Thread: Crit Bug?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Crit Bug?

Okay so just looking to see if anyone's had a similar experience to me...let me explain my circumstances.

Im a 4.5k GS DK tank, frost specced for damage reductions including IFP and I have 32k health, 28k armour and 553 Defence Rating yet when I'm in dungeons I just seem to be taking masses of damage like I'm getting crit. In Nexus the other day I was killed by a pack of four mobs in the crystal grove (correct name?) which seeemd odd when the healer and rest of the party were 264 iLvL geared and I was popping everything I had in my arsenal to reduce damage taken I think I had about a 70% damage reduction at one point (including reductions from armour) yet got destroyed like a punk.

A couple other people from LFD mentioned they'd experienced similar situations...but yea has anyone else encountered this I had attempted to contact GM's but have had no response and daren't try the official forums for obvious reasons of not getting any actual answers just the usual trolls. Now at the moment my character on armoury is not in his tanking gear so I'll put him in it when I get home and post a link here for you all to see...but for now it's back to work with me

Deleted
    sounds like ur healer was asleep... i havnt seen any problems tanking on my Warrior

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post
    sounds like ur healer was asleep... i havnt seen any problems tanking on my Warrior
    well you see the thing is. that I was asked by the healer if I was DC due to how much damage I took. He was on the ball or so he says.

yet when I'm in dungeons I just seem to be taking masses of damage like I'm getting crit
    were you getting crit, or was it LIKE you were getting crit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scudmuffin View Post
    were you getting crit, or was it LIKE you were getting crit?
    ^

I was taking damage like I was recieving crits which should have been impposible being raid capped.

p.s. Zorg I included GS because I knew someone would use it as an explanation "oh well your gear score must be too low" or something

Imo, the problem resides in your spec/gear combo atm. I would suggest going blood, mainly for Will of the Necropolis
    It also has abit more health, not to forget improved selfhealing, wich is incredibly handy. Threat might be abit less,( I myself dont got much problems with either frost/blood though. both work fine for aoe threat in heroics,blood being better for single target with DRW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Congratulations to Egypt, who after many wipes over a very long raid lasting most of the week, resulting in some very close attempts earlier this morning, has finally downed Mub'arak, earning a tribute to insanity. Now that they have completed trial, will Paragon beat them to the punch in ICC? Only time will tell. According to a very credible source, some of the loots included liberty, freedom of speech, and, most importantly, the internets.

Clicky!

I feel you, I usually tank as blood in hcs (don't like frost very much) and my gs is a bit more than 5K... If the healer doesn't pay much attention I can get easily raped by trash, expecially in icc hcs.
    Also, it's a real pain to get aggro sometimes when happy-trigger dps decide to pull in my place (usually when I'm waiting for runes to refill for d&d).
    It's sooo much easier tanking with warr/pally/drood =/

Edit: I also have to admit that when i pug hcs with my crappy geared drood as resto (main spec is tank) most of the times it's a nightmare to heal a dk tank...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post
    That's genereally what I find wipes pugs is inattentive healers. Ofcourse the healer is going to claim that they were on the ball if they slip up. So the healer saying they were on the ball doesn't mean much. On recount review activity, a healer in a high damage situation ought to be topping the activity meter.

Well Tank initiates the pull, so the tank should always have the most activity, the healer second, followed by the dps. If the healer is amongst or below the dps for uptime they fail at heals and are likely responsible for your death.

You were probably not in frost presence/not facing the mobs/fat fingering your sit key.

And 553 def rating isn't enough to be uncrittable anyway. You need 535 def SKILL to be uncrittable against level 82s, and with stoneskin gargoyle you need 567 def RATING to get there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YTOfficer01 View Post
    I was taking damage like I was recieving crits which should have been impposible being raid capped.
    There is no such thing as damage being LIKE a crit. It either is officially a critical strike or it isn't. The attack roll system doesn't have an option where the damage is doubled but it isn't a crit. Chances are your healer just opted not to heal you since that entire instance can be tanked by most plate wearers without having any defense or being Prot spec'd at all.

My DK tank is in slightly better gear with around the same defense number and I have only seen this bug in one place before on Eadric the Pure in ToC5. The crits obviously aren't enough to kill, but it is odd seeing the crit numbers pop up even though I am so far past cap.

---------- Post added 2010-08-23 at 10:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    You were probably not in frost presence/not facing the mobs/fat fingering your sit key.

And 553 def rating isn't enough to be uncrittable anyway. You need 535 def SKILL to be uncrittable against level 82s, and with stoneskin gargoyle you need 567 def RATING to get there.
    This guy probably nailed it on the head. Wouldn't it be great if people actually bothered to post their armory when they have questions about why stuff is happening to them?

dk tanks take more damage than other class tanks, its just the way the class was set up, also they do more damage than other tanks. blood being the most viable tank spec has a lot of talents that are for when you have low health and you need more healing. also one of these healing talents can heal you for a percent of the damage you do. when you get into end game gear you'll see that its not really a problem anymore.

Deleted

Nope was right presence, facing the mobs and such.

I'm on 553 def to get crit immunity atleast back when I was gearing up I had that confirmed to me that I was crit immune by a friend who is a 25 HC tank. Are you certain my problem lies in being short of the 567 mark?

joost I won't derail my own topic but hating GS is pointless...it's reletively useless sure you can use it and if it works for you great but I've never felt it contributed anything to the game other than needless crying

P.S. My Tanking specc

Don't let the mobs hit you in the back, it huwts.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall
    One time, I stunned a rogue. I lolled.

Interesting.. Yesterday I did a few heroics with a blood DK tank, he had around 27k hp with kings/fort/motw and a little over 3000 gearscore. I found it rather easy to heal him, on 90% of the pulls PW:S and PoM was enough to keep him topped. He did take some sudden bursts of damage (100% -> 50% within a second) every now and then, but I believe those might've been because he was getting crits several times in a row.

I would try speccing blood and seeing how that works. Also, your healers have probably just been sleeping, try checking your combat log for heals when you seem to take insane amounts of damage.

I will say, I have seen many tanks lately run into a pack of mobs having one face them and the rest on their backs. They don't even try to move them into position.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    My DK tank is in slightly better gear with around the same defense number and I have only seen this bug in one place before on Eadric the Pure in ToC5. The crits obviously aren't enough to kill, but it is odd seeing the crit numbers pop up even though I am so far past cap.
    Eadric critting is intended. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=66865

I'm on 553 def to get crit immunity atleast back when I was gearing up I had that confirmed to me that I was crit immune by a friend who is a 25 HC tank. Are you certain my problem lies in being short of the 567 mark?
    Well I don't know for sure whether you mean skill or rating, it's a mistake that a lot of new tanks make. And even if its just normal hits killing you that doesn't necessarily mean that anything is bugged, dks can't block so we always take more damage than the other tanks in situations where the tank gets hit often but not hard.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2010-08-23 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    not def capped.

next.
    Def cap for HC's is 535 and 545 for raids =_=

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeless View Post
    dk tanks take more damage than other class tanks, its just the way the class was set up, also they do more damage than other tanks. blood being the most viable tank spec has a lot of talents that are for when you have low health and you need more healing. also one of these healing talents can heal you for a percent of the damage you do. when you get into end game gear you'll see that its not really a problem anymore.
    Here's the thing I've been tanking since vanilla and tanked a DK since LK release and haven't had this problem before except for when gearing up to the cap. Blood may be seen as the industry standard these days but I find frost more fun to play even if it is only for nostalgia's sake.

Well I don't know for sure whether you mean skill or rating, it's a mistake that a lot of new tanks make. And even if its just normal hits killing you that doesn't necessarily mean that anything is bugged, dks can't block so we always take more damage than the other tanks in situations where the tank gets hit often but not hard.
    Def skil I'd guess you'd call it...always referred to it as rating >.< you know the errm one on the defence tab of your character window. in my RP gear (Tank gear really just replaced my weapon) I have 528 skill and 634 rating.
    Last edited by mmoce86883aa25; 2010-08-23 at 02:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

There are two seperate numbers he is talking about. There is defense RATING, which is the stat on your gear and defense SKILL, which is the number that displays in your Defenses tab on your character screen (without mousing over it). Your defense RATING is not what is important here (well it is as it gives you skill). Your skill number must be 535 for heroics (540 for raids) in order to be crit capped. Figuring out which one of these you are referring to will help fix the issue possibly.

15+ Year Old Account

joost I won't derail my own topic but hating GS is pointless...it's reletively useless sure you can use it and if it works for you great but I've never felt it contributed anything to the game other than needless crying

P.S. My Tanking specc
    Are you confusing Def Rating and Def Skill? If you're actually talking rating, then no, you're not capped. If you're talking skill (number displayed on your character sheet), then you're fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eadric critting is intended. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=66865
    Well then, thanks for that piece of info I completely overlooked. /love