Spirit vs Crit for mages

This might seem like a dumb question but I'm brainstorming about it for quite a while now, so I decided to ask...
    So here is my question...

Let's pick 2 items:
    Item A
    50 int
    50 stam
    100 spirit
    50 haste

Item B
    50 int
    50 stam
    100 critical
    50 haste

What item would be better?
    Molten armor + glyph will give me 75% of spirit as crit, I would lose 25 crit but I would be getting 100 spirit. So would be better getting item A for 100 spirit (+75 crit with buffs) other than getting a straight 100 crit?

What spec would you be using with these? I play fire, so for me I would just take the 100 crit over the spirit, but perhaps as Arcane you would benefit more from the loss of 25 crit for the 100 spirit.

Indeed arcane, but even as fire wouldn't 100 spirit be better than 25 crit?

15+ Year Old Account
    Crit > Spirit for both specs. LK is the only fight where mana remotely matters, and we have enough ways to keep ourselves full.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm failing to see how in either spec spirit would be better than crit... Even with 3/3 sotm spirit rating still sucks compared to actual crit rating...

Legitimately, could you describe please your line of thinking and why you're even a asking this? Just more curious at this point more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by philia1 View Post
    Molten armor + glyph will give me 75% of spirit as crit,
    Molten armor is 35% of your spirit as crit - Glyph is an additional 20%, so unless you've got tier 9 2 set bonus, you only get 55% of your spirit as crit

2t9 is trivial to get(if you don't already just have it sitting around), and at this point it's just sort of taken for granted that even semi-serious raiding mages will do the swap. If you make a macro for it it takes no more time than casting MA by itself.

spirit benefits from human racial (+3% Spirit), the arcane talent (+10% spirit) and kings (again, 10% spirit) so really that 100 spirit turns into 123, someone else do the math but I'm sure it turns out more than 100 crit, plus you get the bonuses for mana regen

Edit: did math, turns out only 93 crit, but still worthy imo

Quote Originally Posted by Erik765 View Post
    I'm failing to see how in either spec spirit would be better than crit... Even with 3/3 sotm spirit rating still sucks compared to actual crit rating...

Legitimately, could you describe please your line of thinking and why you're even a asking this? Just more curious at this point more than anything.
    Not the OP, but from what I've read the general reasoning is that the spirit also provides a decent amount of mp5, which depending on the fight and group composition can be more beneficial than the crit you'd be losing, generally only for fights where you're in danger of having to Evocate. Evo is a huge loss of dps(compared to not going OOM before the end of the fight; obviously it's a huge dps gain if your other choice is being unable to cast), so if the extra mp5 is enough to keep you from having to Evo, win! And even that is pretty much only for arcane. If you're going OOM as fire, you're probably doing it wrong.

In the vast majority of cases the crit is better.

---------- Post added 2010-08-28 at 10:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    spirit benefits from human racial (+3% Spirit), the arcane talent (+10% spirit) and kings (again, 10% spirit) so really that 100 spirit turns into 123, someone else do the math but I'm sure it turns out more than 100 crit, plus you get the bonuses for mana regen
    92.25 crit. Also, lolhuman(although at least you're not a filthy gnome). Also also, lol3/3SotM. (Remember kids, friends don't let friends put points into Student of the Mind.)

Crit>Spirit and Student of the Mind is pretty bad for 3 talent points.

35%+20%+15%=70%
    123*0,7=86,1 or in reality 110*0,7=77

I'll take 100 crit, tyvm.