Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If it can fix the affect/effect and your/you're occurrence, then sign me the fuck up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait.... WHAT? You need an AddOn to not destroy your language?
    OP could have just said: If you type like this "brb, luv and lol" you can go fewk j00r s3lf.

"I don't know how to read but I got alot of toys" - 21st Century Digital Boy

RONG WHIT DOG!

I wonder, what does it replace "MT" with?
    "So.... who is the mis-type?"

Or gtg.
    "Ok, raids filled, looks like we're ready, got to go."

I'm trying to think up one that would be funny.
    If people are prone to over react, then gtg might actually cause a raid to disband, which might be funny to an observer, but not to anyone in the raid.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Hmm, wouldn't saying "/w" be enough to figure that you are supposed to whisper? ;(

Deleted
    If it wasn't for two things:

1) The main example example of the addon in this thread - the example you use to ADVERTIZE this entire addon - is the replacement of a common emoticon (<3) to a sentence which probably doesn't fit in context a majority of the times used ("I I love you hunters", "I I love you being in cata beta", whatever floats your boat; it would be out of context most of the time), which says something about your general skill in word replacement.

2) You have it "fixing" common and acceptable abbrevations such as "afk" and "brb". I don't use, nor promote the use of such abbrevations on forums or whenever typing in an elaborate manner otherwise, but in an in-game chat such is completely acceptable to me and to most other players. The only people who would seriously freak out over the use of abbrevations during a boss encounter (or simply within a game chat) are asshats. Yes, I cursed. Yes, I flamed. Yes, I stand by it.

So, no. As much as the general idea of making text more appealing to the eye and changing the most terrible of grammar to comprehensive text gets my thumbs up, your execution of it does not. Please learn not to freak out over the slightest instance of lacking academic english, as well as how to properly use an automated dictionary replacement code without disturbing the context of the sentence, and then return with a less half-assed addon more suited for general chat comprehension and less suited as a grammar nazi protest artistic statement.

-Aciaedius,
    Swede and thereby not native english speaker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    If it can fix the affect/effect and your/you're occurrence, then sign me the fuck up.
    as far as I understand it, it just works like Word's AutoReplace, so no, that wouldn't work - if you'd have it replace you're by your or vice versa, it would also replace the ones that actually were right.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    That isn't a grammar mistake. It's a spelling mistake. The title of a thread about a mistakes is mistaken.
    You, sir, need to go back to school and learn what the fuck grammar is. Spelling is grammar, good spelling is part of having good grammar. Good day to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tought this thread will be about your/youre, their/there/thier, duel wield & retarded stuff like that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Vetrith View Post
    You, sir, need to go back to school and learn what the fuck grammar is. Spelling is grammar, good spelling is part of having good grammar. Good day to you.
    Speaking from a linguistic point of view, no.
    I'll quote the Wikipedia Article, saying exactly what I have experienced in my linguistic studies:
    Linguists do not normally use the term to refer to orthographical rules, although usage books and style guides that call themselves grammars may also refer to spelling and punctuation.
    Grammar is the structural rules on how to compose sentences and words, not on spelling them per se.

So, in a way of general usage of the word, Baron Vetrith is right, good spelling is part of "having good grammar", as one might put it - but actually, grammar is a level "above" spelling, if you get me.

So, no reason to send people "the fuck back to school", your excellency

Only times I cannot take bad grammar is in guild applications. It gives me a headache trying to read that huge wall of bad grammar text. :>
    I'm not even bothered ingame.

Deleted
    Seems like a good idea.

Things like "u" "ur" "m8" "hw u" piss me off to an incredible degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Vetrith View Post
    Grammar;
    –noun
    The study of the way the sentences of a language are constructed; morphology and syntax.

AKA Not spelling. Tearor is correct.

"In linguistics, grammar is the set of logical and structural rules that govern the composition of sentences, phrases, and words in any given natural language."

It applies to the composition of words as much as it does sentences.
    Therefore it applies to abbreviations, which by their defintion are butchered by the likes of plz (and other such variations), m8, <3 which all contain characters not present in the original word or phrase they are intended to represent.
    Those are paramount to slang, or sheer stupidity however you wish to view them.
    There is no reason you can justify those under any guise of abbreviations, or any arguement of spelling vs grammar.
    Abbreviations or acrynyms are shorter versions, but still based solely on the content of the original, not introducing new characters into them, in some cases making them even longer so utterly defeating the point in the first place.
    In that specific example then it comes down to some intent to make oneself look like an idiot, for there is no logical reason to do so.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-08-27 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I makes plenty mistakes here's and then. Sumtimes I just weesh I could thinnk a lil bit beeter. ya'now what i means?

as long as i understand what people are trying to tell i dont give a rats ass how they write it.

Deleted
    Locking this, just too much flaming here.