Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Resto shaman help

Well, I have been a pretty good resto shaman, I know the basics but for some odd reason I keep getting out healed by other shamans, now I know gear does not equal skill. But the problem I seem to be having is keeping up with the other healers, and when there is another resto shaman he out heals me, although I always have the least overhealing done. Again, I know the basics and some more about resto shaman but my guild is about to try to down HM LK 10m and Id like to be on top of my game for the fight. I know my guild master does not rate us healers by how much healing we do but if we are keeping the raid up and doing our jobs, and staying alive. I just feel like im holding the others back by my low healing.

My toons name is Fantasmagore troll shaman from Rivendare. (cant post links)

ms resto os ele, but I dont need help on ele. Not dont get me wrong im a good healer, when in other guild raids or 25m I top charts but up against people who know what they are doing, it just seems I dont stand a chance. I use riptide every chance I get so its on cd the whole fight, I earthshield when its down, I chain heal when raid dmg is going out or a group of people get hurt, and my spam heal is lesser heal, and I hardly ever use greater heal, unless I use nature swiftness. any tips on how to improve would be a big help. Also I use healbot config'd for my liking. I tried grid and well I sucked badly.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't mind me to voice my opinion:
    You are doing "bad" on healing meters because you are low on haste, hell low. Cloak, legs, a lot of sp/haste gems instead of haste don't do you well neither. 815 is so far from soft cap.
    I am Healing Way fan, so i recommend to take points from Elemental Weapons and put them to HW. And use riptide hastened HW more, especially if you are 10 man raider.

For LK HC 10 man, i did it only once, with disc priest and that with 25man gear, so i cannot help much, but:
    1st phase i just tank healed, ES/LHW one tank, riptide HW second, more or less
    Transition phase, chain spam tank/melee group, lhw ranged ppl because we did 3 group setup
    2nd phase was more about dps and my partner work, not much to say, just watch for soul reapers, help with infest
    3rd phase was, well bit chaotic, but i managed frostmourn rome with riptide/chain,chain, move move lhw, repeat. Outside, i got one tank to keep (second was spirit soaking)
    What suprised me, was the fact that i was ok with mana when fight ended. You should be too with your trinkets, i think.

Thanks for your input, see I use to stack haste but from what ive been told by not one or two but 3 of the top healers from my realm, was to not stack haste, and that I had to much haste. I and to get socket bonus's were a must so I went for those and tried to get as much haste as I could, while doing that. I will haft to try out. I know when I did have a lot of haste which was around 1010, I casted to fast, and ran out of mana before the fights were even 50% done, it really was shitty. So I regem'd and never had a problem since.. as for my spec, I was planning on respecing. Just for the HM LK fight.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have replenishment in your 10 man group? Because thats only reason i can think of, why you should go OOM.
    For your gear its worth at least 300mp5 (your trinkets both together are around 120-140mp5!)

Generally for resto shammies, haste is worth about 1,5+ spellpower, you can see ICC buff as spellpower buff, so even more reason to go haste (IMHO). If you want to get your own stat values, i would recommend strassart's shaman_hep program: http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t55869-r...n_hep_reports/
    Resto soft cap should be 1269 haste with rai buffs (to get LHW and GlobalCD to 1s) that is usually what shaman goes for. After that more haste for chain or sp for HW/LHW i guesss.

It's easy to heal as a resto shaman, just follow this simple priority list

1) Earthshield up on someone
    2) Chain heal
    3) if chainheal is on cooldown, you're playing the wrong toon.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Use another meta (11MP5/3% increased critical healing effects) to use in a better way your 4T10.

In your tier pieces setup, there's something wrong.

"Bad pieces" are gloves and legs, but you need to pick one of those in order to get your 4T10 bonus. Ok you choosed the gloves. But don't put terrible BoE legs from trash (and even more terrible with the spell/spi enchant, spi is useless for Rsham till 4.0, use spell/sta)...instead, get crafted Ilvl264 legs, and also boots, they BiS because of their crit/haste orientation.

Also, take the spell/crit shoulders enchants, it's better than spell/MP5.

Your spellpower is good, and if you're low on regen, use mojo flasks, like i'm used to do.

Also, the 10 stats on chest isn't very usefull, a 10MP5 is way more valuable imo.

Finally, for your gems : MP5/Haste on blue socket, spell/haste on red and pure haste on yellow socket.

Here is my Rsham, to give you ideads to improve your character :

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...Elune&cn=Citan

(and go get a usefull tradeskill like JC, BS, alchemy, but please, don't go mining...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Removing true regen meta and gem mp5? Thats so wrong.
    Also i would NOT recommend get another profession, Cata is close and mining will be once again worth it.
    10MP5 enchant sounds good

I love getting sockets bonus, they are free stats, as every stat is valuable as Rshaman. And the 3% increased critical effect is the best meta atm, because it makes your CH and your 4T10 more powerful.

And for the profession, it's so easy to make a lot of money, to buy all the ores he'll need to level prof in cata...

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry View Post

2) Chain heal
    This is wrong. Please stop confusing people if you have no idea what are you talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry View Post

2) Chain heal
    Seconding this as wrong, chainheal is not a spam button. I make up the vast majority of my healing in Riptide and LHW.
    More haste is probably key to this, I know it's a big priority for resto shamans, and healing always felt clunky until I got close ish to the softcap.
    You were right to go for socket bonuses as you were gearing up, but now you have decent gear, haste is a priority.
    Like someone else suggested I'd try (if it's in your scope) to get the crafted legs (Leggings of Infused Lightning I believe they are called) to help out with the haste deficit, and consider regemming some bits of gear that have lower socket bonuses for pure haste.

well ur problem aint gear or anything like that.. i got the same "problem" as you do.. the diffrence is that the other shamans/healers are just spamming eventho their target's are at 97% health (obviously im talkin about landing the heal at 97% health, not starting to cast at 97%).. wich means no manacontrol or anything whatsoever (becomes obvious once u see the overhealing done) so yea.. its no problem with you mate.. ur just better then they are =)
    Last edited by Dark_Widget; 2010-08-28 at 11:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleraith View Post
    Seconding this as wrong, chainheal is not a spam button. I make up the vast majority of my healing in Riptide and LHW.
    More haste is probably key to this, I know it's a big priority for resto shamans, and healing always felt clunky until I got close ish to the softcap.
    You were right to go for socket bonuses as you were gearing up, but now you have decent gear, haste is a priority.
    Like someone else suggested I'd try (if it's in your scope) to get the crafted legs (Leggings of Infused Lightning I believe they are called) to help out with the haste deficit, and consider regemming some bits of gear that have lower socket bonuses for pure haste.
    I love you, sir. I thought I was the only shaman that doesn't spam CH like a TBC tool. Pretty much every shaman on my server is an idiot and I outheal every single one. As for the OP, yeah I would assume that the shaman just cast when a healthbar moves, as would be shown by their overhealing. Nothing to worry about so long as you're doing your job ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Mogrutana View Post
    I love you, sir. I thought I was the only shaman that doesn't spam CH like a TBC tool. Pretty much every shaman on my server is an idiot and I outheal every single one. As for the OP, yeah I would assume that the shaman just cast when a healthbar moves, as would be shown by their overhealing. Nothing to worry about so long as you're doing your job ^_^
    /bow :3
    Way back when I was a wee just dinged 80 space goat, I USED to spam chainheal, and then my GM basically 'had a chat' with me over vent and pointed out where I'd gone wrong. Theorycrafting websites and forums are a bit of an addicton for me too, so I tend to read a lot into mechanics and other player experiences. It helps, a lot, so I guess I have that trait and my GM to thank for actually being able to play that class to a high standard

I'd agree with the people pushing haste over SP, given the 30% buff more SP isn't going to help you as much as more haste simply because of overhealing. Also haste goes a small way to helping fix the greatest weakness of resto which is the poor mobility. Easiest option is to replace the horrible legs with the Leggings of Woven Death.

You say that you're working on LK-10-Hc, but you don't say what the healing setup is. I'm presuming Resto/disco in which case you'll be primarily tank healing and Healing Way will indeed be a key talent. This is probably the hardest of the possible 2-healer setups for Hc-Lk so good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sirzeek View Post
    Thanks for your input, see I use to stack haste but from what ive been told by not one or two but 3 of the top healers from my realm, was to not stack haste, and that I had to much haste. I and to get socket bonus's were a must so I went for those and tried to get as much haste as I could, while doing that. I will haft to try out. I know when I did have a lot of haste which was around 1010, I casted to fast, and ran out of mana before the fights were even 50% done, it really was shitty. So I regem'd and never had a problem since.. as for my spec, I was planning on respecing. Just for the HM LK fight.
    Whoever told you NOT to gem Haste was wrong, period. The main reason you get outhealed is because they land their heals faster than you do. As far as the OOM'g out part, i dunno. You have more MP5 than me and 2 regen trinkets (if you use Sliver on CD) and if i dont go below 50% Mana unless im dead. Replenishment may be an issue with your comp as said before though.

Your spec needs some changing, IMO. Elemental weapons is garbage (45sp), and not having Healing Way is bad (2pc bonus makes HW a 1 sec cast after riptides, provided you have the right Haste to begin with). Also, LHW glyph is terrible too, Earthliving Weapon is much better.

People have already given decent advice on your gear, but if you can get the Gloves from 25 Fester (Unclean Surgical), id take those and get Tier pants for your 4 set.

Quote Originally Posted by Citan_Elune View Post
    Use another meta (11MP5/3% increased critical healing effects) to use in a better way your 4T10.

and also boots, they BiS because of their crit/haste orientation

Also, the 10 stats on chest isn't very usefull, a 10MP5 is way more valuable imo.
    Ok, the 3% crit Meta is better, for you, since you run 2 Mp5 trinkets. Its a wash if you only have 1 (Solace or PLD) so him changing it is a waste. Also, how can you say 10Mp5 to chest is better than 10 stats, and then you yourself use 10 stats? Dont hand out advice if you dont even do it yourself. The crafted boots are good, but not BiS (264 BiS??). Plagued Scientists are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Azyoulike View Post
    I'd agree with the people pushing haste over SP, given the 30% buff more SP isn't going to help you as much as more haste simply because of overhealing. Also haste goes a small way to helping fix the greatest weakness of resto which is the poor mobility. Easiest option is to replace the horrible legs with the Leggings of Woven Death.

You say that you're working on LK-10-Hc, but you don't say what the healing setup is. I'm presuming Resto/disco in which case you'll be primarily tank healing and Healing Way will indeed be a key talent. This is probably the hardest of the possible 2-healer setups for Hc-Lk so good luck.

]Resto sham / disc priest / holy pally.

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinettik View Post
    People have already given decent advice on your gear, but if you can get the Gloves from 25 Fester (Unclean Surgical), id take those and get Tier pants for your 4 set.
    I only raid 10m, I raid 25m but maybe like once a month if that.. my realm blows 90% of the raids still disband after the first wing.
    Last edited by sirzeek; 2010-08-28 at 07:57 PM.

You're speaking about cloth items, that i won't pick up in my gear setup (remember, armor mastery bonuses when 4.0 hits, and more likely because we only got 2 drops in like...30 kills (normal and HC) of festergut, that's why i'll never be able to pick these, so, imo, iLvl 264 are BiS.)

Finally, I adviced him to get 10MP5 as he has mana regen problems, it's not my case, so, 10 stats is a little more valuable for me.

---------- Post added 2010-08-28 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sirzeek View Post
    ]Resto sham / disc priest / holy pally.

This. 3 healers ATM especially disc+holy pal lets you with a terrible niche to fill, Infest is negated by disc priest and holy paly with the good glyphe can heal tanks+melee...so, you just have a very little healing to do...

You're speaking about cloth items, that i won't pick up in my gear setup (remember, armor mastery bonuses when 4.0 hits, and more likely because we only got 2 drops in like...30 kills (normal and HC) of festergut, that's why i'll never be able to pick these, so, imo, iLvl 264 are BiS.)
    Hmm. So you wont use cloth items because of a new Expansions feature? You do realize you wont use this gear at 85, right? And, just because you have shit luck on drops, doesnt mean you get to change the BiS list to fit your current gear. BiS is BiS, dont go around spewing inaccuracies.

As far as the chest enchant, 10 Mp5 isnt going to make or break him. Essentially, this will give him 2 more casts over the 10stats (165 static mana) in a 5 min fight (600 mana returned) if hes going OOM anyways.

Hum armor mastery will be used since level 80, so...

Ok, I'll call them mail BiS, are you allright with this?

And the 10MP5 awards two more casts, maybe the casts which will make the difference before manatide is up, or something like that..

This. 3 healers ATM especially disc+holy pal lets you with a terrible niche to fill, Infest is negated by disc priest and holy paly with the good glyphe can heal tanks+melee...so, you just have a very little healing to do...
    I'd have to agree with this guy - you'd be better off speccing elly and dpsing while throwing an occasional offheal and managing necrotic plague, then leaving the healing to the Disc+pally.