Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GamesCon 2010: Cataclysm Press Q&A

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofraid.com
    GamesCom 2010: Cataclysm Press Q&A

Thanks to wow.battlenet.pl, an official Polish fansite, there's a video of the Cataclysm press Q&A that took place at GamesCom 2010. Since they didn't offer an embed option, I'm not going to hog their bandwidth by embedding the video here. I encourage everyone to go check it out! Below I've put together a summary of some of the interesting things discussed.

Patch 3.9 and preparing for Cataclysm's release

- Patch 3.9 will introduce the Cataclysm world event, which will begin taking place and culminate a few weeks before the expansion releases, with the Cataclysmic destruction actually taking place at that point.
    - The new race / class combos and 1-60 content will be available before World of Warcraft: cataclysm launches.
    - The servers will come down when the event culminates, and when they come back up you'll see the intro cinematic and all of the updated Azeroth will be available.
    - Blizzard is still trying to decide whether Archaeology will come out before or when World of Warcraft: Cataclysm releases.
    - 80-85 content and the Goblin and Worgen races will not be available until release day.

Cataclysm Raids & Dungeons

- The balance of high level content (heroics and raids especially) for Cataclysm is going to shift a bit more towards the "hardcore" crowd. Outdoor mob difficulty, heroic modes available immediately, etc.
    - There's a big more enforced progression so that most players don't skip immediately from normal dungeons to raids.
    - Chilton wishes there could be more difficulty modes for raids than just normal and heroic. Maybe 3 or 4 modes to offer appropriate challenges. It's not something they can do right now, but he can imagine them doing it in the future.
    - Blizzard will continue supporting 25-player raids for the people that like it. They're also going to make sure 25-player raids are appropriately rewarded. At least equivalently, and in most cases better rewarded.

Other

- The Battle for Gilneas was already significantly redesigned before even becoming available in the closed beta, based on internal testing feedback. Blizzard deemed the original design "unsalvageable."
    - It will probably be a long time after Cataclysm that Blizzard revisits the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor again. Chilton could see them giving Outland and Northrend the same treatment as they fall behind in quality and lore.
    - Sylvanas is trying to "ensure the future of the Forsaken". With the death of the Lich King and no plague to spread, she had to find alternate means to keep the Forsaken from becoming extinct.
    - The Emerald Dream is still something Blizzard wants to do. It might end up being part of Caverns of Time if they want to revisit it in a past setting.
    - Housing will be introduced to WoW some time right after "never".
    - The release date is at midnight on the first Tuesday after it's done! (This was a joke but also seriously, obviously)
    The goblin warrior, Gallywix!
    "And the Heavens shall tremble!"

My name is Kenneth044, and I'm an altoholic!

So they are finally doing something towards the hardcore group huh? It's about time that they make people actually EARN their gear again.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth044 View Post
    - The new race / class combos and 1-60 content will be available before World of Warcraft: cataclysm launches.
    YES. Tauren Paladin, ready for new content at launch, GO.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri (Blue Tracker)
    What you're experiencing is world PvP on a PvP realm. I realize that it's not for everyone, but it's not something that we plan to adjust. The harsh reality is that life on a PvP realm can be difficult, and if you aren't prepared for the rigors of playing on such a realm, then it's probably in your best interest to transfer to a normal realm, or, if you cannot afford that, then consider creating a new character on a normal realm.
    Grim Campfire

Isn't it pretty old news that they are working more towards the hardcore players? Its been a long while since they announced how they wanted epic items to feel epic again, that gearing up would take longer time etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    Isn't it pretty old news that they are working more towards the hardcore players? Its been a long while since they announced how they wanted epic items to feel epic again, that gearing up would take longer time etc etc
    Well yes and no? I know they've talked about it but I don't think they ever blatantly said it? However, its completely and totally possible that I missed it. Regardless, I'm glad that they are finally making it hard again...hopefully...

Great find, thanks.

The one thing that makes me happy is that the Battle for Gilneas is now gone, making the zone now Alliance territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

Dwarf shaman inc oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlueFire View Post
    So they are finally doing something towards the hardcore group huh? It's about time that they make people actually EARN their gear again.
    Nah, maybe the tears of the once-hardcore group finally annoyed them so much, they had enough and just tossed them something so they will leave them alone, atleast until the next whining thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garots View Post
    Great find, thanks.

The one thing that makes me happy is that the Battle for Gilneas is now gone, making the zone now Alliance territory.
    They didnt say Alliance territory - if you have any source then show me that mate, lol.
    Contested ok, but alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic013 View Post
    They didnt say Alliance territory - if you have any source then show me that mate, lol.
    Contested ok, but alliance?
    Well, the Horde/Forsaken get kicked out TWICE, once in the Worgen starting quests (a damn Goblin/Horde airship gets blown up too), and the second time is when they try to re-enter Gilneas and get their asses kicked out before they even get in the door, during the second attempt to take over Gilneas a huge Alliance army of Northrend veterans arrives in the Capital city and sets up a huge base, so yeah, it's Alliance territory, there's practically zero Horde presence by time you finish the Worgen\Forsaken Gilneas and Silverpine quests, although there is a Forsaken army camping outside the Greymane Wall but I doubt they're going inside sense there's both an Alliance army full of elite veterans and a huge supply of Worgen ready to fight to the death to defend Gilneas, and, you know, the Forsaken leader gets killed outside the damn gates of Gilneas too.

10+ Year Old Account
    woot challenges of leveling i love it

and im glad player housing wont be implemented it would make my favorite cities ghost towns

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

MMO-champ is falling behind on critical information. This can't possibly be a WoR exclusive because it was an interview with some polish site that is available to everyone. Boub sleeping too much just like Garfield.

As far as the changes:

Housing is dumb and I'm glad they finally said NO instead of "maybe but low priority if we do".

Hardcore better just mean no Naxx joke raids but if they make the starting raids Sunwell difficult they will scare away their bread winners (casuals). I hope they at least implement a stacking buff like ICC if they plan on making all raids that hard on normal. If by hardcore they just mean instant heroic avail and forced normal to heroic 5 man progression then I wouldn't really say that's hardcore but still would be a good move.

25-mans need to proportionally give more loot, not just more loot. Obviously there will be more loot because there's 25-lockouts to feed every week instead of 10. 2.5x more drops won't cut it because of the raid forming logistics of a 25-man. If I can't gear up at least faster in 25-man then the format is going to fail.
    Last edited by Eleveneleven; 2010-08-26 at 05:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The balance of high level content (heroics and raids especially) for Cataclysm is going to shift a bit more towards the "hardcore" crowd. Outdoor mob difficulty, heroic modes available immediately, etc.
    I smiled.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

If I may be the first to break out the Tinfoil hats, how can we be sure this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleveneleven View Post
    Hardcore better just mean no Naxx joke raids but if they make the starting raids Sunwell difficult they will scare away their bread winners (casuals). I hope they at least implement a stacking buff like ICC if they plan on making all raids that hard on normal. If by hardcore they just mean instant heroic avail and forced normal to heroic 5 man progression then I wouldn't really say that's hardcore but still would be a good move.
    I think it's merely going to be, exactly as it says, being able to do hard modes as soon as the encounters are available, which is good for both hardcore and casual players. Not necessarily that normal modes will be hard, but I think they learned how beneficial a stacking raid wide buff is for everyone to view most of the content.

As far as gearing progression, I think that's simply just for the first tier and maybe for normal 5 mans into heroic 5 mans. Once tier 12 is out they'll offer the same thing they do now with tier 9, to be able to gear up on your own basically, which isn't bad. However, you'll still have to run normal 5 mans to gear up just do the heroic 5 mans, so gear progression will still be somewhat enforced.

I'm a casual. I pugged my way in wrath to a 6kgs. I quit when ruby sanctum was released and plan to pick it back up when cata is released. I am insanely excited about everything, especially the increased difficulty and necessity for and benefits to guilds.

Remember kids, casual v.s. hardcore isn't black v.s. white.

- Housing will be introduced to WoW some time right after "never".

Favourite line.

- It will probably be a long time after Cataclysm that Blizzard revisits the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor again. Chilton could see them giving Outland and Northrend the same treatment as they fall behind in quality and lore.

Woot, I guessed that right! you know what that also means?! that means that Blood Elves and Dreanai(?) areas will get some treatment too!

sadly it also means they take away from the potential greatness the next expansion has just like with Cata :/

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    If I may be the first to break out the Tinfoil hats, how can we be sure this is true?
    Well, the summary is based off of a video from GamesCom of Tom Chilton saying that stuff, for one.

It's a 30+ minute Q&A if you feel like watching it. I figured most wouldn't so put together the list of interesting points.

I hate what they did to Battle for Gilneas

I was really excited to have a street fight BG