Page 1 of 2
LastLast

FoL pally viable for H LK10/25?

Apologies if this or a similar thread was already created. If it was, a link will do just fine.

My guild has been working on H LK10 man for about a month and a half maybe. We have a pally that has pretty much always been FoL spec. To get to the point, is FoL spec/geared pally viable for this fight? If so, is it the best option as opposed to a Holy Light pally?

We have decent geared tanks. (No I don't use GS and never will so I'm not putting GS numbers) They are mostly 25 man heroic geared. Normally we have either 2 pallies or 1 pally and 1 DK tank. We run with a disc priest who primarily takes care of Infest and just bubbles his ass off, a resto shaman and this FoL pally.

When we run with both DK and pally tank, we've tried having them both switch roles (e.g. - LK and Horrors) but it seems to be same problem every time. The tanks get whittled down not from unimaginable amounts of damage, but moreso lack of heals when say, for example, a healer gets shadow trap or disease. I realize that both LK and Horrors hit pretty hard but a tank healer should be able to have little trouble especially with the combination of shield blanketing. About 75% of our wipes are due to tank deaths which leads me to believe it's either the tank healer or the tank(s).

I realize I'm being kind of vague and will post more information upon request. Any ideas or information that could shed some light would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FoL is the raid healing spec, If the pally's the tank healer, he should be Holy Light.

FoL is very very very fail, no matter how you look at it :P you should not spec for it you should forget it and spam HL.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

FoL is so outdated and it's the reason why tank dies. HL is the way to go - always. In raids nowadays.

i tried fol throughout all of icc 25 hc and was doing fine untill we started hc lk.
    on that fight i realized how useless a fol spec really was.
    hl just performs better in every possible way.

with almost infinite mana, why would you take 15k fols over 28k hls at almost the same cast speed?

FoL builds are stupid. You will have a nerfed mana pool, and when there is a ton of damage coming, you end up spamming HL, half of which is overhealing due to stacking spellpower for FoL, and it drains your mana pool like no tomorrow.

TL;DR: FoL is bad. Stick with HL and stack intel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, I'm taking a stab at this and saying no, a FoL Paladin isn't viable.

I have to scale up the numbers in my head, but as I was tanking the Lich King on 10-man normal, he was hitting me for roughly 17k to 18k a shot. My fiance is a Holy Paladin, and she wasn't able to keep me up with just FoL. With the exaggerated numbers you'd see in a heroic raid, or even just a normal 25-man raid, I think even a top-geared Holy Paladin would start to fall behind with FoL.

P.S.: I play prot/ret, so if I'm talking complete gibberish, I would hope one of you pro holy players would set me straight.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    FoL is only viable if you have a 2nd Holy Pally that's HL geared.
    For the people that say FoL spec is fail, how is a heal that hits for 10k non crit with a ~1s cast in ICC bad? Obviously you don't only spam FoL. While you have DP + AW or DP + 2p up you still HL.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthson View Post
    FoL is the raid healing spec, If the pally's the tank healer, he should be Holy Light.
    fol isn't for raidhealing. hl + double dipping glyphe is just sooooooooo much better, esp on fights like fetstergut and sindragosa.
    circle of healing to 10 ppl every 1,2 sec? hell yes!
    in if you want to top someone off with a quick fol... fine, 13k will be enough.

---------- Post added 2010-08-27 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DesT. View Post
    FoL is only viable if you have a 2nd Holy Pally that's HL geared.
    For the people that say FoL spec is fail, how is a heal that hits for 10k non crit with a ~1s cast in ICC bad? Obviously you don't only spam FoL. While you have DP + AW or DP + 2p up you still HL.
    a 1sec 10k non crit heal is bad because you can have a 1,2 sec 19k non crit heal...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skollvaldr View Post
    fol isn't for raidhealing. hl + double dipping glyphe is just sooooooooo much better, esp on fights like fetstergut and sindragosa.
    circle of healing to 10 ppl every 1,2 sec? hell yes!
    in if you want to top someone off with a quick fol... fine, 13k will be enough.

---------- Post added 2010-08-27 at 07:57 PM ----------

a 1sec 10k non crit heal is bad because you can have a 1,2 sec 19k non crit heal...
    Glyph is only 5 people.

you're right, my bad. the fact remains.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesT. View Post
    Glyph is only 5 people.
    Circle of healing is also 5 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    What are your other healers (you'll see why i asked this as the final line of this post)?
    2 hl paladins, one resot shaman, 2 disc priests and a druid or holy priest.

Just have a look at ( i think it was ) Premonition.
    They run with 2 FoL palas the hole time. Even LK.

But i think they couldn´t do this without 30% buff

Other healers are Disco priest for shield blanketing and normally a resto shaman.

We switch tanks during soul reaper (Tank with last Vile Spirit up and Tank with LK) so we don't add the stress of keeping up a Soul Reap'ed tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pwner123 View Post
    Just have a look at ( i think it was ) Premonition.
    They run with 2 FoL palas the hole time. Even LK.

But i think they couldn´t do this without 30% buff
    Not just them. Plenty of guilds. 5k SP pallies casting FoL + 30% buff = Never oom.

And to answer the OP, FoL for 10M H LK is viable. You just need almost full BiS gear to pull it off properly.

for h lk 10 use only one tank, best is a pala. so much easier that way.

Thanks for all the quick (almost instant) responses. We'll coax our FoL pally to go HL for the fight.

Deleted
    It's not true that a FoL paladin can't heal it I have a amazing paladin healer in my guild who is FoL specced, and he would never let tanks die. I myself are HL specced and find it better but it's not always true I'm sorry to dissapoint you.

Holy light is far better.