM.

Deleted
    When Cata hitts i will probobly make myself a pvp specc because i play on a pvp server and THERE WILL BE alot of world pvp.

And bare in mind that talent setups will change

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't see the point in levelling as dps anymore. I'm prot right now, and will be levelling to 85 as prot - no downtime, fantastic dps, and you can solo 5 man quest mobs with ease (not to mention the self-healing coming up) - an equally geared arms or fury warrior may be able to kill a mob a second or two faster, but the instant queues and soloability/downtime issues make prot far superior imo. Not to mention it's far more fun.
    "The truth, my goal."

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Not to mention it's far more fun.
    ^This, thousands of thousands of times this.

Playing/Leveling as a prot warrior is waaaaaaaaaaaa[insert thousands of 'a']y more fun.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathchin View Post
    ive leveled two diff warrs, and i gotta say prot is the way to go. less down time, more survivability, and insta que when you want to do a dungeon...and its also more fun in my opinion. and the time between killing a mob as fury or arms vs one as prot, its prob .5-1 second difference or around that area...very small anyway.

arms is a close second simply for gathering 5 mobs and bladestorming them.
    Yeah so, hum, i TRIED to read that but you sig disturbed me too much xD. You may want to change it, seriously it's fucking impossible to read anything when you have a chinese guys, a white guy and a blue guy (wtf) looking at you and screaming while the camera zooms in super fast. Seriously

Edit : ok I need an aspirine now :/

Edit2 : thank god it changed xD
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2010-08-24 at 10:02 AM.

Deleted
    play prot and spec for dungeons, if u have imp revenge then ur doing twice the amount of dmg that fury/arms is doing at that level, then at 70 switch to a dps spec and quest because on all accounts the people I've played with in the 70-79 bracket are horrible players with a maximum 30% success on your dungeons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    I honestly don't see the point in levelling as dps anymore. I'm prot right now, and will be levelling to 85 as prot - no downtime, fantastic dps, and you can solo 5 man quest mobs with ease (not to mention the self-healing coming up) - an equally geared arms or fury warrior may be able to kill a mob a second or two faster, but the instant queues and soloability/downtime issues make prot far superior imo. Not to mention it's far more fun.
    I was going to write something like this so, ^This.

I've never played a warrior but I levelled around to 80 with a protection warrior friend, and I must say I think protection is definitely the way to go.

However it really does all come down to preferences. If you prefer to level as a dps, it should be just as doable just taking that little bit longer of adding downtime. But that can be argued against the lesser damage of protection to the other two specs.

I'm myself leaning toward prot after what you guys said - should have much lower downtime and still be able to do all quest solo which will be good for powerleveling. Just have to stack heirlooms with stamina for good Vengeance