Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadowmourne question!

Right, my dear GM (Retadin) just got shadowmourne, ive spent some (to much) time on the net looking about random n ive came across some threads about canceling the buff thats after the procc so that he can get the stacking stacks again rather than waiting, is this true or am i wrong? my gm is to lazy to test cuz he thinks blablabla etc etc thank you fellow paladin community for helping me in my quest to be awsome (flexing to the gmaster of beeing good)

sorry for bad english!

Yes, canceling the proc will lead to an increase in dps.
    The addon for automatically doing so can be found on this page of EJ-

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t68951-r...ted_3_3_a/p95/

10+ Year Old Account
    Canceling it soon will be better then letting it cancel itself. only slightly but still its an improvment.

Wowwiki confirms that you can't generate more stacks while the buff is active, so yes, if you wanted to start generating more stacks right off the bat you'd ideally want to click off the buff (or make a macro that does it automatically and bind it to your keys).

As to whether it's a DPS increase or loss though, I have no idea.

Tell him he's a useless scrub and doesn't deserve his weapon if he cba to research this. Optionally, you can also tell him to get the Freeme addon, but since he's propably too stupid to use it you can just tell him to macro /cancelaura Soul Fragment to every one of his dps abilities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manageri View Post
    Tell him he's a useless scrub and doesn't deserve his weapon if he cba to research this. Optionally, you can also tell him to get the Freeme addon, but since he's propably too stupid to use it you can just tell him to macro /cancelaura Soul Fragment to every one of his dps abilities.
    The buff is called Chaos Bane, not Soul Fragment.

The spell ID for it is 73422.

---------- Post added 2010-08-26 at 01:34 PM ----------

EDIT: In PvP, it is sometimes better to leave the Chaos Bane buff up.

For ret specifically cancel aura is a pretty significant dps gain do to the increased number of procs. Macroing chaos bane would probably work, not soul fragment, but freeme is generally the prefered method.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just for reference, here are the spells that can proc a Soul Fragment:

White Attacks- Average PPM: 1 per 2 seconds.
    Crusader Strike- Up to 1 shard at a time
    Divine Storm- 1 to 4, depending on the number of targets
    Judgement- Up to 1 shard at a time
    Seal of Righteousness- Up to 1
    Seal of Veng/Corr- Up to 2 (1 for application, 1 for seal hit)
    Seal of Command- 1 to 3, depending on number of targets
    Consecration- 1 per tick, depending on number of targets

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark View Post
    The buff is called Chaos Bane, not Soul Fragment.
    Oops. For lulz though, I'd still tell him to cancel the fragments.

i can't understand why some1 would despell the buff you get for 15 seconds afterwords, can some1 explain it too me please?

Quote Originally Posted by restoxpresso View Post
    i can't understand why some1 would despell the buff you get for 15 seconds afterwords, can some1 explain it too me please?
    yeh, i don't get it either... why would you cancel a positive buff?

I think it is due to the damage the proc gives off when it hits 10 stacks.

But I dunno, I just got mine last night.

from my POV: when you hit 9 stacks you have +270 str, when you hit the 10th, you don't get 300 str, bcuz it "explodes" instantly, and after that, it gives +270 str for 15 secs, so that is the best the "10 procs" can give you.

now, i dont play ANY melee role, but isn't +270 str in 15 seconds more than 1900-2100 dmg?

The buff gives you 270 str, but you can't gain new soul fragments while it's up. Keeping the soul fragments running gives you an average of about half that str + you get the shadow damage procs more often, which ends up being more dps.

Quote Originally Posted by manageri View Post
    The buff gives you 270 str, but you can't gain new soul fragments while it's up. Keeping the soul fragments running gives you an average of about half that str + you get the shadow damage procs more often, which ends up being more dps.
    sounds like 50 dps to me :P but that can make a diff sometimes, thanks for feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by restoxpresso View Post
    from my POV: when you hit 9 stacks you have +270 str, when you hit the 10th, you don't get 300 str, bcuz it "explodes" instantly, and after that, it gives +270 str for 15 secs, so that is the best the "10 procs" can give you.

now, i dont play ANY melee role, but isn't +270 str in 15 seconds more than 1900-2100 dmg?
    Not when the 1900-2100 damage proc happens so frequently.

Wow, fixed that terrible spelling.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2010-08-26 at 07:44 PM.

i dont know about you but i find that quiet alot for such a small thing
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjji View Post
    i dont know about you but i find that quiet alot for such a small thing
    its min/maxing, everything increase is small at high gear levels...

I can't recall for certain and won't waste my time digging through the EJ thread from 5 months ago, but the DPS gain by canceling the Chaos Bane buff for ret is somewhere in the 650 DPS range as I understand it.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Its more than a 50 dps increase to cancel the buff, by how much depends on your gear (specifically your haste.)
    Look through Ej to find the exact math, but basically keeping the buff active gives you an average of 165 str through an encounter, while canceling it gives around 135, yet allows you to proc the shadow damage many more times through the fight (number are not exact.) So you lose around an average of 30 str, but gain almost double the amount of procs.... dps increase.